1968 Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: 1968 Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: Elderly Instruments

I play mostly 80's hard rock, metal, and a little blues. With my Les Paul and Marshall Dsl401 combo amp I get the perfect sound for each style. Before I was using a MT-2 Boss Metal Zone with my Ibanez Strat but the addition of the Les Paul has made it useless due to its hot humbuckers. Cranked all the way up it has a nice chunky sound and awesome distortion. The bottom end on this thing is one of a kind due to its body shape.

I've been playing for almost two years, many hours a day and I wanted to get a better quality guitar. Without a doubt it is the best instrument ever made. It is the best match for every style I play, I can get any sound out of it, from heavy distortion to slightly distorted blues, it has it all. If it were stolen I would go crazy and buy another. LoL. I love its appearance and sound. Not to mention its easy playability. It was between a Jackson Soloist and Les Paul, the LP just plainly out performed the Jackson. Other than I wish it had a dancing holographic Jerry Garcia botton theres nothing I wish it had.

I havn't gigged with it yet but the hardware looks like it would last centuries. My strap seems to slip off the strap bottoms often. I would go on stage with my Les Paul and only my Les Paul, no need for a backup the way this thing is made. I've played it for many long hours, and the finish is just as good as it looked when I first got it.

Everything was perfect. When I got it the action was perfect, nice and low, and the pickups were set perfect. I looked over this thing for about 45 minutes before I even played it and I found no cosmetic or hardware flaws.

My LP was made in 2002 in the USA. It has a Heritage sunburst finish, flamed maple top, mahogany body, slim 60's style mahogany neck, cream-bound rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, passive Gibson burstbucker pro pickups, one in the front one in the back. Two volume knobs, and two tone knobs. A volume and tone knob for each pickup. It came with a hardshell case.