50th Anniversary Explorer review by Gibson

Gibson: 50th Anniversary Explorer

Purchased from: sweetwater /usa

Sound wise this suits me down to the ground as I play alot of clasic rock eg guns n roses, zeplin and even a little bit of ram jam haha and I love that unmistakable Gibson PAF humbucker crunch, I'm rinning it with a Marshall valvestate 100W head and a Marshall 4X12 cab, playing it with these gives it a realy nice pure tone on clean, I have tryed it with other amps aswell eg peavy, Orange, Line 6 (never again) and Vox but I think the marshal compliments this guitar the best, the pickups on any od setting r prety much silent, very quite and when hitting higher notes eg for soloing gives you a very rich round with sum very raw pinched harmonics.

As I play alot of clasic rock and also sum old school metal it matches perfectly I have an Epiphone les paul which I realy do like i must admit haha, an Ibanez talman acustic. And a prs custom 22/12 and the 50th aniversary Explorer is definatly my favourite, I would definatly have another 1 of these guitars if it was stolen or damaged beyond repair, and if I'm honest I love everythin about it, its just a stunning guitar to look at and to hear, I did over pay for it but not by much and I donot regret it at all:)

This guitar has been my most reliable, exelent tuners, dosent need to be tuned half as much as my others, iv had this guitar for just over a year now and have had no problems with it, I regularly use it for gigging and never need a backup, I always take one just to make sure incase of a string snaping ect but have never needed it, and the finish seems fine, its not too thin but im confident it will last for a long time, especialy as I use a restoration kit to clean it ceeping it in tip top condition

This did let the guitar down a bit I must admit, the action was set to high and as I hadent seen the gearless tuners befor it took me a while to work them out, I did import this guitar aswell so it wasent just a case of calling the suplyer, erm apart from that and the fact the nut wasent cut quite right I have no other complaints about the setup of the guitar, the pickups are perfectly placed and the finish was stunning, I especialy like the ransparent red in the center of the body and adding the gold hardware realy sets this guitar off just make sure you get sum straplocks haha.

This review is for my limited edition 50th Aniversary Gibson Explorer, features wise its prety Standard as a Gibson comming with a nice pair of clasic Gibson 57' pickups with some gold plated covers which personaliy are some of my favourits this guitar is a solid- body with a AA figured maple top with beveled edges and a mohogany neck and a 22-fret ebony fingerboard with pearl split-block inlays and single-ply binding the finish is normaly a brimstone which is a realy nice Orange that fades dark around the edges but I managed to get hold of a realy deep red fading out to black, not sure on the name of this though, very nice steinburg gearless tunners very neet looking and a 3 way tone controle with 2 volume and 1 tone controle all coming with a guitar of the onth case from Gibson.

mrrman
    nice guitar, Ive always wanted one of these. A bit pricey for me though
    celticstorm84
    Great review, not sure about the price but I bet it's a fine guitar and hopefully lasts for you...nevermind the spelling/grammar, it's no trick to read and understand.
    Bobster_911
    i do apologise for my spelling , i am dislexic haha so that explains that bit , and also i gave it an 8 in features because again ther could have been more but as it is a slightly updadted version of the origonal things dident exist back then , also i talk about it as bein a grate because it is , it took me months to choose the guitar i wanted and i couldent have chosen beter , also i did say i overpayd but this was only due to import eg, v.a.t and shiping /handeling , oh yeh , also imported to england haha , thanks for the positive feedback , i took my time with this review and i apreciate the coments , wel most of them anyway sum people just cant help bein dicks can they
    belman III
    What?! Some people just don't use periods at the end of their sentences when they type. Besides it really doesn't matter so long as the context is understandable and isn't some garbled mess!
    DanBourne
    Personaly, I love The Explorer! and Gibsons all together. I am contemplating buying one in the near future having played one at my local music store! The SG and the Les Paul can't be compared to the explorer in my opinion. But the Flying V and the Explorer come in pretty Close! Thats it..... I will Buy both!!! (need money first)
    kia77
    explorers are very nice but personally I really dont like the les pauls or the SGs. I'll take an original white flying v over any other guitar any the tone is amazing
    hsteve3
    The statement about his grammar and punctuation is very accurate and necessary. It is not an insult. Also, it isn't clear why he gave the features an 8. If it is because of the lack of coil taps, tremolo, etc., he should have stated it. Again, this isn't an insult. This is constructive criticism that will better his future reviews if taken seriously.
    jean_genie
    ProgFolk12 wrote: Stop Being stupid. (more words) if you're going to comment, try to at least say something constructive about the review, ok?
    Yeah! Like insulting someone! That'd be more more productive! I'm guessing he game it an 8 for features because it doesn't have coil taps, a trem, or locking hardware. I would have given it a 9 (since those things didn't exist 50 years ago), but I think an 8 is fine. Having played this guitar myself, I think an overall review of 8.2 sounds just about right. Much better than average, among the best in its class, but not iconic or 'must-have' like a Les Paul Custom or a Martin D-45.
    ProgFolk12
    Stop Being stupid. I commented on his grammar and spelling because it makes the review difficult to understand and take seriously (As pointed out before). I'm not 'getting up his ass cuz I'm jealous'. I happen to think on the whole the guitar and review look pretty solid, while explorers aren't my thing, and I still think it needs to be played through some high end amps to give a real idea what it sounds like. In general the reviews on this site have to be taken with a pinch of salt, because so many are inaccurate or the guitars are played through poor amps. All I've done is made a valid point, if you're going to comment, try to at least say something constructive about the review, ok?
    Mr. Skull
    Petar wrote: Oyface wrote: ProgFolk12 wrote: Please sort out the spelling and grammar, it makes the review difficult to understand and take seriously. Also $2.4k gibby through a marshall valvestate? I'm not convinced...+1 +1 too. BTW, I still don't get why have you rated features only an 8, while saying only the best about the guitar. Othervise a great review, I wish I had one (both Marshall AND Gibson)
    well he said he imported it so i'm assuming english is not his 1st language. geez you guys gotta get up his ass about his grammar is it cuz you're jealous of his guitar?
    Petar
    Oyface
    thirteenburn
    To me, Gibson and Marshall are synonymous to where you can't think about one without thinking about the other. In my very humble opinion, no other instrument and amplification seem to be so seamlessly integrated as Gibson/Marshall are. Also, Gibson leads all guitars in look, feel and sound with the Les Paul, but personally speaking, I've always prefered the Explorer, Firebird or V. The Strat is a timeless classic and a very nice guitar indeed, nothing can touch Gibson and when run through a Marshall, a Mesa Boogie or any variation or combination of the two, supplimented with a few select pedals and that's a combo that just can't be beat. Great review - 10/10
    HvyFknMtl08
    That makes no sense at all, 5oth anniversary edition, if anything it should have came out "last year", or if by car models and videogames and whatnot, in 2007, still it's a badass guitar, that's fosho. HvyFknMtl08
    ProgFolk12
    jeigh.elzbth
    I'm going to chime in here as well...Firstly, yes the spelling is annoying; especially when the site uses spell check...just use it? Secondly, I don't get the 8 for features either. Third, I don't think you can even begin to judge the sound on a on a Valvestate...It's kinda ridiculous to even attempt to judge the sound without a tube amp. To the Marshall fanboy...low end Marshalls are notoriously bad sounding amps. The real issue here though is the 7 you give for action fit and finish. Explorers are incredibly comfortable guitars and arguably the most comfortably balanced while standing up. They also have AMAZING action. If you have poor action, take it to a luthier and set the thing up. Action can be changed? That 7 rating is nonsensical. So, get a real head...try an Orange with tubes..unbeatable. Then you will know what it truly means to rock. Good luck.