50th Anniversary Explorer Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Gibson: 50th Anniversary Explorer
The world wasnt quite ready for the Gibson Explorer in 1958, as evidenced by production numbers that strained to meet 100 units.
 8.3
 8.2
 8.3
 1,192
review (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
50th Anniversary Explorer Reviewed by: Bobster_911, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: sweetwater /usa

Features: This review is for my limited edition 50th Aniversary Gibson Explorer, features wise its prety Standard as a Gibson comming with a nice pair of clasic Gibson 57' pickups with some gold plated covers which personaliy are some of my favourits this guitar is a solid- body with a AA figured maple top with beveled edges and a mohogany neck and a 22-fret ebony fingerboard with pearl split-block inlays and single-ply binding the finish is normaly a brimstone which is a realy nice Orange that fades dark around the edges but I managed to get hold of a realy deep red fading out to black, not sure on the name of this though, very nice steinburg gearless tunners very neet looking and a 3 way tone controle with 2 volume and 1 tone controle all coming with a guitar of the onth case from Gibson. // 8

Sound: Sound wise this suits me down to the ground as I play alot of clasic rock eg guns n roses, zeplin and even a little bit of ram jam haha and I love that unmistakable Gibson PAF humbucker crunch, I'm rinning it with a Marshall valvestate 100W head and a Marshall 4X12 cab, playing it with these gives it a realy nice pure tone on clean, I have tryed it with other amps aswell eg peavy, Orange, Line 6 (never again) and Vox but I think the marshal compliments this guitar the best, the pickups on any od setting r prety much silent, very quite and when hitting higher notes eg for soloing gives you a very rich round with sum very raw pinched harmonics. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This did let the guitar down a bit I must admit, the action was set to high and as I hadent seen the gearless tuners befor it took me a while to work them out, I did import this guitar aswell so it wasent just a case of calling the suplyer, erm apart from that and the fact the nut wasent cut quite right I have no other complaints about the setup of the guitar, the pickups are perfectly placed and the finish was stunning, I especialy like the ransparent red in the center of the body and adding the gold hardware realy sets this guitar off just make sure you get sum straplocks haha. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been my most reliable, exelent tuners, dosent need to be tuned half as much as my others, iv had this guitar for just over a year now and have had no problems with it, I regularly use it for gigging and never need a backup, I always take one just to make sure incase of a string snaping ect but have never needed it, and the finish seems fine, its not too thin but im confident it will last for a long time, especialy as I use a restoration kit to clean it ceeping it in tip top condition // 9

Overall Impression: As I play alot of clasic rock and also sum old school metal it matches perfectly I have an Epiphone les paul which I realy do like i must admit haha, an Ibanez talman acustic. And a prs custom 22/12 and the 50th aniversary Explorer is definatly my favourite, I would definatly have another 1 of these guitars if it was stolen or damaged beyond repair, and if I'm honest I love everythin about it, its just a stunning guitar to look at and to hear, I did over pay for it but not by much and I donot regret it at all:) // 8

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special 8.5 Electric Guitars 01/08/2016