Dethklok Thunderhorse Explorer review by Gibson

Gibson: Dethklok Thunderhorse Explorer

USA made Explorer body style. It has a mahogany, non-chambered body and mahogany set neck (thin '60s profile) with an Ebony fingerboard (although the newer ones spec Richlite fingerboards). The pickups are a Burstbucker 1 in the neck and the slightly hotter Burstbucker 2 in the bridge, controlled by two volume and one tone knob. No coil tapping from the factory. The switch is a typical Gibson three way. The bridge is a tune-o-matic with a stopbar tailpiece. The tuners are mini Grover. The paint is a very nice silverburst to black on the edges. Cream color binding is used on the entire body and neck. The guitar came with a Gibson USA hard case.

The Burstbucker pickups are medium output humbuckers. This makes them very versatile. They sound great with everything from slight overdrive to all out metal distortion. The great thing is, no matter what you're playing through, the note clarity is very crisp and clean. It's nice to be able to pick through distorted chords and actually be able to hear the notes without getting muddy. Pinch harmonics are elso a breeze. I was pleasantly surprised at the clean sound as well. Even without backing off the volume, the cleans are very clean when running through low gain settings. The only thing you won't be able to get is single coil tones, due to no coil splitting from the factory. I play it through a Vox AC30 with a pedalboard in front. Wampler Triple Wreck distortion and Fulltone OCD dirt. I also have an ADA MP-1 based rack running through a Laney 4x12 cab.

Make no mistake, this is a top quality, American made Gibson. I could honestly not find one single flaw with this beauty. The finish on the body is like glass, and underneath, you can see the texture and detail of the wood grain through the paint. The neck fit in the pocket is perfect, almost seamless. The fretwork is as smooth as can be. You won't be catching your fingers or hands on any edges running up and down the board. The action is nice and low with no string buzz and the intonation was spot on.

I haven't gigged this guitar or put it through any rigorous paces, so I can't testify firsthand as to it's durability. I kind of baby it because it's the nicest guitar I own. I mainly just play it in my home and use it in jam sessions with friends on weekends, so it gets used, just not in a bar or gig setting at the moment. What I can say is, this is a Gibson guitar. It feels rock solid, and Explorers have a long history in live metal, punk, and hard rock. I can't imagine there would be any specific concerns about this particular model.

My overall impression of the Dethklok Thunderhorse Explorer is incredible. This is a jack of all trades rock guitar that sports awesome looks to boot. This is one of those guitars that almost plays itself. I have a Jackson DKMG, '87 Charvel 1A, Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ebony board, and a Fender Telecaster. The Dethklok Explorer plays smoother and with less effort than any of the other guitars. I'm giving the guitar a 10 because it met and exceeded my every expectation of it, and I had very high expectations. Get one now!

paulbagowitz
    Do's you haves any non grampas doing reviews. go's home yous dildos.
    DexterF
    Sounds like "broke, shitty guitar, can't play"
    TheGroundZero
    This video is not me, nor was it submitted by me. UG added to my review.
    shipper
    Don't worry about these young guys. they don't know jack about anything. they just think they do. I enjoyed your review and I'm going to try one of these Explorers for myself.
    Shimmeh
    Skwissgar Skwigelf from Metalacolypse, the show that Brendon Small writes uses this guitar and says that, just in case youre wondering wtf is going on.
    KerNeL_KLuTcH
    Gibson needs to offer silverburst on all their models.
    TheGroundZero
    This I agree with. I got this model more for the color, pickups, and ebony fretboard than by virtue of being a Metalocalypse fan. I always wanted an Explorer, and this one fit the bill perfectly.
    bdof
    Looks nice. Prob plays nice. A little overpriced though. I thought you played just fine though. Most people on here don't include clips of them playing when doing a review. You obviously don't suffer from the same insecurities. Your player level sounded pretty close to mine, so it was a nice comparison for what it Could sound like if I played
    Spenner2810
    Nice. I love the Explorer shape and the silverburst finish is great. I think the pickups need to be a bit more 'metal' to match the look of the guitar. Let's face it you're going to look like a real melon playing Brown Eyed Girl on it.....
    deathofagod
    Uugh I find it infuriating when people don't make use of the pinky finger. Does he have no pride in his craft? So much needless movement when he could JUST USE THE DAMN PINKY! (I'm referring to the demo video btw.)
    Tdtanase
    Good review kid. I see one used for $1750 I think you sold me. Keep rockin son.
    leony03
    I wanted this so bad but no way was I going to be able to afford one when it was available. Surprised its taken this long for someone to review it on here :p
    TheGroundZero
    I'm going to brag on this guitar a little more. After taking the time to tweak the neck and bridge height, I've been able to get the action lower(suits my play style), with no buzz whatsoever, on this guitar than any other guitar I own. The neck and frets are just so straight and level it facilitates a great setup. The setup on it was already better than most, but I wanted to see how perfect I could get it.