Metal X Guitar review by Gear4Music

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Gear4Music: Metal X Guitar

Purchased from: gear4music.com

The sound this guitar makes when played through the 15 watt amp I with it is really s**t. It sounds really muddy when you drop-tune it (I'm in drop D most of the time) I bought a DigiTech Death Metal distortion pedal, it sounds slighty better, but I'm going to upgrade very soon. When your not playing, but have it plugged in and switched on, it buzzes like hell.

I mainly play metal, and it needs to sound less muddy to be a proper metal guitar. I have been playing around 7-8 months and I own everything that came in the starter pack for this guitar. If it was stolen, I would be happy because I would have another reason to buy a better guitar; I currently have my eyes on an Ibanez GRG170DX. I love this guitar, dispite all its flaws and shortcomings, but only because I've owned it and learnt on it. Basically, its a nice guitar if your only going to have it for a few months as your first guitar.

Live? On a Gear4Music guitar? This peice of s**t will get you laughed off the stage before you even start playing. And it will sound really muddy, and it will probably break because of the sh**y build quality. And if you are playing live, you won't have a Gear4Music in the first place. I would bring a back-up guitar, and use that instead if I was playing a gig.

It makes me laugh that Gear4Music call their instruments 'quality'. Alot of the stuff on it has broken, and i have to get my guitar teacher to tune it for me because it's so hard to tune and keep it tuned. The guitar itself is really heavy, and the straps it came with are really c**p, and it hurts your shoulder after a few minutes. I think the control knobs are hard to reach from the playing position, and the body isn't contured so its a little bit hard to reach the strings.

I don't know what year mine was made, but i'm fairly sure it's Korean. It's got 24 frets and I think a Rosewood fingerboard. The body is basswood, mine has a Lisenced Floyd Rose tremolo, and it's s**t. I'm not sure if thats the guitar's fault, but yano. It has the usual controls; tone and volume, and a pickup selector. I got this guitar as a started pack at Christmas 2009 and at the time I thought it was amazing. But now i'm more experienced, I can see what a load of c**p this guitar really is.

axelroxas666
    rv_phoenix
    axelroxas666 wrote: this guitars a waste of money it plays good with seymor duncan blackout actives but nothing else the bridge is shit and packs it in after about a year because of the poor quality saddle nuits they are copper instead of high speed steel this guitar is shit (:
    But why would you put pickups twice more expensive on this piece of firewood???
    moo-man
    faaaaarq... what do you want for nickles and dimes. You want a $1500 guitar for $155??? (we all do). The reality is that there is a sh*tload of stuff coming out of China that is OK for the price but cannot compare to high-end originals. You get what you pay for and be thankful that someone bought it for you in the first place. Also be thankful that you now know the difference and can pay for your own bloody expensive guitar.
    rv_phoenix
    You're right, you cannot actually buy anything you can play on for 150 $. But you can find a very good guitar for 300 $ (I can give you a list of about 20-25 positions). It is more, but it's not a lot more. In terms of quality, it's the difference between firewood and an axe you can gig on and make records. I think it worths 150 $ extra.
    r4mmf4n
    i bought This guitar a while agao ande would say its alright for beginers but i absolutlet hate the gear4music logo on it