Buckethead Signature Les Paul review by Gibson

Gibson: Buckethead Signature Les Paul

Purchased from: The Music Zoo

Like most of my fellow guitarists, when buying a guitar, I play my best licks from all kinds of genres. Well let me tell you, this baby can do it all. From blues and R&B, to rock and metal. You can get a wide selection of tones you can choose from mostly because of the coil-tap option this guitar offers. You won't get any authentic Tele or Strat tones, but you will get something very similar. Neck Pickup: Gibson Ceramic 496R - Very warm sound, and great for blues, soul, and some lo-fi shredding. In my opinion it sounds like a lot of Bridge pickups on some guitars, but a tad warmer. When you coil tap it, it sounds almost Strat-like, but not really, and it's not really HOT enough for that sharp Tele-tone. It's more of a diminished, airy version of this pickup un-tapped. Still amazing and very useful for songwriting though. Bridge Pickup: Gibson Ceramic 500T - Perhaps the hottest passive pickup I've ever heard. Very hot, and almost face-melting. My words can do it no justice. Amazing for rock and metal. It can get a bit too loud and even give some feedback, depending on your gain and volume levels, but that's what the volume control is for. Coil-tapped, sounds very close to being tele-like, but not quite, since it has a bit more presence to it's sound. Both Pickups - Very rich sounding. You really can hear the low, mid, and high ends of the pickups when they are activated together. They work very nicely together. Very in your face sounding too. Killswitches - One on the upper bout, one right by the tone control. Both are very responsive and seem durable enough. Great for those odd, robotic melodies.

I've been playing for about 7 years. I play mostly rock, blues, metal, and I'm starting to get into Jazz. This guitar is very reliable and delivers amazingly for all those genres. I own a Fender American and Squier Strat, so yea, this is my battle ax. I had 3 other guitars, but I sold them all to make-up the cash to buy this bad boy. If this guitar were stolen, like I said, I'd go nuts, but I would defiantly look into trying to buy another (depending on price and availability). It's a bit heavy and big to maneuver with, but I guess you could look at it as a back-workout, and I personally got use to it. I bought this guitar because I have big hands and needed a guitar with that Les Paul tone, but that would work for my hands, and this guitar is perfect for that. I am truly in love with every feature of this guitar. If I would change anything about it, I guess I would make it have a different look to it instead of just white, but this isn't too bad either.

This guitar does seem very durable. The hardware, strap-locks, and finish looks tough enough to last. Quick story: I was practicing some songs while standing up and playing, and hit the tip of the headstock on one of my walls (pretty hard, actually). Long story short, my wall has the dent, and the headstock IS IN PERFECT CONDITION. This has happened once more, and bore the same result. So that's saying something. However, my only qualm is that I'm scared of taking this guitar out for a gig or a practice. This guitar is my most expensive guitar, it's supposedly going up in value, and it is just so damn perfect for me and my style, that if anything were to happen to it, I'd go nuts. Is it me or am I just paranoid?

The action was PERFECT! Came with 10's. Very amazing for big hands like mine. It might not be easy to shred on this guitar if you play average sized Les Paul necks because their necks are considerably smaller. This neck is more like a chunkier SG neck. Pickups were very adjusted. The finish of the guitar itself was flawless. It has a very minimalistic yet quirky-futuristic look to it.

I can sit here and type out all the specs for you about this 2010 beauty, or you can get LITERALLY every single detail about the guitar straight from the horse's mouth here. As you can see, it is VERY unique, both in looks and in construction. It is a pleasure to behold, hold, and play.

Slap-happy
    Why the negativity surrounding 10/10 reviews?? It's a well made instrument in a higher price bracket and the reviewer said it's his(?) most expensive guitar, therefore, by comparrison to other instruments owned possibly warrants a 10/10 review. Sure, most things could use improvement, but if it hits all the right buttons for you and sounds exactly how you want it to under various criteria then it is deserving of it's marks. Stop being elitist fools with little else to do other than bag other people and their OPINIONS. I'm heading off to try one of these out at the weekend on the strength of this review.
    Rorshamandias
    Hey guys, So I've read your comments, and while I do understand how you'd all be suspicious about this review, I can assure you, I was as critical as I could possibly have been. I've had this guitar for almost 6 months and have tested the hell out of it before I wrote a review. That being said, I can assure you guys, I DO NOT WORK FOR GIBSON. I WISH I DID THOUGH!!! That would be freakin' awesome. Fact of the matter is, I gave this guitar a 10 because it is literally perfect for me. I've fallen in love with every, single, aspect about this ax. But I do list the specs, and I even mention quite a few times that this guitar probably won't be ideal for people with smaller hands. But I thank you all for your criticisms! I'll make sure to take them all to heart, and perhaps review future products more effectively. However, I still stand by this review. Thanks for reading!
    DoubleBassCrash
    The scale length alone is the selling point for me, it's a sick Les paul, I see a bunch of them going for $1,229.00, don't have the money for it, but at that price I feel that's a steal for such a cool guitar. If you dig Baritone, scoop this up! You could tune to Octave E on this guitar, six full steps down, and probably lower!
    mikmat13
    not to hate but i think there is no guitar that has such a lack of flaws that it can be rated 10 acrost the board
    newyorkdoll90
    Its sound is absolutely breathtaking. Haven't seen it carried by any Guitar Centers, though.
    celticstorm84
    I love how people complain about number ratings or how reviews are people promoting their product. Really? Stupid. Good review, wouldn't mind trying the guitar if I see it in a shop.
    Joe-Floyd-lover
    Thsi is a guitar worthy of calling a signature guitar. I am tired of all the Les Paul "Signatures" that are really just Les Pauls with a custom finish.
    ryaniomitch
    TO THE GUY WHO WROTE THIS ARTICLE! GET IT INSURED! IT WILL BE WELL WORTH IT IF YOU DROP DAMAGE BRAKE MISPLACE OR HAVE IT STOLEN, the same just happened to me although with a lot cheaper guitar but it worked out better for me in the end. get it insured now!
    jhart08
    Zephyroudret wrote: "10,10,10,10,10" I'm out,thx,bye.
    +1. Either give a seriously perspective review or stop wasting our time...after i saw all 10s i quit reading.
    HarrySound
    MegatronGlen wrote: haha the red botton looks like an Arcade Botton!
    It is, made by the real Japanese guys who make the arcade buttons. I freaking love buckethead but the 27" scale length and HUGE over sized body of this guitar and the fact I don't want to look like I want to BE him....put me off.
    Vantage
    jimmy-moto wrote: BongHooitz wrote: jimmy-moto wrote: For any Buckethead fans... I recently found his own youtube channel disguised as someone doing Buckethead covers. The account is: newBUCKETHEADcover You can tell it's really him by the weirdness he emanates and the size of his hands. It doesn't have too many views and most of the comments suggest finding his own style instead of copying Buckethead. Little do they know, it is actually Buckethead himself. That is not Buckethead.. Sorry man, but Buckethead is way better than that guy.. He's just impersonating him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's pretending to play worse just to try to fool people. I don't think it's possible to act that much like him without actually being him. If watch a lot of the videos, you will understand.
    Look at his picking hand. Trust me, it's not easy to keep it like that when you're used to having your picking hand like a claw.
    Vantage
    And just to clarify, I'm trying to say that it's very very very unlikely that that is Big B. Just look at the height. No bulging veins on his hands either.
    Exhumed91
    Nethero
    Exhumed91 wrote: Can anyone find an example of Buckethead using the mute buttons? I'd like to hear what it sounds like. It just seems like their use would be limited.
    Buckethead uses the killswitches all the time. It's become a signature tone of his to use a killswitch. Just listen to Jordan, the whole entire first half before the solo is done on a killswitch. Basically when you tap it repeatedly, it makes a sort of robotic way of picking.
    rapster998
    Rorshamandias
    rapster998 wrote: Why don't people realize unique means 'one of a kind'? Something can't be very one of a kind...
    Unique also means not typical or unusual, fyi.
    rv_phoenix
    I'm surprised to see that this splendid guitar has been rated lower than crappy copies of a Les Paul made by Xaviere, Stagg, Gear4Music and other renown Chinese-garbage-with-European (or American)-badges guitar companies. Of course, straight 10s are ridiculous, especially when the reviewer had the money to buy the guitar, but not the knowledge to use it, like the last review, submitted by Rorshamandias. But if you look how high do our fellows rate fake LPs made in Alder or Basswood, you must start rating genuine LPs on a scale from 20 to 50. This one deserving a 35 or a 38, perhaps.
    jimmy-moto
    Most_Triumphant
    feathers632 wrote: Not enough 10's in this review. Disappointed. I will no longer be buying this guitar.
    yep all this guy is doing is trashing a nice guitar, its almost like hes not selling it.
    -xCaMRocKx-
    I like how on the website it has a picture of the kill switches next to the info on the strap buttons. lol wut Anyway, all 10/10s.
    ChucklesMginty
    I have those pickups in my V, and any guitar that comes stock with them doesn't deserve a 10 imo..
    luke_guitar
    MegatronGlen wrote: haha the red botton looks like an Arcade Botton!
    that's exactly what they are - buckethead's design
    GibsonMan321
    stivie1995 wrote: this has been out for years
    Maybe like 1 year at most. You're crazy.
    feathers632
    BongHooitz
    W4T3V3R
    Not much of a review really was it. 10/10/10/10/10 really? As in there is nothing on earth that could improve this guitar? I doubt that.
    catastrofx617
    Okay, so maybe all 10's is a bit extreme. But considering the price, as well as the fact that its built to Buckethead's specifications, I'd expect something damn near close to perfect.