Angus Young SG Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 03/07/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Angus Young SG
Gibson's new Angus Young Signature SG is a faithful reproduction of the artist's trademark axe. Designed and manufactured to Angus' exacting specifications, this SG has exactly what it takes to rock "all night long".
 Features: 9.3
 13,944
reviews (3) pictures (1) 70 comments vote for this gear:
Angus Young SG Reviewed by: lordluce, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: online

Features: The Angus Young is made in the USA, like most Gibsons. Mine is a 2000, but bought brand new in early 2005. The SG has 22 frets with trapizoid inlets. The neck is rather flat but almost perfect with my small hands. The SG is made of mahogany and is painted a realy nice red-brown look, just like Angus' early SG. (Back In Black and before). It lookes like any other SG, but there is a devil school boy painted on the head. For the accessories, it has the classic two tone and two volume controls but the knobs are larger than most Gibson's, it also has the three way selector Switch. The accesoried are nickel. There is a tail piece with the harp logo and isted of "Gibson" written on the bottom ti say "Angus" of course it also has the whammy bar. The pickups are great, in the neck is a classic '57 humbucker, and at the bridge position is a Angus young signature humbucker. Both have nickel covers. It also comes with a special Gibson hardcase. The case has a custom inlining with the school boy devil emblem on it. The features are outstanding. I love it. I set it up where the front pickup has a tone of ten and the back has the tone of 0, and I have a perfect sound for a solo, rhythm, and during verse. And for the whammy bar, it is icing on the cake. // 10

Sound: I play AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and other classic rock, as well as a little soundtrack music, and some beatnick music. This SG is best for it, just play the Godfather on that one, it is wonderful. The whammy bar is the best on almost any other model. I used to play Strats, but the Gibson whammy bar is a ton of alot better than the Fender whammy bar, just a finger tip on the bar is wonderful. You can pull up and down on the bar. For amps and effects, the guitar carries it self. I need little to no gain, and sometimes a little reverb, pending on song. The sound is great and the way it vaires is outstanding. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have had it for about five months now and the only problem was I had to change the D string twice. It came to me in what I believe to be near ment condition. The wear and tear was caused by me. The nickel does spot alot compaired to the crome that I usually use. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I used I live and it sounded perfect. The hardware is still perfect, and I never had a problem with the strap buttons. There is no real problem with wear, but when I rest my forearm on the back top arch, after a wile a little fill builds up, but you can scratch it off with you pick, just be delicate, to not scratch the paint. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a good match for any rocker out there. I own one other SG, but this one is my main axe. If it where stolen I would not hesatate to get a new one, except comming up with the money would be a little hard. // 10

Angus Young SG Reviewed by: cam201, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: online

Features: Well my Angus Young sig SG is really a classic instrument. I brought mine brand new off an online shop in early 2004. The guitar has 22 frets with trapizoid inlays. A beautiful finish on the body. Due to the small neck and my big hands I can't really master my soloing but I'm more a rhythm guitarist than lead, so the fingerboard is not to my liking but it looks great. The body is bloody brilliant and I find it very hard to take my eyes off it, the guitar is very like a sexy lady. On the heAD it has a devil school boy. For the pickups it has a Angus young signature humbucker in the bridge a 57 classic humbucker in the neck it has a 57 classic humbucker but I took the Angus Young humbucker out and put a burstbucker there because I didn't particularly like the sound but the overall sound was good. It comes with a special Gibson hardcase with the devil schoolboy stamped on it. It has the classic two tone and two volume controls which seem to be bigger than your average SG. So overall a great all-round job, as I said I can't solo on it properly so I stick to rhythm which is my job. The vibrola is very good even though I don't use it so yeah but its an awesome guitar and will get the job done admirably at any gig. // 9

Sound: Well now it has a sound that I'm suited to after putting the burstbucker in there. The Angus young humbucker was too leadish if you know wat I mean. I use mine with an JCM45, yep the very same one that Malcolm & Angus Young uses. The guitar does not sound good with a lot of gain then again you don't need it. The guitar has got everything loaded into it pretty much. I play rock/metal such as AC/DC and Led Zeppelin so the guitar is perfect for what I play. So I reckon no gain, reverb all the way, contour halfway and that will get you a good sound with or without the burstbucker. It did have a very good sound with the Angus sig humbucker in there but as I said it was fit for the job of rhythm. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Now this is where I had a bit of a problem. The day I got it I snapped strings B and E but its a bit of a dodgy bridge which of course I got replaced straight away. From what I've heard SG Tune-O-Matic bridges don't last a very long time if your a real ruff lead guitarist. They seem to wear after a while causing the strings to brake. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I had a problem here too. Now I was doing a gig with it, halfway through one of my songs and all of a sudden it the neck started to move. Now I've heard of this happening to SG standards but not to Angus sig SGs. I put it down immediately and had it fixed the next day but that was after about 1 year of playing live doing about 5 gigs every couple of weeks, it was probably gonna happen eventually. I guess I just got a dodgy guitar. It definitely did the job at gigs I can tell you that; at the end the crowd came up on stage and started taking photos of it and asking me if he could hold it. It also gets me in the ladies. // 7

Overall Impression: Awesome all-round guitar, will get the job done. I got a warranty on it just in case something went wrong with it and I hope that will never happen. What I said in the other paragraphs about the bridge and stuff is nothing really worth worrying about. Best guitar I ever brought! // 10

Angus Young SG Reviewed by: yuyaya, on march 07, 2013

Features: The SG is one of Gibson's most iconic models, and many famous players are closely associated with it - including Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi, Cream-era Eric Clapton, Radiohead's Thom Yorke, System Of A Down's Daron Malakian, and of course Pete Townshend. But perhaps no guitar/artist pairing in Gibson's history is more iconic than that of the SG and Angus Young of AC/DC. Whether he's duckwalking across the stage in his schoolboy uniform, ripping out immortal riffs, or head-bobbing while thrashing out searing blues-based solos, it's almost impossible to picture Angus without his trusty Gibson SG Standard. The Angus Young backstory Angus' original go-to axe was a red '68 SG Standard with a Lyre vibrato tailpiece, which he swapped out for a more string-stabilizing fixed tailpiece. Gibson's new Angus Young SG reflects that modification, as well as other "wish list" items that comprise the AC/DC lead guitarist's ultimate SG. Features unique to this model, which Angus and Gibson collaborated on, include distinctive lighting bold inlays for fret markers and an Angus Young model pickup in the bridge. But other classic hallmarks that have made the SG Angus' axe of choice are all in evidence too, with some crafted according to Angus' specifications, and some simply reflecting the best qualities of the various SGs Angus has owned throughout his career. Let's see what winning combination of classic and custom elements make up this very special guitar. Angus SG Overview The Angus Young SG's body is made of solid mahogany, sculpted in a thin, flat-top profile with beveled edges, and is lightweight while still delivering excellent resonance and sustain properties. The black is scooped in the upper portion of the waist as well, allowing the guitar to fit snugly against your midsection and augmenting the guitar's already slender, streamlined feel. The neck is also solid mahogany with an ebony fingerboard sporting the aforementioned lighting bold inlays and a cream-colored binding that transition into impeccably dressed frets. The neck profile is ultrathin, measuring 0.775" at the first fret and only 0.85" at the 12th fret. Now, that's slim - and fast! The headstock features the classic Gibson logo with Angus' signature etched in white on the truss rod cover. The vintage-looking Kluson-style tuners have a 14:1 gear ratio and are capped with classy looking pearloid buttons, recalling the original Klusons used on '60s SGs. When strapped on and adjusted into playing position, the guitar feels balanced, light, and speedy. It's just waiting to take off! // 9

Sound: In the pickup department, the Angus Young SG is fitted with a Gibson '57 Classic in the neck and a Gibson Angus Young model in the bridge. The specially made back pickup is a vintage-style, two conductor type, just like its rhythm-position counterpart. For that classic hard rock, raw sound, nothing beats the '57 and its dead-on emulation of the original PAF humbucker. The difference between the '57 in the bridge and the neck is that the Angus version is over-wound to produce a higher output signal and is powered by an Alnico V magnet for greater punch and clarity. Despite the increased kick of the back pickup, I found the two '57s were well-balanced regarding their respective output levels. Going from neck to bridge always felt organic, and I never had to ride the bridge pickup's volume knob to manage the transition between the two. This well-balanced quality also came through with the selector in the middle position (both pickups on). This was my favorite setting for scratchy funk and moving-chord passages, producing just the right blend of chordal girth and high-end snap. The electronics echo the original SGs of the '60s with separate volume and tone controls for each pickup, and a three-way pickup-selector switch tucked conveniently between the control area and the pickguard, allowing for quick pickup changes. The volume controls are configured in the classic SG way with linear 500K potentiometers, while the tone controls feature non-linear 300K pots with a 0.0223mf capacitor for a smother treble roll-off. I found that I could back the tone controls off quite a ways and still have full-sounding, musical tone without sucking the life out of the high end. This was especially true in the bridge-pickup-only situations, where I could take off a little top-end brittleness using just the tone control and not have to switch pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To be true to the AC/DC ethic, I plugged the Angus Young SG into a Marshall JT45. I started out with the neck pickup, playing low-position chords with just a hint of furriness coming from the amp. The sound was warm and full, perfect for blues, blues-rock, and hard rock rhythm playing. In higher-gain settings, the '57 beefed-up considerably, getting a bit more surly yet kept its clarity and focus. Kicking the pickup selector down to the bridge pickup, the guitar fairly explodes, delivering punching low notes, crunchy chords and raw, searing single-note leads. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Though the Angus Young pickup has the full and thick mids characteristic of all humbuckers, there's an extra crispiness and snappy, almost percussive response in this overwound '57. It's letter-perfect for ripping out edgy riffs and stinging leads for rock - both garage and classic, punk, and metal. In other words, anything that needs some severe attitude. And speaking of attitude, the riffs to "Highway To Hell", "You Shook Me All Night Long", and "Back In Black" never sounded truer or more honest than when delivered with the full-throated roar from the Angus Young SG's back pickup. // 9

Overall Impression: Beyond the Gibson craftsmanship, unique appointments stemming from the manufacturer-artist collaboration, and the classic tone, the quality that stands out most in the Angus Young SG is its playability. It's perhaps the lightest and fastest-fretting SG I've ever played. The neck's slim profile, thin body, and overall lighter weight, topped off with super-low action, all contribute to a playing experience that borders on effortless. That, combined with the guitar's rip-roaring back-pickup sound, makes this SG capable of creating immortal riffs-either in homage to Angus or when building your own legend. Find great prices on the Angus Young Gibson SG guitar. // 10

Comments