ME506 review by First Act

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
First Act: ME506

Purchased from: Wal-Mart

The guitar sounds how you think a 100 dollar guitar would sound. It sounds okay for blues, but better with distortion with its high output humbucking pickup. I will usually play this guitar with a Fender SP-10 which only has gain, and different tone controls. There isn't much of a variety of what can be done with this guitar. It sounds worse the higher you get around the 12th fret. As for blues, I would pick a different guitar if that's what you are going to play. There are different guitars to get that sound better for that type of playing.

Overall this might be a good guitar for beginners but I wouldn't suggest it for more experienced guitarists. I've been playing for about two years now, and have surpassed the playing level of this guitar. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't rebuy it, I would probably go buy a different one. What I do like about the guitar is that it is pretty easy to tune and is okay for playing power chords and that type of music. What I don't like is its reliability and that I've constantly been having to fix it.

This guitar probably wouldn't last for live playing. As mentioned above, it isn't a very reliable guitar and I would suggest not buying it if you are planning on playing gigs with it. However, the finish is good and I would not expect it to wear off or scratch even with a lot of playing.

The guitar was not set up well when it was made. Two or three times I had to solder wires back together. Also the nut for the cord to be plugged in comes loose and constantly needs to be reajusted. This will sometimes cause the wire to move around and so it is not easy to play. Also, the strings were a little bit too high off of the neck so I had to adjust it as well (personal preference).

I'm not sure when and where the guitar were made. It is a Standard 22 fret guitar with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It has a black glossy finish that doesn't scratch easily. It's a single cutaway body style with a Tune-O-Matic bridge style. The only controls on the guitar are volume and tone. The accessories that game with the guitar were: a guitar strap, 10' cable, and some picks.

MetalManiacal
    that thing looks ugly, i wouldn't buy it. I've played a few First Acts before and both the sound and action were pretty bad. but i'm sure they're great for beginner guitar.
    Vrstone87
    They really aren't even that great for a beginners guitar. I'd recommend an Ibanez GAX model for a starter..
    Hohn042
    actually i made a mistake and I don't know how to edit it. The bridge style is actually "string-through" instead of Tune-O-Matic
    1201ZJ
    I Have One and i think it is a great begginer guitar, yes the one in the pic looks ugly, i think we can all agree on it, but my inverted white finnish with black pickgaurd makes it look much better.
    Cannibalhell666
    My friend has this guitar its not really a great guitar in one month like almost everything broke on it thats why you dont get a guitar from Wal-Mart point blank.