Monterey Deluxe review by Fernandes

Fernandes: Monterey Deluxe

I play mostly classic blues-rock and hard rock, with occasional interest in a good metal song! But I also like a good clean sound. After 30 years of playing, I'm very discriminating. The sound of this guitar just blew me away. Seymour Duncan: Nothing more needs to be said. I'm using larger tube amps for performance and a Marshall AVT 20 for practice and this thing sounds amazing through them all!

I have played guitar for 30 years and in that time I have played dozens of different brands of guitar. Recently my son joined a band (he's a drummer) and I began helping them out. So I began shopping for a mid-priced guitar with a fixed bridge and set neck for downtuning so I could play along with the modern stuff! I went to all the big stores and tried all the "affordables" out there. Usually I found each guitar would have one feature that was good and then several others that were mediocre. Usually, I found poor reasonance and a bad fret job, cheap controls and sloppy finish! Growing frustrated, the last place I went was a small locally owned shop. Instead of row after row of mass produced brands, the owner carried a few very good guitars at reasonable prices, and this Fernandes Monteray was the one I chose. Oh, I realize it's kind of old fashioned by today's standards, but then the other Fernandes models I tried played just as well as this one. Bottom line here: a friend of mine just bought a USA-made PRS and he had me do the set up on it for him. It's a beautiful guitar, but it ain't $2,000 more beautiful looking or playing than this Fernandes! If you are in the market for a mid-priced guitar and you have a Fernandes dealer within reasonable shopping distance, don't buy until you give them a try. Disclaimer: no, I don't work for Fernandes. But after all Internet surfing and the miles I have driven searching for a quality mid-priced guitar, you can just imagine how I felt when I played this one for the first time! I can't say enough good things about it.

Solid as a rock! I accidentily ran the damn headstock into a heavy metal music stand while plugging it in for the first time, I just cringed and looked down. Not even a mark! Wow. I got lucky, but it proved the finish is pretty tough. Better than some of my more expensive guitars. All of the hardware is down tight and feels solid!

I've been told Fernandes guitars are produced in relatively small numbers compared to the others. That makes sense because they have nearly flawless fit and finish, I couldn't believe what I was seeing for the price! Then I played it. The best neck I've ever played on a guitar in this price range (and believe me, I tried them all several times over the course of months before parting with my hard-earned money). I won't give it a 10 only because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and finish can always be improved! But some flaws add character, etc. Overall, this has the fit and finish of a much more expensive guitar.

Fernandes is a Japanese company, but this guitar was made in Korea. Mahogany neck and body with a finish that lets the real wood shine through (not a phony finish like on some)! Fantastic carved and figured maple top with several bindings and a bound headstock (although I still would have bought it without all that). Nice Grover tuners, Gotoh bridge and real Seymour Duncans! The heavy textured metal knobs move like they are set in stone, nothing feels cheap on this guitar. I didn't get the Fernandes' trademark "Sustainer" system because I have a lot of other gear and I didn't want that for this particular guitar. Otherwise, I've heard only good things about that device. Guitars without the sustainer get a coil tap.

Blackdogxx
    A bolt on guitar setup is easily corrected with a shim at the neck pocket and nut slot adjustments by a setup guy (about $20-30). Fernandes (I own a Dragonfly) were very good quality in every way.
    Blackdogxx
    I got a lightly use Monterey in eBay for $100 and about the only shortcomings are the bridge parts are 2nd rate, but adequate and the pickups are decent but no more (no adjustable polepieces). GFS makes some pickups that can wake this guitar up and the bridge (tailpiece doesn't affect tone hardly) is easily replaced with a nice one. The thin body is bevelled somewhat like an SG and the shape is much like a Les Paul. Good tuners, quiet, good chromed jack plate and medium jumbo frets unworn on a striped and attractive rosewood fretboard. Neck is maple or similar and no dents or marks anywhere. So, $100 for a nice guitar that is light and resonant and well made. I'm happy.
    Separatistmike
    I have the same one as in the picture. Got it for 320 (originally listed at $400) in a music go round. I dont think they know what they had. One of the best sounding guitars i've ever played period.
    over2time2
    They are better than EC-1000. For one they have no metal parts corroding or losing color.
    sambargun
    Whats the price? Good review anyway, your assesment is spot on. What are the pickups, SDJB+ SD59s ?
    qotsa1998
    Wowww. Very nice. Looks alot like the ESP Eclipse guitars, but i think this would be great all-around, and not just for hard rock/metal. And i like the inlys more on this one, as well as the way the controls are layed out. What are the Duncans on it?
    jpk6044
    I purchased the Monterey elite model with the sustainer pick-up from american musical supply (online) for $600 + tax which was about $400 less than retail and the cheapest price I could find (you can get a link right from the Fernandes website). AMS also allows you pay for the guitar with 3 payments using your credit card without interest charges (I don't work for them....). It's a great guitar and the sustainer pick-up is a lot of fun. It adds a whole new dimension of sonic capability and controllable feedback. I got the honey-burst model which is one of the nicest quilted-style finishes I've seen. Easily better than any Les Paul burst and rivals the PRS quilted finishes. One caveat: when purchasing the guitar online, the set-up you receive is horrible. You'll need to set the guitar up yourself or it just won't stay in tune. It has a tune-o-matic bridge which I've always been a fan of due to its ability to be customized. The active pickups sound great and the sustainer feature, as mentioned, is a blast. I own 10 guitars including a Les Paul and this guitar stacks up quite nicely against the LP for much less money - very satisfied for what I paid.