DSOT-3 Review

manufacturer: Floyd Rose date: 10/18/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Floyd Rose: DSOT-3
With a carefully crafted neck designed to be the most comfortable piece of maple and rosewood you've ever wrapped your hands around, the DSOT-3 will quickly exceed your expectations.
 7.3
 7.4
 7.2
 1,061
review (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
DSOT-3 Reviewed by: pe4c, on october 18, 2007

Features: Reminiscent of the 1980s super-Strat guitar, the Floyd Rose DSOT-3 (Discovery Series Original Tremolo) was introduced in 2006. These guitars are the entry level Floyd Rose models engineered in the US but built in China. The DSOT guitars, unlike the other Discovery series guitars, sport a traditional Floyd Rose bridge and locking nut. The bridge is advertised as being "an Original Floyd Rose." From what I gather, the bridge is asian built, but Floyd Rose stipulated that the unit be held to the same engineering standards, Floyd Rose believes in the unit enough to have his name stamped on it. This Floyd feels and performs as good as the Floyd on my Fender Strat, it holds tune like nobody's business. Visually, one can spot these guitars by the presence of tuners on the headstock, the other Discovery guitars are fitted with the Speedloader bridge and have no tuners. The DSOT-3, like all the Discovery guitars, is 25.5" scale instrument with a 12" radius and 1.65" nut width. These dimensions equate to comfortable chording and soloing. The neck, made of maple with a rosewood fingerboard, has a profile that is comfortable to grip but no so thin as to feel unsubstantial. The Strat-style body is basswood with cutaways that a little more exagerated than a regular Strat, which allows for better access to the upper register while retaining the traditional curves. Additionally, the DSOT-3 has contoured heel joint, a feature missing from Floyd Rose's very expensive American made Redmond guitars. The DSOT-3 has a hum-single-single pickup configuration, with a 5-way switch and a single volume knob. The pick ups are Chinese built and not worth keeping. The humbucker is hot and will have harmonics jumping out of the amp, but it lacks character and warmth. The singles seem excessively noisy though have great clean sound. The volume knob came misaligned on the pot and only seemed half on, so it was quickly swapped out. In addition to changing the knob, I also elected to swap out the stock pick ups for Dimarzios. The guitar came with a few allen wrenches, a gig bag, and a cheesy strap and cheesy cable. // 8

Sound: With the stock pick ups, my DSOT was a good rock guitar, the hot humbucker and sparkly though noisy single coils allowed me to go from hot shred to classic rock to pop. Still, I'd strongly recommend upgrading the pick ups, as the stock units are lacking in color and character. I put in a Dimarzio Air Zone in the bridge position and Cruisers in the neck and middle and this guitar goes from a 7 to a 10. I consider myself a proficient rock player and this guitar lets me get to whatever tones I reach for, '80s shred to bluesy, heavy to clean. And the Floyd, well it's a Floyd. Despite their rep as being hard to work on, I've yet to encounter a properly set up Floyd Rose that did not stay in tune. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the guitar was completly unplayable and required a full set-up. If you are not completely comfortable setting up a Floyd, I recommend taking the guitar to a trustworkth tech with the requisite tools and experience. The guitar, after being set up, is a real joy to play. No obvious finish flaws, though the routing job is very poor. However, I don't anticipate any long term problems. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I'm not a gigging player, I haven't played out for 5 or 6 years. That being said, the guitar seems very solid. Frets are well dressed, strap buttons are tight, and finish color is consistent even if plain. I wouldn't gig without a backup, that isn't a slam on this guitar, but just practical when your guitar has a floating Floyd Rose. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said, I'm a rock guy hobbyist basement player. I've relagated myself to by basement studio and play/write mostly for my own ears. That being said, I've been playing for 22 years with a fair amount of live and studio experience. For the money, this is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. More than just a vehicle for a Floyd Rose trem, this guitar is versitile and fun to play. The cut of the body suits me and I really appreciate the contoured heel. I wanted a guitar that would let me jam to Satriani and U2 and Stevie Ray Vaughan, this guitar can do it. // 8

Comments