ME301 review by First Act

First Act: ME301

Purchased from: Wal-Mart

Considering all the music styles that I play, which is pretty much everything, this lil' coc sucker gets the job done. It's not glamerous and it's not perfect for any specific tone, short of soft rock and a little classic rock, but hey what more could you ask for in a cheap guitar? Right now I am playing it through a Silvertone practice amp, but I've played it through my friend's Vox 30 watt and it sounds pretty good. If you know what you are doing, you can make this guitar sing with a semi Vintage tone, but most beginners don't, and this is what it is, a beginner's guitar.

For someone like me Who plays just about everyting, this guitar is suitable for me. It's no American Strat or Les Paul, but it's super cheap. I've been playing for just under four years and I have had this one for three, and I have gotten to know it pretty well. For the money I paid, it is a great guitar, I can't stress that enough. If it were stolen or lost then I probably would just save for a better guitar because at this point in my personal career it isn't worth getting another one. But if you are a beginner, then this is a pretty good guitar for you. Check it out!

The ME-301 is a good guitar, although I wouldn't recommend playing Live with it. It's a practice guitar, that's it. While you could play Live with it, there are better choices to play with out there. But, this guitar is very solidly built, I'm very surpurised at it. The hardware is pretty good, except the screws that hold the tuners to the head aren't driven in far enough into the wood, so the tuners are a bit loose when I replace the strings. The strap buttons are solid as rocks on this guitar. I use them all the time and they haven't so much as wiggled. For example, I had owned this guitar for about a year, and my friend bought a Fender Strat. A few months later while we were playing together, his back strap button started coming really loose, and a few weeks later it just came out. He used a strap just as much as I did and mine held strong is still is today. I've dropped it quite a few times, because I'm clumsy, and as a result, there are a few noticable scratches because of the glossy black finish this guitar has. But don't get me wrong, the finish is pretty darn good for what it's worth. It hasn't worn out yet.

I think that the guitar was set up at the factory very well. The pickups were adjusted nicely, no flaws with the guitar at all. The only thing I have changed so far is the action. The action was set pretty high from the factory and I adjusted it myself. It wasn't that hard, it just took some time to do it to my preferances. It came with the allen wrench to do it with, as well.

This is a fairly new guitar. Mine was made in 2005, and I have been playing it since. It has a nice rosewood fretboard and a maple neck. I'm not sure of the body, but I think mine is something along the lines of alder. It has a glossy black finish that smudges easily, and that is a downside to it. But the Strat style body is comfortable and I could play it all day long. The three Vintage pickups are nothing special, but they get the job done if you play some rock or if you like to play any oldies or stuff like that. The five way Switch lets you specify your tone nicely though, and I tend to ust it a lot. The trem bridge is a little stiff and hard to wammy on but what can you expect from a 150 dollar guitar? 2 tone knobs and a volume give you pretty much all you need and the crome tuners are nice too. Although they wern't locking tuners like I would have liked them to be. It only came with 2 allen wrenches, one to adjust the action, and one to adjust the truss rod. Overall, a great value for its money.

DimeFan82066
    ranikade3
    Why would you bother writing this, its a F**KING FIRST ACT! your getting so into it... Just play your 7 string kramer and listen to Despised Icon. The lower the better right??? Wow... you should do the oppostite of living.
    DimeFan82066 wrote: Biggest piece of shit guitar I own.The bridge sucks.The tuners suck and don't keep it in tune not to mention the come lose. May be better with some grovers but the stock tuners aren't standard size so the peg holes need drilled out.May be a better guitar if it had a better bridge on it.The neck sucks.Mine was bowed and needed some major truss rod adjustments.The frets are bad and need leveled.The fret wires started pulling out of mine after a couple months.I mostly use this guitar for letting kids beat on.For the price of this guitar you can go to musicians friend and get something better for less money like a dean or a kramer