Black Knight RS-80SLR review by Gear4Music

Gear4Music: Black Knight  RS-80SLR

Price paid: £ 139.99

Purchased from: Gear4music.com

I mostly play metal and this guitar not only looks the part but performs well to. I am using a Line 6 spider III with no extra pedals and what not. I dislike the amp, however my friend has a much better Line 6 (a stack) and the guitar sounds very nice on it. The Floyd Rose is great for the price and gives a good variety of sounds one can make. Very Very good when it comes to picking up harmonics, arguably its strong point.

I play metal, yes its a good match. 2-3 years, I used to own a Squire Strat then a Harley Benton HK somthin or other. If it were stolen I might buy another, depending on what my skill level was at the time. I love because it looks badass and its very cheap, and sound great when you consider what you paid for it. I hate its original strings, and how the trem gets loose to easy. Also its quite a chunkey guitar and a bit heavy. This guitar realy is only to bridge the gap between your first and your first decent guitar.

Will this guitar withstand live playing? Yes. Does the hardware seem like it will last? Yes but not for a very long time. Are the strap buttons solid? Very. Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? You could but this is more of a practice guitar. Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? It seems ok, but once again not great, this is not a long term guitar for the initial jump to intermediate.

The factory strings are horrible and will need changing ASAP. Unless you use the locking nuts it will go out of tune very fast ESP when using whammy. Screws on the back of guitar do not line up and back plate looks a tad to small for what its covering. You will need to tighten the trem up regularly as the inside screw comes loose after a while but not verry often, will do quite soon after playing for the first time however. Pickups make up for it (sort of), the get a good (not great)quality sound and are nice looking.

Made - 2009. Other specifications: Neck Joint: Bolt-on Body: Basswood Neck: Hard Maple Neck Fingerboard: Rosewood with 12th Fret Inlay - 25-1/2 Machine heads: Black die-cast tuners Hardware: Black Pick Ups: 2x high output humbucking pickups Controls: 1 x Volume, 1 x Tone, 3-Way Pickup Selector Switch Finish: Black Knight Gothic Satin Bridge: Floyd Rose Licensed Tremolo Comes with allen keys and 2 year warranty.

Chozodragon
    Floyd Rose ? On the picture its a fixed bridge ... Anyway, nice to see review of a cheap guitar without the all-10 thing.
    EpiExplorer
    At least it isnt an all 10 do-over.. And surprisingly, it is kinda good.. reminds me of the Matt Bachand sig, whoever Matt bachand is.. and even better despite it being Gear4Music, which is the most hateful name I have ever come across in guitar brands..
    Dream Floyd
    StringAssassin wrote: Not a bad looking guitar. I might look into one of these to mod and upgrade.
    I second this notion.
    ZA58
    I wonder have you tried to play any other styles of music on it.
    SilverSpurs616
    EpiExplorer wrote: reminds me of the Matt Bachand sig, whoever Matt bachand is..
    Shadows Fall. Picture is wrong, shows a fixed bridge as opposed to a trem. Interesting though
    rv_phoenix
    Black Knights are a pathetic attemp of the shameful Gear4Music organization to recover its image, blemished by the gear sold under its own brand. Some of these instruments aren't bad, actually, and I'm sure if you seek for it with care, you can find a great value-for-money among them. But the problem is that, relying heavily on online sales, you canot actually track down that particular instrument which escaped the genetic curse of all Gear4Music stuff. It dosn't worth the effort, in the same price range you have a wide choice of good axes.
    Majorpole
    I've been playing this guitar every day for 2 years as a beginner. I paid 80 to set it up properly. I've recently gone to the music shop to check if this guitar hold back my progress. I played about 5 guitars from 500 to 900 and I went home to kiss my guitar sorry! Each of the shop guitar felt rough under my fingers, sort of clunky, thick frets. I couldnt get up to any speed, my fingers where stuttering. Even the fret buzz was worse than on mine. Can't tell anything about intricacies of the sound quality as I'm a beginner. How do you explain my experience, did I get something wrong?
    brunhildamuller
    there is a sinister reason for gear4music being so cheap....those are thieves who endlessly resell the very same item...if you have received the item it means that they have your address now and they might get "their" guitar back, very soon... but most of their "customers" (victims) never receive the item they have paid for, cause gear4music usually "works" together with ukmail thieves.... endlessly re-selling the same item... for 10 they obtain "proof of posting" from ukmail, but the instrument never leaves the shop.... they keep on reselling it ....if you complain to gear4music they show you "proof of posting" (good value for money: cost them just 10, and they can keep goods worth hundreds and thousands of pounds) .... this is "as far as their concern goes"...but if you complain to their partners at ukmail you can only do so by calling the premium phone number which is never answered.....from their point of view this is better (cheaper) than catch22....it is catch10...
    CorrosionMedia
    Is the sole reason you signed up here to give G4M shit? I've bought several guitars and basses from them (all different brands) and I've never had any problems other than ParcelForce delivering one day late.