Electric-RC Guitar review by Gear4Music

Gear4Music: Electric-RC Guitar

Purchased from: Amazon

It plays very well... Good intonation throughout the neck & good action... If you want the authentic sound you can mess around with replacing the pickups or just get a modelling amp (I use a Fender Mustang) which will give pretty much any sound you want. Having said that, I prefer to play this with a clean sound through a Marshall 50w acoustic amp with a Behringer Blues effect pedal.

At the end of the day I have a Fender Tele, a Gretsch, an Epiphone Casino & various others that I've spent a lot of money on & because I've modified this guitar it feels as good as any of them!

It plays very well.

Good action.

Being a John Lennon fan I couldn't resist this one... It's only 100 odd quid & after a few modifications I got it to look very similar indeed. His original 1958 325 that he bought in Hamburg (or never paid for if you listen to George Harrison!) was originally a natural wood finish with gold pickguard & gold Rickenbacker truss rod cover. It was a prototype with only 2 ever made. No F hole, rubbish vibrato and short neck length... He changed the vibrato to one that resisted going out of tune & had it sprayed black (but still with gold trimmings) when they returned to Liverpool but after their first visit to record at Abbey Rd. They hit it big & he played it until the second Ed Sullivan show in Miami when Rickenbacker gave him a new one which was essentially a copy except the pickguard was a double skin white one & the Rickenbacker logo on the truss rod cover was also white. He used this as his main guitar until the Epiphone Casino came along. This Gear4Music guitar is very similar to this 2nd Rickenbacker. The body dimensions are exact, the neck length is a normal size, there is an f hole, the pickguard is double skin, the headstock is pretty close, there are only 2 pickups. However a spray or two of black gloss paint with every thing masked off to get rid of the gear logo, a coat of matt black paint inside the F hole, a blank truss rod cover from the internet & an RB decal to go on it with numerous sprays of clear lacquer over it & it looks great!

brunhildamuller
    there is a sinister reason for gear4music being so cheap....those are thieves who endlessly resell the very same item...if you have received the item it means that they have your address now and they might get "their" guitar back, very soon... but most of their "customers" (victims) never receive the item they have paid for, cause gear4music usually "works" together with ukmail thieves.... endlessly re-selling the same item... for 10 they obtain "proof of posting" from ukmail, but the instrument never leaves the shop.... they keep on reselling it ....if you complain to gear4music they show you "proof of posting" (good value for money: cost them just 10, and they can keep goods worth hundreds and thousands of pounds) .... this is "as far as their concern goes"...but if you complain to their partners at ukmail you can only do so by calling the premium phone number which is never answered.....from their point of view this is better (cheaper) than catch22....it is catch10...
    Garcey14
    I have recently bought one of these guitars & must admit so far I am quite impressed! The guitar I say it is styled off the Ric 325, same in size, with a touch of Ric 360 styling (sound hole). Even though the strings are cheap, I've still manage to get some nice tones out of it, so I know when I change my strings this weekend it should sound much better! I bought this because I LOVE the Ric guitar styling, but sadly do not have the money to buy one. I thought it was worth the risk at only 125....It was! The paint work is pretty good for a cheapo but definitely not perfect. You need to be up really close & scan my guitar to find the imperfections & that's fine with me. I went for the Honey Burst, which looks very nice! I found that I can get a nice warm Jazz sound out of it which is what I wanted. It doesn't struggle with trebly tones or anything in between. I'm not saying that this is would stand up to a fully fledged Fender or Gibson or Ric, but it will stand up against your squiers which casts more. I have squier guitars & some of those are very decent & this is just as good in tone. The basswood is cheap, what it is, I have no idea, but it still feels solid enough. The hollow cutout does not go throughtout the body of the guitar, so most of it is actually solid, so the sound hole is just for show...fine by me. This a lovely looking & sounding guitar for the price. It feels like it has been built well also looks like it has. For the money you can't go wrong! Dealing with Gear4music was very good, this is the second guitar I've bought from them & my order arrived within 2 days max,I will definitely deal with them again in the future. Check this guitar out if you like Rics & want a cheap guitar to play without wasting your money. If you don't like it, you can afford to trash it! Enjoy.
    jadedsoul15
    I bought one of these being a Ric fan, The guitar was terrible, I wont go into other reviews ill tell u my story. The guitar was horridly put together. The guitar is all solid maple, how do i know this, I chopped of the neck after i striped it and had a good look inside the body then threw it away. The head stock had mismatched tuners. the neck had dinted frets from about 13 down to the heel. Paint work had chips that had been coloured in with marker pen on the neck and body. Pups are the cheapest mini buckers u can buy from china and where routed wonky. the vol knob fell of and had been broken at some point. the tail piece was not lined up on center and made the whole line up of the strings wrong. If that aint bad enough for any person then go ahead and buy one of there guitars. i cant speak for any other model but DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SANTA ANNA' 325 pieces of crap.