LP-1 Single Cut 60 review by Freya

Freya: LP-1 Single Cut 60

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Freya Musical Instruments

I play a Strat most of the time but I wanted something to give me that heavier rock tone, however I didn't want to spend a lot of money to get it! I'm not at a level where I could justify spending alot of money on a gibson. My taste in music varies but I mostly play rock, some blues and funk occasionally. This guitar is perfect for what I wanted, I honestly can't get over the sound and range of tones I'm getting from this guitar. I've played guitars that cost 4 times much as this and they haven't come close! The pickups in this thing are stock and although I bought with the intention of changing them fairly soon I wont be rushing it now. The sustain is fantastic... Really nice rich sound from the neck pup and nice bright sound from the bridge. I play through a small Line 6 amp and it's sounds great through that, I'd imagine even better through a tube amp. I have found it can be a little noisy when playing with a lot of distortion but that could be due to my set up of quite a low action... I play single coil mainly so I'm used to a little noise. It really doesn't bother me enough to give out about it.

This guitar completes my collation (for now at least! ). I also own an American Fender Strat and an Ovation acoustic. Freya Musical Instruments where excellent through the buying process and Robert answered all my questions in a prompt manner, To be honest it was his enthusiasm for these guitars that convinced me to buy it. They really do offer a fantastic service. I should also add I am in no way affiliated with Freya, I'm just a very happy customer! If it where lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again... I will actually buy from these guys again because I like the look of their Telecasters, I just need to convince the wife I have room for one more guitar. What do I love about the guitar? Range of tones, the feel, the finish, the quilted top, pretty much everything. What do I hate about the guitar? Nothing... The noise with distortion can be mildly irritating and it would benefit from better tuners but I certainly don't hate these features. I can't recommend this guitar highly enough... I've found a gem!

I don't gig but if I did I would have no hesitation in using this... It's a good heavy guitar. I have no reason to doubt there would be a hardware problem, I think the tuners could be a little better but otherwise there is nothing I would be rushing to upgrade. Haven't put a strap on the guitar yet but I believe all guitars benefit from strap locks, I'd do it with a 250 or 2500. If I was gigging I would always have a backup, that just makes sense! But I have no reason to doubt this guitars reliability. This guitar will last the test of time with me, to be honest I was taking a chance buying this... I really had no clue if I would like it and I am so glad I did. I own an American Fender Roadhouse Strat and I haven't picked it back up since I got this guitar a week ago. I've never owned a Gibson, but I have owned my fair share of decent guitars and plenty of rubbish ones! And I can safely say this is the best value guitar I've ever bought, you won't get anything like this for the same price.

As I'm typing this, I'm just thinking... It really is hard to believe this guitar only cost 250! The guy that sells these guitars will personally set the guitar up for you before shipping it. You can even tailor your set up to your own needs, I asked for a lowish action without buzz and I got exactly that. Frets where polished up, new set of 9's fitted. Pickups are perfect... I may eventually adjust my bridge pickup slightly (it maybe why I'm getting some noise with distortion). I'm struggling to think of a flaw. With this being a cheap guitar I purposefully went looking for flaws such as paint on the pickup moulds, around the neck, glue marks etc but I didn't find any!

Made in China and imported to Ireland by Freya Musical Instruments. Mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard. I think it comes in 2 choices of finish... Cherry and tobacco sunburst. I opted for the cherry sunburst, haven't seen the tobacco burst but I'm sure I made the right choice. It's a gorgeous quilted top finish. Two humbuckers, two volume and two tone controls as you would expect from any Les Paul. I believe the pickups are alnico magnet type but can't be sure. The tuners are fine but nothing special. All the features are as you would expect from a Les Paul type guitar.

mekani
    What do I love about this guitar? Everything. What do I hate about this guitar? Nothing. So, why rate it 8.4? If I like something so much, no flaws and everything, it's 10, nothing lower.
    seemeel
    Hmm, interesting. You seem to rate this pretty highly, and not in the way that a 12 year old with his awesome squier does... very interesting. Also, Les Paul is a trademark of Gibson, so calling this a Freya Les Paul is completely incorrect. If Freya printed that on the head stock, then they'll get their ass sued. Gibson have done it before! I'm sure this guitar has a name, so you probably should have used it.
    spaz9006
    travislausch
    Creeping_Kwano
    travislausch wrote: mekani wrote: If I like something so much, no flaws and everything, it's 10, nothing lower. Because this site's elitists tend to ignore any review that's all 10s, probably.
    i doubt an 'elitist' would consider buying a freya/gypo lp copy
    Gary.Blizzard
    RR3tran
    Gary.Blizzard wrote: "I believe the pickups are alnico magnet type but can't be sure." I read up to there. I'm sure I could Google this thing and after five minutes learn more about this guitar than the owner even knows.
    So what if this dude's not sure about his pickups? Just because he plays guitar doesn't mean he should know what his pickups are made of. I couldn't be bothered more about trivial things like that myself. Lighten up, dude
    Knight0fcydonia
    wow tough crowd!
    Dallinisrad wrote: and of course a silly muse fan play this
    what a ridiculous comment, what bearing does my username have on what instrument i play or review i leave?.
    Thats why the review is up here, i couldnt find out anything about these guitars before purchasing, hence i put a review up to help anyone who may be interested in buying one.
    spaz9006 wrote: I believe this is actually what the guitar is called. "Freya LP-1 Single Cut Sunburst 60's Electric Guitar"
    If this is correct i stand corrected! Thanks. For anyone that is actually interested in buying one, these guys have a shop through eBay. I purchased mine from a different site but i know they are available through ebay.
    rockstar81
    I own one of these guitars as well and definately love it. I have owned and played s wide aray of guitars including Gibson Les Pauls, PRS customs, Ibanez, and fenders Strats. My main guitar before buying this one was a 2001 amarican strat with a hot rail pickup in the bridge. Sense i got this guitar the strat has done nothing but collect dust. This guitar plays great,stays in tune, sounds good, and looks even better. By no means is it a $5000 customs shop guitar but it is a reliable guitar that in my opinion is worth much more then they sell for. I have only made 2 mods to this guitar. First I put strap locks on which i do to every one of my guitars. Second, I am changing the pick ups. The stock ones were not horable but a little noisy. Im sure potting them would have solved the problem but I got a great deal on a set of Gibson 57 classics so I am putting them in instead. Cant wait to hear how it sounds. If you are looking for a work horse guitar that you can play hard day after day and not worry about if it gets a few dings or some buckle rash this is the guitar for you. And you will definately not get more bang for your buck.
    qmac
    Knight0fcydonia, thanks for reviewing this guitar. I have been agonising over buying one of these and I'm really glad to be able to support an independent Irish business selling good quality instruments. At this price, I might even pick up one of his acoustics also. Thanks again.
    CurlOfTheBurl
    Their JEM 7V knock-off is absolutely insane for the asking price of 200 euro. I have an Ibanez RGR Premium that was over double the price, and I prefer still the Freya JEM. Crazy. I haven't tried any of their other stuff though.