ME506 Review

manufacturer: First Act date: 08/12/2008 category: Electric Guitars
First Act: ME506
The First Act ME506 Single Cutaway Electric Guitar features a custom solid body with a single cutaway design that delivers rich and warm sound. With a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, the ME506 is both sturdy and stylish.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 2.5
 5.8
 4.2
 2,786
reviews (2) 30 comments vote for this gear:
ME506 Reviewed by: Hohn042, on january 18, 2008

Purchased from: Wal-Mart

Features: I'm not sure when and where the guitar were made. It is a Standard 22 fret guitar with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It has a black glossy finish that doesn't scratch easily. It's a single cutaway body style with a Tune-O-Matic bridge style. The only controls on the guitar are volume and tone. The accessories that game with the guitar were: a guitar strap, 10' cable, and some picks. // 9

Sound: The guitar sounds how you think a 100 dollar guitar would sound. It sounds okay for blues, but better with distortion with its high output humbucking pickup. I will usually play this guitar with a Fender SP-10 which only has gain, and different tone controls. There isn't much of a variety of what can be done with this guitar. It sounds worse the higher you get around the 12th fret. As for blues, I would pick a different guitar if that's what you are going to play. There are different guitars to get that sound better for that type of playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up well when it was made. Two or three times I had to solder wires back together. Also the nut for the cord to be plugged in comes loose and constantly needs to be reajusted. This will sometimes cause the wire to move around and so it is not easy to play. Also, the strings were a little bit too high off of the neck so I had to adjust it as well (personal preference). // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar probably wouldn't last for live playing. As mentioned above, it isn't a very reliable guitar and I would suggest not buying it if you are planning on playing gigs with it. However, the finish is good and I would not expect it to wear off or scratch even with a lot of playing. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall this might be a good guitar for beginners but I wouldn't suggest it for more experienced guitarists. I've been playing for about two years now, and have surpassed the playing level of this guitar. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't rebuy it, I would probably go buy a different one. What I do like about the guitar is that it is pretty easy to tune and is okay for playing power chords and that type of music. What I don't like is its reliability and that I've constantly been having to fix it. // 7

ME506 Reviewed by: Nuclearbomb8900, on august 12, 2008

Features: This guitar is junk, but it has fairly good sound, but high-notes could give a hummingbird a heart attack. I'm not sure when it was made, but I got it 9 months ago when I started playing. I never got lessons but it wasn't too hard to start playing. 22 frets, maple fretboard, natural neck, and a high gloss black finish. The volume knob needs tyo be at max or you don't get any good sound out of it. Not many accessories, and I only got a one-knob amp with it (it's a miracle I didn't pay for it). Also, keep in mind that I got it second-hand. Guitar good, amp terrible. // 7

Sound: Right now, I'm using D'Arddio XL gauge strings, and I get a solid crunch. I'm using a bottom-of-the-line Dart 10 Kustom amplifier, and with the limited overdrive settings, I got a nice tone, but it doesn't have a good deep sound. Also, on 1st fret, E string, on all the strings I've tried, I've always had this sound coming from the string vib-ing on the fret metal. For that reason, I just avoid the F5 chord. Overall though, you'll need a good deep bass if you want to play rich sounding metal and/or punk, which is where I want to be. It's as basic as you can get! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it in a state of crisis: completely out of tune, and I don't even care about setup, but new strings tend to make everything better, and I re-stringed this thing twice so far. I abused this guitar, so the fact of having no stand desimated the finish with dots of natural wood. However, the wires connecting the 9mm jack and the electronics were horrendously welded, and I had to bring out which holds it for all of 5 minutes. Also, I have to constantly be pick-tightening phillips head screws or else the 9mm port will fall out! // 1

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is the kind of guitar you buy only to smash during a Live performance, as two Live shows would wreck this thing. Wires come undone, jack get screwed (lol), and the paint can't take a bump or it will die! However, pick-scrapes won't and will never harm it, it's just blunt trauma, or maybe it's my harmful handling? But this thing will die quicker than you want it to. // 1

Overall Impression: This can only crunch chords, and is perfect for a beginner. It is a $100 guitar, and that's precisely what you're buying for $150. This thing has no value unless you need something to learn on. Chords, open, power, even bar chords are a synch on this. I wish this thing had all-aluminum tuning knobs and half-decent wire sodderings, but it got me playing guitar fairly well for a 12 year old's standards, and I'll be getting a new 'tar tomorrow. What would you reccomend for less than $300? // 10

Comments