Acrylic Flying V Left Handed review by Galveston

Galveston: Acrylic Flying V Left Handed

Purchased from: Ebay

Onto those pickups; I bought this guitar because I wanted something with a bit more bite and I wanted 22 frets instead of the Strat's 21, as well as something with humbuckers for longer sustain. I decided to go with something a bit left-field, I play metal/hard rock/classic rock/nwobhm and what's more iconic than a Flying V?! The guitar sounds gorgeous, very rich and full with a very Gibson-esque tone to it, all 3 settings sound lovely on clean (interestingly, I wasn't really too bothered what it would sound like clean but it just begs to be played, especially blues!), and on distorted its razor sharp, with a meaty bridge and a fuller, heavier neck; plus due to the humbuckers the sustain is a lot better than my Squier. Overall, I cannot fault the sound, the pickups are pretty silent with distortion on too.

This guitar fits my style of playing very much, I've been playing for about 5 years now and it definatly suits the type of music I like. I've shown it to a few guitar technicians and they were blown away, they'd never seen a guitar like it. I havn't seen anyone else play an acrylic so it's a pretty unique guitar. I'd probibly get another if it was stolen or lost, but I'd make sure it didn't arrive broke. I'd recommend this guitar (or any of their acrylic range) to someone who wants to be a bit different, it's very much a gig guitar in terms of the wow factor, and apart from the misfortune of it coming broke it's pretty solid in day to day use so I don't see it braking mid song or anything. Just watch out though, its a heavy guitar, so prolonged playing will probibly Hurt your shoulder!

Being an acrylic guitar it is HEAVY! And, being a Flying V it is difficult to play on my lap (since I haven't got the strap button fixed yet, I can only play it sitting down). Apart from that, it's pretty much flawless. It doesn't go out of tune while playing, just while it's been sitting there for a while so I don't see it being a problem if I would ever gig with it; plus, it is a very showy guitar! (being a see-thru acrylic Flying V) I eventually will replace the strap button with a more stronger and durable one to counter the weight. I'd still take my Squier to gigs though as a backup. Hardware wise, there isn't really any problems with it so far.

I'm no guitar expert to be honest, but it is miles ahead of my Squier. It plays faster, and sounds better. However there are a few flaws; it actually goes out of tune more than my Strat and It arrived damaged (I ordered it from America), with a Sting snapped and lower strap button completely sheered (maybe oxidized, there was some rusting) off. Galveston compensated me with $100 so I guess it's not too bad.

From what I've read Galveston are quite an obscure American guitar brand, they sell some pretty off the wall instruments like the one I purchased. It is a 2009 Flying V (based off the Gibson Flying V) see-thru solid acrylic body, with 22 jumbo frets. it follows the Gibson setup (Tune-o-matic, 3 way selector etc) quite accurately except it comes without a scratchplate. It comes with 2 Galveston branded open humbuckers which, considering my first guitar is a Squier Strat, sound heavenly.

Etherealistic
    Oh be quiet Squier lover, they aren't that great a guitar to begin with.
    Lord_Doku
    Etherealistic wrote: octopec wrote: Please refrain from giving the sound of a guitar a perfect score when it's based off comparing it with a Squier, thank you. Sigh... Oh be quiet Squier lover, they aren't that great a guitar to begin with. olpaj wrote: In Action, Fit & Finish u said it goes out of tune, however in Reliabilty & Durability u wrote "It doesn't go out of tune while playing". wtf? Not too good review, obviously you're not too experienced He said he wasn't that experienced first of all, and also he said it goes out of tune more than his squier but "only" when it is not being played. So shut up, they weren't contradictory comments.
    Indeed. This proves the value of context. @guitar: It seems alright to me, unfortunately im right-handed so there is little for me to gain from this review
    VenomPat
    Brent Hinds from Mastodon played an acrlic flying V when they played at some TV show
    Ben2k9
    Head BANGER 81 wrote: I havn't seen anyone else play an acrylic so it's a pretty unique guitar Joe Perry Steve Vai
    IRL. no one I know h as one.
    whoswt
    i'm glad you liked the guitar and your problems seemed minor(kinda big to me) but i have to warn everyone else that Galveston has iffy quality. a classmate of mine bought a guitar from them and it came with the worst wiring i have ever seen. pickups switch did not work and it just felt pretty bad. so maybe my classmate was unlucky or the reviewer was lucky but i suggest to everyone to stay away.
    thirteenburn
    It's pretty sad to see so many people here slag off the reviewer. He was more than upfront on his abilities and length of time he's played and quite frankly, I would suggest that NONE of you picked up a guitar for the first time and ripped of a clean version of 'Eruption' so, using an old adage - If you can't say anything nice or contribute in a positive way, just don't, period. I personally had no problems with the review as I'm a beginner as well and besides, it's all up to personal preferences. Some people swear by "pawnshop" guitars, and some can't play anything but high dollar brand names but the only thing that matters is the abilities of the player; I've heard the crappiest guitars sound like Angels were playing them and vice versa, so again, if you can't contribute in a postitive way, then don't and just move along. Nice job, Ben2k9 - I got what you were saying and I personally found the interview helpful in myriad ways. Cheers!
    Ben2k9
    theres a right handed model. And to everyone, thanks for the comments. Yes, I've not played many guitars (1 reason being I'm left handed) but I have tried out quite a few in stores. It is a better guitar than the squier but to be honest, my squier isnt bad at all, it wasnt a boxed version I bought from Argos but 1 bought in a guitar shop with professionals advising me on what to get as a first guitar. It sounds pretty good to be fair, but as I've heard with squiers there either pretty good or total pants, I must be one of the lucky ones.
    r0ckth3d34n
    I've always wondered if Galveston guitars were any good. The only thing that ever scares me about a guitar, honest are the pickups. Sure, they can be replaced, but I'd rather buy a guitar with ideal pickups. And brand pickups usually aren't the best, which can't be said about my Dean's Dean Zebra Humbuckers. For the $200 or whatever this guitar cost, it is definitely a step up from a Squire. Humbuckers, a TOM and two VOLUME knobs instead of two TONE knobs makes a big difference. I'm glad to hear they're pretty good buys.
    octopec
    livewire76
    [quote]Etherealistic wrote: octopec wrote: Please refrain from giving the sound of a guitar a perfect score when it's based off comparing it with a Squier, thank you. Sigh... Oh be quiet Squier lover, they aren't that great a guitar to begin with. Eh? Octopec is a squire lover? Haha You've missed the point he was making by pointing it out!
    celticstorm84
    Man, people need to back off a bit. He reviewed on his impressions and he doesn't seem to have much experience playing, or with great equipment but we've all been there. If he fed us a line of crap with what everyone seems to think is right, it would be just that...a line of crap. Good review, hopefully the guitar works out well for you down the road.
    Bobster_911
    i totaly agree , id rather listen to my dad garbling with mouthwash in the morning that listen to the squires , i had one so i no what they r like , i own a 50th aniversary gibson explorer ( american import as the finsih i have isent avalable in england ) u canont compare the sound ov a cheep acrlyic to a gibson
    v2a2n2g2
    hahaha wait until a couple months and it'll definitely start falling apart. I bought a korina flying v from them and thought it was the best instrument I've ever played until all the faulty parts( stripped tremelo post, humbuckers fell in, crack on headstock) started breaking. It cost me another 130 dollars to fix. I really hate off brands and lazy foreighn luthiers >
    olpaj
    Ben2k9
    I said I took it to a guitar shop. the technicians there said it sounded good too. Plus, I played a Gibson Les Paul while I was there, and it was pretty damn close.
    ketuldalal
    hey ben, im also came across the same guitar a couple of days back. I liked it pretty much esp. the looks. I hadnt heard about Galveston before so am a lil sceptical. Would you recommend this one? How was your experience with the flying-v?