1968 Les Paul Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: 1968 Les Paul Standard

Purchased from: N/A

The Les Paul Standard give a very rich warm tone, fantastic with distort, sounds really smooth with the clean channel, but if you play country music I think you would want a sharper sound. When I play this with the band, it just blows me away with the sound, there is so much warmth and richness sound. But because I play mostly rock this guitar suits me well, even tho I play some blues you would propally want a Fender Strat for a bluesy tone.

The guitar was very pricy and left me a bit low on cash (I am only 17 so it took me a while to save). I don't regret buying this guitar one bit, it attracts a lot of attention and that feels great when people come to watch you. I would only recommend this guitar to some one who has been playing for a few years and has a great intrest in playing guitar, when I bought this I was surrounded by experenced players (they must have 10+ years of playing while I only have 4 years) so I had to play my best so they didnt think "why should he have a Gibson, has crap!" But I gave it my all with some of my own material and a bit of Hendrix and I end of have a small audience around me. But back to the guitar side! I have owned the guitar for 5 months and its allready got a small dent in the body (it's small and no one ever sees it) and a small dent in the head stock then again its nothing major they are tiny. The guitar feels great when I play it, it's solid, well set up and lives up to the Gibson name. The one thing I hate about this guitar is the price. Ah man, I hated handing over 1400 pounds over (I am sure some of it is just for the name). But I love this guitar over all.

The guitar would easly withstand live playing, just watch the finish. The hardware is top quality and might even out live me (if you take care if it). I highly recommend that you get strap locks for it. The strap buttons are too small on the Les Paul and with out a doubt come off when playing live. I would still allways gig with a back up (in my case a west field Les Paul as back up).

The guitar's setup fantastic, intonation, action ect all perfect. The fretboard was a diffrent story, because it had been in a shop for a while and not used the wood was dryed out a bit, so I has to apply some lemon oil to it, good as new after. The finish even though it's the best finish I have ever seen, it is easly dammaged, you can dent the lacquer easyer then most guitars (have you ever seen a Gibson with out a few small dents? I know I haven't).

My Gibson Les Paul Standard was made in 2004, has 22 frets, finished in Cherry Sunburst, nickle hardware, Burstbucker pickups, rosewood fretboard, body and neck made of mahogany, 3 way tone selector. Guitar came with hard case, scratch plate in the case, manual, size 10 stings.

bigmarkus
    You can not compare a hand-crafted, USA made guitar like a Gibson Les Paul with a sweatshop made POS like and Epiphone. Any guitarist with an ear can hear the difference, and any guitarist better than a garage band rhythm guitarist can feel the difference. Anything else is socialist bullshit.