2002 Les Paul Special review by Gibson

Gibson: 2002 Les Paul Special

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music, Buffalo Grove, IL

Incredible guitar. Gives a great Creedence-esque feel clean, and can go straight for Fourtunate Son to Crazy Train through distortion. The sound is incredible. Sustain is about 6-7 seconds clean, and about 17 distorted. I use a Marshall MG15CD amp, and a Fender cable. The strings bend easily, and I can get close to 5 half-steps with little effort on bends. The sound is, again, very bright clean, and extremely heavy distorted. Awesome guitar.

This guitar was the best overall value. A Yamaha would have been comparable in price, but a thicker neck and fogier tone turned me off of it. This is a Gibson. Period. It is built to last, and it sounds amazing. If I had to sell all of my guitars but one, I would keep this one. Absolutely astounding. And for a great deal, too.

This guitar seems very solid. The faded finish will not wear, hardwear will last for sure, and I would definetly go into a gig with just this axe and a tuner. Love it to death. I live by this guitar.

No flaws what-so-ever. The very finest in USA-made parts.

2002, USA made, 22 frets, solid mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard, single cut flat-top les paul body style, tune-o-matic bridge, neck pickup: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker. Bridge pickup: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker. Gibson greenkey tuners, gig bag included. Goldtop knobs, 2 tone, 2 volume, 3 way Switch.

georgeseper1
    If I'm not mistaken in 2001 the pickups came in either P90 Single Coils or P100 Humbuckers. Both look the same externally as far as I can see but the P100's seem to be pretty unpopular with lots of folks...