EDS-1275 review by Gibson

Gibson: EDS-1275

Purchased from: Gibson Custom Guitar Shop in Nashville, TN

I play the blues, some metal/hard rock, and mostly classic rock with Led Zeppelin being a great inspiration as well as Pink Floyd and Van Halen. It plays very well with my music. I use a Marshall Slant Cab and Header Half Stack and use mostly Boss pedals. The pedals include a phase shifter, standard overdrive, metal zone, blues Drive, acoustic simulator, super chorus, and a flanger. All sound superb except for the Metal Zone, it tends to "Squeal" if turned up too loud, but only if its on the neck humbucker, other than that its all excellent. But the Guitar without any effects sounds ambient, practically amazing. The 6-String plays well as does the 12-String, to all Rhythm Guitarists as myself out there, this 12-String is a Chords best friend. Great great sound.

Over all, I think this guitar would fit most styles of music because of its sound quality and playability. Its definitely worth paying for. But if you happen to not have the Bill Gates pocket change to buy this guitar, go ahead and pick-up the Epiphone one. I have used many Epiphones in the past and have worked and sounded great, lots of stereotypes on Epiphone though. Seeing how its related to the theory of Squier being to Fender as Epiphone is to Gibson. People, the only difference is that the Gibson models are hand made, and the Epiphones are just made quicker by machine, nothing wrong. Get this Guitar!

I have played this live. And before this one I used a Gibson SG, good guitar, but this one? Without a doubt, better. I have a feeling that this Guitar as well as its hardware will last a vast amount of years to come. But one thing however bothered me when I played it standing up for the first time. The Strap Buttons are really small, I had to replace them with larger locking Strap Buttons, now it fits like a glove. I always bring a back-up Guitar with me no matter what. Whether it be someone handling the equipment shitty then drop something, or maybe even my care-less ass drops it. I could'nt tell you how much this Guitar could with-stand seeing how I haven't dropped it yet and hopefully I wont. But its nothing against the Guitar with me bringing a spare, thats just me being paranoid.

Practically all Gibsons are Handmade and as this one was from its Custom Shop, so I would think extra care and construction took place in the factory as well as the people who delivered it. (It was ordered.) I have yet to find one flaw, honestly, there is literally nothing wrong with this Guitar. The Humbucks are set in the right place, very firm where they sit. The Custom finish of this Guitar compliments the Player and the sound as well. My favorite Guitar I have.

In May I picked up the Led Zeppelin double-disc DVD with alot some concerts live. I had never realized Jimmy Page had played Stairway to Heaven live with a Double-Neck, I'm not even sure if thats how he did it in the studio. But man, this/these Guitar(s) do(es) not joke at all. A Switch for the Neck and rhythm are present by a picture, and the neck selector is what makes this Double-Neck really neat. Choose the 6-String to be on, or maybe the 12-String. Hell you can have them both on at the same time. Cool Stuff! The Double-Neck I got was the Custom Model. So it was a little more pricey than the Maroon Coloured similar, but well well well worth the money, thats for sure. With two Gibson Gold Plated Humbuckers on each Guitar/Neck(?) it benefits by the sound.

abdullahnaqvi
    Actually, Page used a Fender Electric 12 on the studio recording. And yeah, I think a Tele for the solo.
    mattiwillohouse
    xonty
    Does anyone know if there's a shop in england where you can try this out?
    mahavishnu1992
    This guitar is so beautiful! Especially when it's white. I fell in love with it when i saw Alex playing Xanadu on Exit Stage Left... I've decided now that I'll buy one of that Gibson, I have to save up a lot of money through the follewing years...
    evandar
    TomRennardson : Johnny_Rocks: You cant get a cheap version!!!!!
    i got one second hand the EDS for 600 euro
    Iliaz
    Der Bomber wrote: Jimmy recorded the stairway to heaven solo with a fender telecaster.
    its a common mistake that people think it was a tele. actually he recorded it with a fender XII twelvestring electric. google it...
    MAYNARD
    Ali-b912 wrote: page played a telecaster for the solo but ive never heard him say what he used for the rest. he used a fender electric 12 for the main 12 string part. i think they double tracked it all with acoustics. i think intro-acoustic verse1-acoustic&electric chorus-12string acoustic$electric and until the solo it stays the same. after the solo its just electric 12 i think.
    For the "And as we wind on down the road" part, LP/Marhsall combo.
    Hamish15
    Page used the EDS-1275 cos it was easier than changing guitars for the 12 string part either way awesome song....awesome guitar....AWESOME
    GivesYeHell
    AC/DC are a terrific example of that, which is why I love them so much in the studio and when they play live, because it's always the same.
    Ali-b912
    ArcherTheVMan
    yno the funny thing about your last point is even a lot of the best fenders, are machine made (i love epis).
    SDMF_matty
    can somebody please tell me what exactly a jay turnser is? I was thinking about purchasing one from ebay but didn't know if it would be up to scratch...
    UnknownRockStar
    Oh yeah, almost forgot~ If you're looking for a sweet guitar but not a double neck, check out the Epiphone G-400 Custom. It's got 3 humbucking pickups, and is a hell of a guitar. pretty cheap, considering it's an SG copy. it goes for like $500.00
    UnknownRockStar
    Johnny_Rocks wrote: I LOVE THIS GUITAR! I want one so much! and alot of epiphones are handmade just with less good quality material... Where can I get a cheap Gibson version of the EDS-1275? and for the studio recording of stariway to heaven page played a telecaster.
    well a cheaper version of the Gibson EDS-1275 would be the Epiphone G-1275. Looks identical, but it's cheaper. It's like $899.00 at www.musiciansfriend.com You could also go to eBay and get a Jay Turser.Those things go for like $400~$600. At Musician's Friend you can also get an OLP MM612 Double Neck for like $399.99 Hope this helps all of you people out there that want an affordable double neck electric guitar.
    Lil Macker
    Johnny_Rocks wrote: for the studio recording of stariway to heaven page played a telecaster.
    i dunno if you know, but he only used the tele for the solo
    TomRennardson
    Johnny_Rocks: You cant get a cheap version!!!!! Der Bomber:so what he played with the eds-1275 live!!! Awesome guitar, will improve your playing, as well as how much you are in debt!
    Jesse Nouveau
    I've played both this EDS-1275, as well as Epiphone's G-1275 copy. Of course, I'm purchasing the Epiphone because I can't justify paying for the Gibson version. I'm going to use my Les Paul Custom for backup though, just in case.
    SillyShoe
    on the live version Page played one of these but in the classic red and black. and that solo kicks the studio versions ass
    Johnny_Rocks
    GivesYeHell
    mattiwillohouse wrote: Jimmy used a 58' Tele for the solo, and a Fender Electric XII for the rest. the latter is also a 12 string. The live version in New York (check out 'The Song Remains the Same') was all done on the double neck SG, and in my opinion, totally kicks ass on the studio. Then again I always choose live versions over studio as the artist can show how good he is by improvising on what you already know
    I don't really agree with you. I like to be able to listen to someone live and know what they're gonna play rather than them playing something I have no idea about. I mean, you must of liked the song the way it was before, so that meant it was fine as it was. So if you see my point, good.