Electric-ST review by Gear4Music

Gear4Music: Electric-ST

Purchased from: Gear4music.com

At the time, I was very into classic rock. I got rid of the cheap stock amp because the distortion was quite weak and sounded awful to me. Instead, I got myself a Roland Cube 15X later. Even with singlecoil pickups, the tone was great on the Distortion channel. The Metal Stack channel gave out a quite brutal tone [early Metallica, with less chunk], even with cheap singlecoil pickups. This tone was still not as good as I hoped it would be though [even if this isn't a metal guitar!]. The Distortion and Overdrive channels gave me a nice Hendrix tone, especially when the mids were raised. The cleans were quite crisp [even more so with fresh strings] and sounded brilliant for a cheap guitar like this. What I don't like are the singlecoil pickups. I felt they were too weak. I had to raise them to help deliver the metal tone.

At the time, I was playing lots of rock and some metal. It suited rock better than it suited metal - the pickups just weren't powerful enough. I've been playing since April 2006 and since then I have owned 4 guitars [a Herald HL44 classical, this Gear4Music Strat copy, a Stagg L350 and an Ibanez RG120]. I find that this Strat copy is inferior compared to the other guitars I own. Before I bought the product, I just wish I knew how powerful the pickups were. If this guitar was stolen, I wouldn't really care that much - right now, it is sitting in the loft in a poor condition and it's probably worth 30 now. I really like the neck of this guitar. It feels really comfortable for my hand to just slide around on it. On the other hand, the finish quality is poor. It will not last long. I did not compare this guitar to others because this guitar was the cheapest one I could find. I was a beginner and did not want to spend a fortune.

I do not think this guitar could withstand live playing because I just don't think the body is durable enough. In the first few months, I found a lot of scratches in the finish. This never happened to the classical guitar I had months before that. The hardware seems it will last. I haven't seen any damage/wearing on it. The strap buttons are indeed solid. The have never let the stock strap rip out or let the whole peg rip out. Then again, this is a beginners guitar, so I wouldn't expect to see many beginners gigging with this guitar. In fact, I wouldn't expect to see many people gigging with this guitar, given that the finish is so easily damaged.

I do not think this guitar was set up particularly well. I had to ask my friend [who has been playing guitar for a lot longer than me] to help me intonate the guitar. As a beginner, this was very difficult for me. Like I said before, the pickups were not high enough, but this was easily adjusted with a screwdriver. I did not find any other flaws.

I got this guitar in October 2007 and it was my first electric guitar. This black Strat copy was made in Korea and has the following features: - Basswood body - Three singlecoil pickups - Vintage style tremolo - 22 frets [checked on the website to make sure my counting was correct] - Rosewood fretboard - Bolt-on maple neck - White pickguard - 1 volume, 2 tone knobs with a 5 way pickup selector switch This guitar also came with a stock amplifier, a cable, a set of strings, a pick, a strap and a gig bag. Since this is a starter pack, I just wish it came with some sort of tuition - maybe one of those cheap chord DVDs.

MaggaraMarine
    The^Unforgiven wrote: SeanX3187 wrote: JohnMerrick wrote: "made in korea (cheap labour)" ? Korea is making fine guitars, almost as well as the US or Japan cheap guitars are generally made in Indonesia or China i believe you are mistaken. Korea doesn't make guitars nearly as well us the US or Japan. assuming they're made in north korea as opposed to south korea the common misconception is that communist countries can make guitars as well as free countries is kind of confusing to me. communism gives everybody the same things, like jobs. the people who are told (yes, told, not chose to) make guitars won't get benefits if they make them well, so they don't bother. but in the States and Japan and whatnot, if you don't make guitars (or anything for that matter) up to par, you get fired... motivation is very important. also, in non-communist countries like Mexico, they don't make anything too well because well, if you were making less in a week than you'd make in a day in the US, would you want to put all your effort into it? i wouldn't. the only reason we ship our stuff out to be made there is precisely for cheap labor. thoughts of quality go out the window when they do that. so in general, most things that require skill rather than just labor to produce, will be inferior in those kinds of countries than well developed, free countries like the US, England, Japan and so on. This might very well be the biggest load of bull**** I've ver encountered. "America, f*** yeah!".
    + 1
    Mishakuz
    I'm not sure how this turned into a debate on communism. A sweat shop is a sweat shop is a sweat shop. For instance, India has plenty of them, and it is not a communist country. The US also had many sweat shops at the turn of the 20th century. People work in slave-like conditions and build things to the standards specified by the manufacturer and the supervisor. People would want to keep those standards or else they would be out of a job. In a Communist country, jobs are assigned by the government. No job = no food or a possible trip to a forced labor camp in some countries. Besides, guitars aren't made in North Korea against whom we have sanctions; They are made in our trading partner, South Korea. By the way, although I love the U.S., my experience with products that are made in America is that they are generally low quality... for example our cars. That said, there are different standards for different production lines, which forms the basis of being able to sell different products at different prices.
    robbit
    Learn to spell the word "learning" Then come back and tell me all about this silly little guitar
    HarrySound
    Gear4Music are a terrible company. I bought a POD X3 Live from them. They sent me a POD X3 kedeny eban type so I waited 2 days for them to pick it up and they sent me a replacement which turned up a full week after ordering the X3 Live. Except they sent me ANOTHER POD X3, So I had to refuse delivery of that and finaly got my X3 Live a day later... jeez
    rv_phoenix
    Woffelz wrote: Well this guitar is good for a beginner on a budget...
    No, you're wrong, this guitar isn't good of anything. It would instantly turn a beginner into guitar's worst ennemy. The most stupid prejudice is that you must start playing on a cheap instrument. It's false: you better try to borrow an instrument for 3 months, until you realize if you want to go on or not, and then buy a real one. Another prejudice is that a good guitar must cost a fortune. Between 250 and 400 euros (so only a few bucks more than this Gear4Music crap), you can get a guitar you can gig on and make records on. I can give a 20-25 positions list of such instruments at any moment.