Angus Young SG review by Gibson

Gibson: Angus Young SG

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: online

I play AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and other classic rock, as well as a little soundtrack music, and some beatnick music. This SG is best for it, just play the Godfather on that one, it is wonderful. The whammy bar is the best on almost any other model. I used to play Strats, but the Gibson whammy bar is a ton of alot better than the Fender whammy bar, just a finger tip on the bar is wonderful. You can pull up and down on the bar. For amps and effects, the guitar carries it self. I need little to no gain, and sometimes a little reverb, pending on song. The sound is great and the way it vaires is outstanding.

It is a good match for any rocker out there. I own one other SG, but this one is my main axe. If it where stolen I would not hesatate to get a new one, except comming up with the money would be a little hard.

I used I live and it sounded perfect. The hardware is still perfect, and I never had a problem with the strap buttons. There is no real problem with wear, but when I rest my forearm on the back top arch, after a wile a little fill builds up, but you can scratch it off with you pick, just be delicate, to not scratch the paint.

I have had it for about five months now and the only problem was I had to change the D string twice. It came to me in what I believe to be near ment condition. The wear and tear was caused by me. The nickel does spot alot compaired to the crome that I usually use.

The Angus Young is made in the USA, like most Gibsons. Mine is a 2000, but bought brand new in early 2005. The SG has 22 frets with trapizoid inlets. The neck is rather flat but almost perfect with my small hands. The SG is made of mahogany and is painted a realy nice red-brown look, just like Angus' early SG. (Back In Black and before). It lookes like any other SG, but there is a devil school boy painted on the head. For the accessories, it has the classic two tone and two volume controls but the knobs are larger than most Gibson's, it also has the three way selector Switch. The accesoried are nickel. There is a tail piece with the harp logo and isted of "Gibson" written on the bottom ti say "Angus" of course it also has the whammy bar. The pickups are great, in the neck is a classic '57 humbucker, and at the bridge position is a Angus young signature humbucker. Both have nickel covers. It also comes with a special Gibson hardcase. The case has a custom inlining with the school boy devil emblem on it. The features are outstanding. I love it. I set it up where the front pickup has a tone of ten and the back has the tone of 0, and I have a perfect sound for a solo, rhythm, and during verse. And for the whammy bar, it is icing on the cake.

longonbon
    Zeppelindude101
    xwrench1x wrote: well its a ****ing awesome guitar no doubt..but gibsons(in my opinion) are wayyy to overrated
    You're wayyyyy overrated and guess what you suck
    strat7993
    kerno1 wrote: i would eat my hand 2 own this geetar
    dude how would you play?
    Rocker115
    thelordofguitar : personally i like les pauls better than sg's. even though les pauls are heavier i like their tone beter
    FUCKIN A!!!!
    Jdwcomic
    maximus69er wrote: who ever reckons that Gibson is the same quality as a epiphone either A) you are high B) you are a total ****tard C) you have no idea what a real guitar is D) have not heard a gibson in action
    E) All of the above
    Les Paul57
    For everyone talking about Epiphone vs. Gibson: Sure they're 'technically' made by the same people and yeah Epiphones are in fact excellent guitars, until you play a Gibson. Epiphones are nothing compared to Gibson's but if you want a great guitar and don't have two grand lying around than the Epiphone is a great choice.
    maximus69er
    big-boy-mike
    that's my all time fave guitar! i give middle nut to have one! bloody expensive but awesome!!!!
    zoomzoom
    kerno1 wrote: i would eat my hand 2 own this geetar
    How would you play it then?
    AC/DCRock
    AC/DCRock
    [quoteandrew1992, ive played like 4 epiphone sg's at a guitar center in ohio and they have a crappy sound, the neck feels all rough, its just a piece of junk so u must be high or something to like it][/quote] same i played a epiphone sg the neck was rough and it had a crap sound
    afrosk8er395
    SGMAN911 wrote: i wish i could afford this bad boy, if you think guitar is too expensive for you, then get a epiphone sg, i bought mine for like $500 and there just as good.
    do this but change the pickups to the signature at the bridge and 57 classic at neck =)
    RjW
    JD Close wrote: A. In school I'm doing a project on Hendrix who owned 2 sg's
    Wow, that makes you such an authority on SG's.
    JD Close
    by the the way that was an answer to the qoute thought it was angus not anguz. sounds ok, id rather get an ibanez
    guitarfreak222
    strat7993 wrote: kerno1 wrote: i would eat my hand 2 own this geetar dude how would you play?
    LMAO hes an idiot :p
    led_nirvallica
    I have a vintage '61 Gibson Les Paul Custom, and I'm about to swap out the old pickups... I heard that the '57 Classic humbucker goes best with the '57 Classic Plus at bridge. Any truth to this?
    hunterw44
    heres a cheap way to get an angus young sound: buy an epiphone g 400 $400-600 buy the angus young pickup $150 replace the pickup on your guitar with the angus young pickup (i forget which one) and there you go
    simshred
    kerno1 wrote: i would eat my hand 2 own this geetar
    then how would u play it
    ten_years_after
    im not real big on sg's but with the tremelo i might go for it since my only guitar that has a tremelo is a piece of shit
    vferrizz
    MaggaraMarine
    AC/DCRock wrote: Metalic Demon wrote: what i dont get is that this is an angus signature guitar, however angus young never used a whammy bar so why does it have one on it? thought the same thing but if u watch AC/DCs no bull concert on DVD during the Let There be rock solo he use the wammy bar
    Jailbreak?? He uses whammy (listen to the intro when Bon Scott sings "16 years in hell" and after guitar solo when he sings "spotlights"). I don't remember if he uses whammy in other songs but I think he has used it in some songs.
    MaggaraMarine
    vferrizz wrote: I also think this guitar is very cool. However, can someone please show me where the $2000 is hidden in this guitar? There is definitely not $2000 worth of material or labor into it. The crazy prices for nice guitars just pisses me off. I guess that is why I have a used Fender Standard Strat and a used Ibanez RGR421EXFM1.
    Gibson name on it + $500 and Angus Young name on it another + $500.
    SGMAN911
    xwrench1x
    St.Jimmy13
    JD Close
    Dude, sg's are anyone's dream, Ibenezes SUCK with a capital SUCK. It's safe to say that the PRO's (better than you) like them. For example: A. In school I'm doing a project on Hendrix who owned 2 sg's B. Jimmy Page, double sg C. ANGUS YOUNG (duh) used one D. Today I played an sg, (wasn't mine hehe) it was amazing! And having it Angus Young style is just a feature to make it better, so you go out and kill your neighbor's cat with a crappy sounding Ibenez and I'll get famous with my Angus Young style SG and we'll see if you reconsider then. Sound good to you?
    rick921
    hansarvin wrote: I thought the very same thing when I saw this at first then looked at what he plays. Most often he actually plays a 62 reissue instead of this. And doesn't normal use his signature pick-ups. O and I agree about the Epiphone v Gibson quality. I have a Les Paul Custom Epiphone SG with 3 pick-ups and gold hardware etc... But I also own a 78' Gibson Challenger (cheaper version of the Les Paul) and the quality is just there compared to the Epiphone, though I have to say the Higher priced Epiphone's are better than say my first guitar which was the $100 Les Paul Jr. But that is all just my .02
    oscarstegland
    Sorry to say buddy, but an Epiphone will never even come close to comparing with a good Gibson. Don't compare with the cheap Gibsons cuz if you buy a cheap one all you're paying for is the Gibson label on the headstock.
    Johnny Blade
    longonbon wrote: angus is the coolest guitar player though i wouldnt like to get a signature guitar cause you should be yourself
    This is very true I have always felt the same way about custom guitars but I went and bought a Gibson Tony Iommi SG and am very happy with it.
    Spartan 117
    what does cam201 mean by the neck starting to move? i have an sg standard! I'm worried! oh yeah and this looks good, but i'd rather get a historic reissue sg standard w/ the vibrola.
    Eamon Fethers
    St.Jimmy13 wrote: andrew1992, ive played like 4 epiphone sg's at a guitar center in ohio and they have a crappy sound, the neck feels all rough, its just a piece of junk so u must be high or something to like it
    i had a mate that bought an ep sg and it felt like i was playin wiv fence wire strings, the overdrive sounded shit but that was only coz it was a crappy practise amp