ME301 review by First Act

• Reviewer's score: 2.2 Junky
First Act: ME301

Purchased from: Wal-Mart

This doesn't suit my rock and roll style. I have a First Act amp. It is very noisy when the tone is all on 1. This guitar can make a sucky rock sound and an average clean tone and the sound of it drives me crazy. When I have it on distortion it sounds really crappy. That isn't much variety.

I play hard rock. This is not a good match. I have been playing guitar for about 3-4 years. I have a First Act amp, and a Levi strap. Yes, I wish I could have asked for a Washburn or something like that, but I didn't know that much about guitars when I got it. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't care at all. I would definitley buy something else. I love nothing about this guitar. It's a beginner guitar. I hate the noise it makes. My favorite feature is the tone knobs. I compared to a Washburn N-2 and it blew my old guitar out of the water. I chose this one because I was a beginner. I wish this guitar wouldn't go out of tune and I wish it had a killswitch.

This guitar will not withstand Live playing because, the strings stretch too much. Whenever I fingertapped the strings the other night, the string broke. The hardware seems like it would last. The strap buttons are solid. I cannot depend on this guitar at all. It's that bad I would not use it on a gig without a backup. The finish wears off with lots of playing.

It was set-up pretty nicely. The pickups are pretty well adjusted. The bookmatched top was properly built and so was the routed bridge. It didn't come with any flaws, but when I started using it the strings stretched a lot. The action was built pretty good.

This guitar was made in 2005 and I think it was made in the U.S. The guitar has 21 frets. The neck is thin. It has a solid-top. The body and neck woods is made of mahogany wood. The finish is satin, I think. The body style is a double-cutaway. I don't know what the bridge style is, it's definitely not Tune-O-Matic. It has passive electronics. The controls are volume, two tone knobs, and a five-way selector. The pickup configuration is normal and the model of the pickups are First Act. The tuners are non-locking. This didn't come with any other accesories.

qotsa1998
    Sorry for the double post, but u got it from Wal-Mart. And pretty much any guitar from the cheapest place on earth isnt gonna be good.
    Angelgiest
    Even starting you need a good instrument. For example what kind of a begginer will keep playing if the guitar rattles or detunes fast? After problems like that they many times quite because they feel like they can't make a good sound, but that's just my view on it.
    The Pickle Man
    First Act actually has a very good custom shop, and their better amp models are actually really good as well. Just avoid the $50 beginner crap.
    ExtremeMetalFTW
    who ant tell the difference from a whammy bar and any other kind of bridge? its either string thru, tune-o-matic, fixed bridge, FR dual-locking trem, or a whammy bar
    MxGuitar
    when i was looking 4 my 1st electric guitar, i was considering this guitar, but.... it just didnt seem good at all, so i bght myself an Epiphone SG =P
    Vrstone87
    If you are getting a N-2 and spending nearly $800 on it then you might as well get a Ibanez, ESP or Schecter.
    _SamuraI_
    The body and neck woods is made of mahogany wood.
    Says at the top that Body is poplar, and amost any person can tell that the neck is definitely NOT made of mahogany...plus the fact that the top says maple...
    james4
    [QUOTE=black diamond7]The bookmatched top was properly built[/QUOTE] It doesn't have a bookmatched top, does it?
    zoastev
    get a $99 epiphone les paul junior, it's better than a first act guitar and it stays in tune better than u would expect im putting an EMG in my junior
    losing_life
    EllttEll wrote: eh if your just starting this is great, but after the first year or so, when you actually have an idea of what your doing get a new one, personally Harmony makes a better starter
    Ive got a Harmony, It was a peace of S**t, but I totally redid it and it sounds great!
    black diamond7
    guys im getting a washburn N-2 for Christmas, i couldn't get a different guitat coz i couldn't afford it, not everybody is rich.
    qotsa1998
    My friend has a First Act Telecaster copy he was givem the neck is like a baseball bat almost, and even tho i havent plugged it in yet, he says its pretty crappy. Brent hinds has a custom First Act, which actually looks kinda cool. Lyn-Z from Mindless Self-Indulgence has a bass from First Act. So even if their prodiction models are bad, they do pretty good custom stuff apparently.
    EllttEll
    KeNnYVaNhAlEn89
    ...i broke a string on my Ibanez RG5EX1 last night so I have to use this piece of crap tomorrow night at band practice for the Baptist college group im in...I just got a new amp too! I think I may smash it and turn it into a clock to go on my wall...or firewood.
    USAPeavey
    This was not a good review... In the features section, I didn't see him mention one negative thing about the guitar, and yet he still gave it a 1, why?? That being said, first act can make some damn nice guitars, but this isn't one of them.
    Vrstone87
    I had a first act for about 3 months until I bought my first Ibanez.....I went Nirvana on that First Act ASAP.
    Fama
    Testing out a guitar on a First Act amp doesn't exactly sound like a good idea.
    Y00p
    Dude, if you'r playing for 4 years and your still rocking your socks on a First Act, it's time to get a ****ing new guitar! It's actually a guitar MEANT as a starter, not to please people who've been playing for 4 years, and it does it's job pretty well.
    webbster87
    i got one of these and its ok! my main guitar is a schecter damien-FR! got it for $400 best damn thing for any type of music!
    losing_life
    I would NEVER go with First Act guitars, the straps and picks and stuff are good, but any guitar you can get at "Wal-Mart" most likely isn't going to be good.