Custom Shop 1958 Reissue review by Gibson

Gibson: Custom Shop 1958 Reissue

This guitar sounds unbelievable. I mostly play heavy blues rock or classic rock (no metal or pop) and its perfect for it. I have a Vox Valvetronix combo amp for practicing that I usually play through but I have a Marshall 1987X head with a 1960ax cab and it's a dream to hear. The pickups give great highs and mids, with outstanding low ends. I usually roll back the volume on the Bridge to seven and on the neck to 8. I like the tone to stay up there around 9 on both though. I sometimes wander into the 9.5 zone though, no real big difference there. Its so rich and sounds so colorful you have an endless amount of variety there. If you look at any great band, one of the guitarists is playing a Les Paul somewhere. Hell, even MGMT's singer plays a guitar. This is a rock and roll machine.

I love this guitar. I've spent the past year vigorously looking for my voice through a guitar and I realized I wanted classic tone with modern improvements and the 1958 vos Les Paul was my baby. I played one and almost started drooling on it. Some people say that its not the guitar but the riffs and how you play them and how the greats all played just standards back in the day but its that magical mojo almost that they'd somehow get from it and this guitar gets you that. You'll feel it if you play one. If you got the cash, this guitar can't and won't Steer you wrong. I love her and was the best guitar purchase of my life.

A very heavy guitar at about 9.5 pounds I think, is very sturdy and very well made. I think this guitar will last me the span of my life if I treat it right. It's my #1 guitar and always will be. When I gig with it, I don't bring a back up because I don't expect it breaking on me any time soon. I did have the 50's neck profile shaved down just a little bit so it might not be the same durability as someone else's but it'll last for decades to come.

Since mine was plek'd, it had unreal playability. If you don't have a plek'd guitar you might say "eh, no real big difference", but if you own one, you can immediately tell the difference and how much easier it is to play. The action is nice, low and quick. The pickups were set pretty nicely, I raised my Bridge one just a hair but no big challenge there. I didn't get any buzzing on my frets, and its just beautiful. I usually use some Custom gauged Ernie Ball super slinkies (9 gauge) and they work great with the 24 3/4 inch scaling.

This guitar was made in 2007, right when Gibson began plek'ing their historic Custom shop guitars. It has a maple top, mahogany back, mahogany neck, a rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, 50's round neck, a Burstbucker 1 in the neck position and Burstbucker 2 in the Bridge position, a 24 3/4" Scale Length, and a 1 11/16" nut width. It has a tune-o-matic of course so its easy to get perfect intonation. Mine came with a SKB case but you can get a Gibson case if you really want one.

Sakke
    NHECOS
    Sakke wrote: I like everything except the fact that I can't afford one :haha: I wonder how you can play 9s with a LP O.O Even 10s in E standard feel a bit loose to me, I'd probably need 11s for that good feeling when in D standard..
    For 11's maybe you should have to adjust the bridge. Nevertheless... great guitar... one day I will buy '59 for myself.