Acrylic Flying V Left Handed Review

1,735
review (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Acrylic Flying V Left Handed Reviewed by: Ben2k9, on october 23, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: From what I've read Galveston are quite an obscure American guitar brand, they sell some pretty off the wall instruments like the one I purchased. It is a 2009 Flying V (based off the Gibson Flying V) see-thru solid acrylic body, with 22 jumbo frets. it follows the Gibson setup (Tune-o-matic, 3 way selector etc) quite accurately except it comes without a scratchplate. It comes with 2 Galveston branded open humbuckers which, considering my first guitar is a Squier Strat, sound heavenly. // 9

Sound: Onto those pickups; I bought this guitar because I wanted something with a bit more bite and I wanted 22 frets instead of the Strat's 21, as well as something with humbuckers for longer sustain. I decided to go with something a bit left-field, I play metal/hard rock/classic rock/nwobhm and what's more iconic than a Flying V?! The guitar sounds gorgeous, very rich and full with a very Gibson-esque tone to it, all 3 settings sound lovely on clean (interestingly, I wasn't really too bothered what it would sound like clean but it just begs to be played, especially blues!), and on distorted its razor sharp, with a meaty bridge and a fuller, heavier neck; plus due to the humbuckers the sustain is a lot better than my Squier. Overall, I cannot fault the sound, the pickups are pretty silent with distortion on too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm no guitar expert to be honest, but it is miles ahead of my Squier. It plays faster, and sounds better. However there are a few flaws; it actually goes out of tune more than my Strat and It arrived damaged (I ordered it from America), with a Sting snapped and lower strap button completely sheered (maybe oxidized, there was some rusting) off. Galveston compensated me with $100 so I guess it's not too bad. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Being an acrylic guitar it is HEAVY! And, being a Flying V it is difficult to play on my lap (since I haven't got the strap button fixed yet, I can only play it sitting down). Apart from that, it's pretty much flawless. It doesn't go out of tune while playing, just while it's been sitting there for a while so I don't see it being a problem if I would ever gig with it; plus, it is a very showy guitar! (being a see-thru acrylic Flying V) I eventually will replace the strap button with a more stronger and durable one to counter the weight. I'd still take my Squier to gigs though as a backup. Hardware wise, there isn't really any problems with it so far. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar fits my style of playing very much, I've been playing for about 5 years now and it definatly suits the type of music I like. I've shown it to a few guitar technicians and they were blown away, they'd never seen a guitar like it. I havn't seen anyone else play an acrylic so it's a pretty unique guitar. I'd probibly get another if it was stolen or lost, but I'd make sure it didn't arrive broke. I'd recommend this guitar (or any of their acrylic range) to someone who wants to be a bit different, it's very much a gig guitar in terms of the wow factor, and apart from the misfortune of it coming broke it's pretty solid in day to day use so I don't see it braking mid song or anything. Just watch out though, its a heavy guitar, so prolonged playing will probibly Hurt your shoulder! // 9

Comments