ME300 review by First Act

• Reviewer's score: 2.4 Junky
First Act: ME300

Purchased from: Walmart

I run mine through a Fender 25 Watt amp with reverb and a Boss D-1 Distortion pedal. It comes with a small and cheap 10 watt amp w/overdrive that really doesnt't do to much. About a year after purchase the amp stopped working all together. I play mostly rock and metal and the guitar was decent sounding for it. It was noisy when you Switch to the neck pickup, but it gives off a warm and bright tone, it's decent to play the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine, or making somewhat acustic sounds such as the intro to Fade to Black. My guitar came with two single coils and a humbucker. The humbucker is usually what I play on or I will use the neck. I usually don't use the middle pickup. The guitar comes with a volume and two tone knobs, which really don't affect anything.

Overall if you want to get a starter guitar, only get this if the kid is young, or if you really don't think they'll stick with the instrument. Squier, Ibanez, BC Rich, and Epiphone all put out way better starter packs, but they are a bit more expensives. I've had the guitar for 2 years and it's still the only guitar I own besides my cheap yard sale acustic. If this guitar was lost or stolen I think I would thank the person and go buy something better. The only thing I love about this guitar is it plays music and I tought myself to play on it. The guitar was a surprise Christmas gift so there wasn't much I could ask anyone or compare it to but I recomend buying a Squire or Epiphone starter pack.

I would never even think of playing this guitar at a gig unless my guitars necks broke off or something catastrophic like that happened. It would probally be worth re-stringed a guitar with a floyd rose than play this Live. The strap buttons actually popped off because of bad screws put in, so I would also recomend replacing the buttons all together with bigger screws incase the holes get stripped, and if you want to use the strap it comes with get strap locks because the strap easily comes off. The jack you put the chord in has recently become very lose and the chord it came with wont even stay in any more. Besides the smudges and small scratches, the finish has held up decent over almost 2 years of playing.

The guitar is not a great one by any means, but there wasn't to much that was wrong with it right out of the box besides just being extremly out of tune. I would recomend putting on new strings almost immediatly though. The finish isnt great and picks up small scratches and smudges easy, and the pick guard is next to impossible to get to look nice. The action was a little high out of the box, but nothing that made me not want to learn to play.

21 fret bolt on neck. I don't know what kind of wood it's made out of or where it's from, but it's a piece of junk. Mines got a double cut away body done in a glossy black color. I don't know exactly what the bridge is, but it's also a piece of junk. First there are screws in it that are constantly getting stripped and lowering th eaction to an unplayable level, and the bridge just also makes it hard to PM. I don't know if I just have bad technique, but I borrowed my friends Ibanez and I could PM just fine. My guitar came with a decent strap (falls off often) and a crappy cable that has now stopped working.

Farewellmyhell
    TehLukeh
    Interesting. I have a little more expensive First Act (ME505) and also have problems with the G string staying in tune.
    JD Close
    I'm holding my first guitar (First Act FG-130 Acoustic), I have never had a problem with it! P.S. I got it for christmas when I was five for $60 at waltard lol
    crshanna
    ballachick010
    I have this guitar. and since I'm just learning, it's better than nothing. I wish i had a better one though...
    nicksmith423
    You have git to be kidding me. One of my buddies had this guitar, AND THE FUCKING FRETBOARD FELL OFF THE NECK! That's a quality guitar right there...
    BenAffleck
    "and for the wammy, i can whale on it and it sounds phenominal" HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA HAHAHA HAHA HAHA HA HA HA... oh my god... you can 'whale' on it.... dear lord, that made me laugh.
    DrewMeyer
    crshanna wrote: i have had this guitar for 5 years and it is the only one i have. it is actually pretty great in my opinion. besides the tone knobs not doing jack ****, i have never had a problem with tuning, it can stay tuned for about a month of steady playing surprisingly. the bridge isn't great, but not bad. i have wowed many people with this guitar, and can play any style with ease. and for the wammy, i can whale on it and it sounds phenominal, the only problem i've had, was after 5 years, the nut broke by me putting heavy bottoms on it, which is my fault. i would recommend this to a beginner of any age, because it is solid. maybe i just got a good on,e but the craftsmanship is great. i really don't have a complaint with this. (side note) i just played a $3000 les paul, and i would choose my first act over it. even though that may be the craziest thing ever heard.
    Also, if you actually knew crap about guitars after playing for five years, you should know any guitar over $200 can easily beat this poc first act to the ground, much less a $3000 les paul. Idiot
    DrewMeyer
    Normally I wouldn't even put a comment on here, but I decided to put in my two-cents. I find it incredibly stupid when people say they have had this guitar for five years and still love it. I have been playing for a year, and I have already sold my starting squire tele and upgraded to an Epiphone Dot (amazing guitars, by the way. Not perfect by any means, but surprisingly awesome for an epiphone). I really don't see how someone can play guitar for five years and own a poc guitar like this. Also, I find it stupid when someones like "I play blues, and it handles overdrive and distortion perfectly" because I doubt you know the first thing about even playing blues, you've been playing for about a week probably. Anyways, there you go.
    warbeast19
    If you want a good starter guitar, try the Gibson Mini Flying-V or an Ibanez Jumpstart guitar. ANYTHING BUT THIS PEICE OF CRAP.
    warbeast19
    dr00pa wrote: This is aweful! I did a dive bomb and the bridge SNAPPED apart! I returned it for a new one. The new one has horrible craftsmanship... wiring a mess, tuning/action aweful, this is the worst POS ever and ill never buy another. Paint scratches easy too.
    what do ya expect? its $50 and its from Walmart!lol
    scooter1
    As well as a canoe paddle, makes an EXCELLENT pizza spatula, rather than guitar. I work at a well-known guitar shop. People bring these Walmart wonders in for repair, wondering why this or that broke, then cant understand why it costs 55.00 to make an unplayable guitar work;we usually try to tell them to shitcan it and buck up for a real starter guitar.
    H, Omitted
    You can't get decent harmonics with these like u can with Schecters, Hamers, hell u can't even get Charvel high-gain harmonics with this guitar. yesterday i played on a +$1000 ESP les-paul style that would put this thing in the ground.
    UnknownRockStar
    i heard somewhere that you can also use first act guitars to row a boat
    lol yeahi would too Edit: yeah it stinks
    UnknownRockStar
    i heard somewhere that you can also use first act guitars to row a boat lol yeah i would use this like that too
    ldnovelo
    Farewellmyhell : I had it and it works well for a beginners guitar. Just out of curiosity, I'm repainting the guitar, swapping out the neck, bridge, and the whole pickguard assembely in favor of an EMG KH-21 setup. And if I still dont like it, I'll take out the EMGs, the neck and the new bridge and scrap the damn thing and just buy another body from Warmoth or something.
    I hope Its not too late too tell you: DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Buy a EMG set for good guitar, and use this one as wood for your cnimney so santa claus learns to not bring you this piece of shit guitar
    80smetalpro0987
    worst peace of crap ever i got it for free from a freind thats how crappy it is i just hit people with it my good gutiar is a sechter dimand series hollow body built on nech scorpion ind has dunicam desighn destorsion pick ups its so good
    m3rsonary88
    Mine has worked acceptably for 2+ years, but the tone knobs do nothing, and it refuses to squeal.
    gaa-7
    just a losey guitar that looks good but sounds horrible especially with the amp that it comes with
    gaa-7
    well i have this guitar and im looking for a new one and i say get the epiphone les paul speciel 2 besides this this guitar is so bad that if i play a cord on it literally just sounds like noise
    Beowolff
    Literally I would have to actually PHYSICALLY see the disastrous 'trash' guitars you guys are snickering about here. Why? Several reasons, but number one thru a lot of experience I've heard ALL the 'supposed' horror stories... but when push came to shove, only 1 out of 20 could (or would) show the proof of all that horror. go figure. That's not to say that First Act are great guitars, they're not (obviously) yet though I've seen plenty of them over the years, and even own one myself that was given to me as a gift, I've NEVER see anything like what's been said here. Now it's not that I'm just lucky and by some cosmic coincidence happened to NEVER come across the multitude of problems described here with these guitars...hell, I ain't THAT lucky. lol! Not at all. So...it must be ANOTHER reason, and that reason is pure bullshite. If those guitars were THAT bad, on average, NOBODY would ever buy one and that company would go out of business. Plus, with that many rotten eggs floating around most certainly I would have actually seen at least 'one' of them, which I have not. So my educated guess is that MOST of the bull about them (if true) was actually CAUSED by the users themselves. After all, you can't drop, punt, kick, throw, hammer on, jab into a wall, throw in the trunk unprotected and seriously 'expect' ANY guitar to look or perform very good. And with the low cost ones, you can pretty well bet that THEY won't take such abuse. However, if properly used and cared for, they work pretty well, especially for beginners and or people that simply can't afford higher cost instruments. Anybody that treats ANY of their musical equipment like crap deserves the crap they get back from it. Especially with the lower end of the market products... just common sense, really.