Epoch LP review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Gibson: Epoch LP

I've been playing guitar loud and proud for damn near 3 years. I play mainly hard rock/metal, basically whatever I want to play I play. I use a Crate GTX-65 amplifier with my guitars. This guitar's sound has yet to impress me. It sounded great after my trip to a luthier (more on that story below).

Something I wish I asked before I bought this? Yeah, does it work? A better one would be should beginners fork out 100 dollars for this? I don't think so unless they want to take it to a specialist first. I love it's looks and it's sound after all the problems were taken care of. However I wish it had an EMG 81/85 combo and a Floyd Rose tremolo. But still, it looks nice just the same and I treat my guitars with respect even if they're cheapos so if this were stolen I'd curbstomp the guy who did it.

I have yet to do a show or record with this guitar, and I sure hope that what the luthier did on the repairs took. Sure it is a cheap guitar but it looks nice, so if it doesn't play then it can be used for a wall decoration or whatever comes to your imagination. Get a better gig bag and a better strap than what came with it.

When I bought the thing, one pickup was set way too high while the other was too low. That was the easiest adjustment I could make to this guitar. I tried tuning it and strings B, G, and D would not tune up. The sounds they made were too twangy. Then when I plugged it in, no sound came out. I even turned the volume all the way up on my amp and this guitar, Nothing. I took it to a luthier and found out that it needed re-soldering and a neck adjustment.

This is a Les Paul style guitar that Gibson made in cooperation with Baldwin for beginners. It has a rosewood fretboard with 22 frets on it, 2 original humbuckers, a tune-o-matic bridge, two knobs (one volume and one tone), and a pickup selector switch that can go to rhythm (pickup close to neck), treble (pickup close to bridge) or you can leave the Switch in the middle and have sound coming from both pickups. It also came with a gig bag, 10 ft. cord, tuner, picks, and an instructional CD.

epochalypse26
    It really bothers me when people say you get what you pay for. It's really not always true. I once had a 1975 Martin D18 and a cheap epiphone 1/10th of the price and I chose the epiphone everytime because it just felt better and sounded good. I also got rid of a usa gibson sg special and bought a no name sg copy which is built just as good (with set-neck) and played better than the real gibson. It's true that you usually get more quality with price but if you have a guitar properly setup then it's going to be ok. I also know there are higher chances of getting a dud when buying cheap things. The biggest problem with this guitar is the limited intonation adjustment but thats fixed easy with a new bridge that adjusts individual saddles. The feedback people are getting is probably from the covered pickups which can also be fixed or you could buy some decent ones. Some new DiMarzio or EMG pickups would give it a killer tone.
    Superguitar
    I got one for free (what it's worth) I seriously hate it. There's just too many bad things about it.
    Skaman5
    KILL EM ALLx666
    Skaman5 wrote: I got this Guitar about a year ago, it sounded just like everyone said it would, but I got some good strings from the music store where I work, some Deans .10s and it sounds beautiful, way better that my Epiphone LP speacial or LP standard, and My Ibanez, and my strat.. it is way more comfortable to play, you just need to know what ur doing to enjoy ANY guitar.. Ive been playing for 4 years
    duznt sound like ur talking about the rite guitar... even if u do know what ur doing a string change cant make that much of a difference...dont get me wrong it can help but it cant completely change how the guitar plays especially one thats this dirt cheap
    gtrsoloistC.V.
    i own one and i replaced the strings tooand fixed the neck and bridge and it sounds better than my jackson.The guitar just needs a little work to be awsome
    Skaman5
    I know exactly what im saying, and yes I know that the strings dont change anything, I play this guitar all the time, although its not my favorite its my most demendable. You need to use the right amp and pedals, crappy gear = crappy sound, but like we say at work, theres a guitar for everyone and if this aint urs, dont knock it, just pick up another
    vinomfire
    i got this guitar recently from a guy on craigslist for $60. it had everything mentioned above plus a crappy (it really is) amp. it requires a little work, but for me thats a plus compared to a friend's strat copy, it sounds great. it is a great guitar for the price and, if you want an even better project guitar.
    shlik
    I bought this guitar off a friend for 50 after he paid 200 for it. Honestly the bridge is terrible, it cant hold any other tuning besides standard, tapping is practically mute, and the pick ups arent great either. Im looking at a schecter hellraiser to replace this.
    shlik
    To be honest this is a terrible guitar. The pick ups are faulty, tapping is practically mute on this, the bridge is terrible, the tuning doesnt hold, and it cant handle any other tuning besides standard otherwise its ruined. I advise no one to buy this guitar. Im looking at a schecter hellraiser to replace this
    Teh Jake
    played this down my mate's earlier.. it's vile, the action was set way too high, the bridge was piss poor, the nut came off the string when I was prebending it, he's owned the guitar for 3 days and gone through 4 high e strings already. The frets are shoddily made. In general, I wouldnt recommend this for anyone.
    henram36
    I bought this guitar for $80 before I read all these reviews and comments, so I was expecting the worst. When I got the guitar, I surprised firstly about how good it looked for the price: very nice finish, everything worked, it held a tune for at least 2 hours (I've seen worse for the price)and I could get an acceptable sound out of it with my Behringer Vintager amp. I probably wouldn't buy another one, but this one could make a very good base for a project as it looks nice and has a classic LP feel to it. If you see one for less than $80, buy it.
    Philly C
    i traded a chinese made upright double bass for this guitar in mediocre condition and 380 dollars. i didnt know anything about it, i just played it, plugged it in and i loved it. its a cool instrument. i just got it tonight and i dont care that it is cheap (i have a few niiiiice guitars) i like the new tone it gives me. definitely not my first choice in a guitar though.
    Davenir
    This guitar makes good hanging on a wall. The neck has a hollow tube construction making it weak and depending on the weather and the bridge is a piece of crap metal and totaly wrong designed for it`s purpuse and combined wtih the twangy neck it developes a bouwment tension that makes this guitar restless, yuo will only find Its sweet spot as short glimses in between pure agany. The pups are sweet and so is the look but the rest is made of whicked thougts ... stay a way!
    heavyfire13
    I got mine used for $40. I'm liking it so far, but buzz is a huge problem especialy around the twelfth fret on the first string. It's easy to play, but the sound is very whinny and the neck seems to be gaped a little more than it should, but overall it's pretty nice.
    BeavisMan44
    I got one at a discount because there were broken strings and a couple small dents in it. I later found out that the Nuts were screwed up and the wood around the G string nut on the headstock was shaved away a little bit making it impossible to tune properly. Does anyone know where I can find a new neck for it? I've searched but all I find are strat necks.
    BeavisMan44
    I got one at a discount because the hole for the nuts were worn and moved forward more than they should so its impossible to tune properly. Does anyone know where I can get a new neck? I searched the internet and just found strat necks. You email me or just comment.
    Beanchop1
    Dude, I Got My For 35 Bucks, It Wasn't Terrible, But You Get What You Pay For.
    DarkValo666
    You get what you pay for
    kaptink
    You could probably find something better in a pawnshop for the price.
    burning_snowman
    I got this as my first guitar. For me the wiring got all messed up and the sound cut out, only occasionaly working. Also the action was high enough to shoot arrows with, and the truss rod was too weak. Do not buy this guitar.
    Amuro Jay
    for 100 dollars you could get an original epi lp special (dont get the special IIs). for 100 bucks, those were killer
    qotsa1998
    For something from Target, it really isnt too bad. Id consider it a project guitar if i wanted one. Ill probably try to do a refinish on it sometime.
    dale-banez
    kaptink wrote: You could probably find something better in a pawnshop for the price.
    I found a 90's ibanez 360EX in a pawn shop in practically perfect condition with an ORIGINAL FLOYD ROSE for 70 bucks. I know. I crapped my pants too.
    H_ngm_n
    metalmaverick
    I bought this Guitar from a pawn shop for $80 a couple months ago to upgrade from a Fender Starcaster. In my opinion, it sounds a lot better than the old Guitar. Biggest problem has been feedback. I'm going to customize the guitar with some new parts, such as a new bridge and pickups. I would say that beginners should go for something a little better though.
    SL!!!
    DarkValo666 wrote: You get what you pay for Sure? I was shocked when I read the pickup thing and so on. I bought my first guitar for about 140 $, and this one was a whole beginner set, not just the guitar. And it still sonds and plays great, so if this LP wasn't an accident, it's definetaly not worth 100 $. Well, this at least is my opiniom
    You still usually will get a better guitar for more money, because of the quality and price of the components and the engineering it takes to make the high notes in tune very acurately and stay in tune.
    SL!!!
    H_ngm_n wrote: As far as pawnshops go, I found a 12 year old Marshall head for 50 dollars, the guy thought it was broken, replaced the tubes and the bitch SINGS!!!!! How is that for a steal!?!
    That's so true. JCM 800s, originals, on ebay are really cheap, and usually all you have to do is replace the heads, i don't know why you'd ever sell that amp!
    Radicall
    what can you expect from a 100 dollar guitar? Though this shouldn't happen..you would atleast expect a guitar that gets in tune, and gives you some sound when you plug it in.
    bitter.sweet
    man. this guitar sounds like MY guitar.. and i found my guitar for free in the trash can. my guitar's neck was almost completely snapped, but i actually repaired it and got it to play somewhat ok.
    luketalon
    well..when i buy this guitar....it really really have a bad playabilities...but my LP has an pickguard,is that same for this LP?
    I am punk "BF"
    the guitar is worth the money because the price is good. I saw it for $80 and I almost bought it.
    dude1on1gibson
    i bought this guitar in june it never left me down with price but there's to much feedback. this guitar is reconmended by me for beginers that like punk rock our light music