ME537 review by First Act

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
First Act: ME537

At present, the main styles of music I play are sludge, doom and progressive metal. I run this guitar through my Line 6 spider 3, usually with a high gain sound and it does sound good to me, although, with only one pickup, there isn't a great deal of variation with sounds. The good thing is that there is no feedback and very little buzzing in the background when this guitar is plugged in. After playing along with a few High On Fire and Mastodon albums (both bands use first acts, which is the main reason why I wanted it), I'm going to give it an 8, it does capture their sound very well, although other genres, I'd rather use another guitar.

Despite a lot of my review being negative, after the few fixes and adjustments I have made myself which took a total time of around 1 hour, I do quite like this guitar. It has a hot sound and is easy to use, and the biggest benefit or it is you can pick one up from Wal Mart (if you happen to live in America) for 70 dollars new! I believe that this is around 40 pounds sterling, which is cheaper than 90% of most guitars. I would give it an 8.5, but, as I have wrote this to advise you about this guitar, I will give it a score that I think the majority of people would give it.

I can sum this one up pretty fast. I, personally, wouldn't want the risk of playing this live at all, or I'd at least take a backup. It is really light and smaller than all of my other guitars which would be great for playing live but I would not use it on stage, largely due to the aforementioned tuning problem.

In a word, Bad. Nearly every single fret was too big for the neck and jutted out with sharp metal pieces, which, as I was unaware of these the first time I played it, actually cut my hand several times. From what I've heard off other people, many other ME537s are like this, so I would advise checking and filing down the outsides of the frets before playing. I raised the pickup and it sounds a lot better (in my opinion) to how it came, though I will say, it did sound quite good with the pickup in it's stock position. Overall, thanks to the sharp nut and frets, it is poor in this category.

It has just a plain black finish with natural wood neck (I apologise as I do not know what any of the woods used in this guitar are..), some standard tuners which do not hold the guitar in tune for more than an hour or so, a single humbucking pickup fixed in the bridge position, 22 frets with standard dot inlays and one tone and one volume control. Overall, a no frills guitar on features, it doesn't even have a pick guard.

leftyace
    EpiExplorer wrote: There are only a few bad looking guitars. But really. That thing is hideous. And thats not just basic, thats Spartan basic. If a midrange Ibanez is a fully armoured Roman warrior, this is an oily dude in a loin cloth.
    I know, it's as if for some reason the more expensive guitars are better! :O
    Fretrunner
    This was my first guitar and it wasn't all that bad, but idk first act seems to be very radom when it comes to the way their products work because my friends one fails and my first act is very solid and plays well enough to be bearable lols.
    Basara
    Reesy666
    The guitar does suck ass, but i got it for free and thought i'd let everyone know that it's a piece of shit- it just produces the right sound for mastodon/high on fire
    TheChaz
    aaronob
    SOUPerman432321 wrote: I could beat a bucket with a stick and reproduce mastodon's sound as well.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! So true...
    CalebJThompson
    this. hahahaha
    Rockgirl1996
    rexkeem
    TheChaz wrote: Rockgirl1996 wrote: i have this in pink cause im a girl but the guitar was the worse first guitar ever WARNING DON'T BUY IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY EVEN WIITH MY LINE 6 15 WATT AND LINE 6 IS THE BEST Oh dear... well at least you know your guitar sucks. Now let me tell about Line 6...
    HAHAHAHAHAHA you are so right LINE 6 SUCKS HAIRY SWEATY BAWLS EVERYONE for the same price of a Line 6 Spider 4 you can get a Peavey Vyper people only think line 6 is good cuz it was in guitar hero...
    Vypor
    This isnt a very impressive first act, but to let everyone know firt act does have a custom workshop and they do produce quality guitars. The ones you find at target, walmart, and best buy arent the only things they make - In fact could you really expect anything better from giant retailer such as those? As for the Line 6 spider 3, no its not the best amp but the people here on UG make it out to be worse than it acctually is. Its acctually a pretty good amp for the price and all the different sounds you get from it.
    8000man
    the eff??... aint first act for kids who want to learn how to play?
    celticstorm84
    Metalology wrote: Some of First Act's high end stuff can be thousands. It's crazy, but apparently they're really nice. /shrug
    Haha, yeah, I'm looking at their site now. They do seem to have some decent stuff. I suppose if nothing else, having guitars marketed to places like Walmart for cheap may get new people into making music...which is awesome in my book.
    rexkeem
    Basara wrote: Wow. And I thought Musicians could play anything! I've even seen poor kids play garbage and not diss the junk that made there hearts full. I'm getting an ME537 now just to spite the nit pickers. Better then not having a guitar. And anything that makes music is worth having. Sucks NOT to be me
    Actually, It sucks alot to be you this guitar is worse than a squire
    DeadRomance2010
    It is shitty. I also have a line 6 amp and im surprised my first act didnt ruin it. Worst beginner guitar ever.
    celticstorm84
    benx3000 wrote: What? Mastadon uses a first act? HAHAHAHAHA no.
    Actually they do, it's under what they use on the blood mountain album insert. Maybe they use some custom stuff, I dunno.
    Metalology
    blistered earth
    they use a custom 9 string like matt pike from high on fire and if you watch the video for colony of birchmen brent is playing a first act that dosnt look too bad
    blink-182isback
    great for a beginner cause that is pretty much the same as what i started on but ya kinda like abbydaddy's comment otherwise boooo
    abbydaddy
    I started on a first act acoustic. (What did I know?) When I got a good instrument the difference was unbelievable, I improved a hundred percent.
    dschuler36
    after playing along with a few High On Fire and Mastodon albums (both bands use first acts, which is the main reason why I wanted it
    i had no idea first act made guitars over $100.. and that people actually use them
    EpiExplorer
    MikeCraig
    I bought two of these (pink) at $35 each; first one for my daughter and second for me. I got the second because once I set up the first one properly (truss rod, action, strings) it sounded surprisingly good (really LOUD). The second one was much better out of the box. Note, you want to be prepared to spend time setting it up because First Act wasn't.