Epoch LP review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Gibson: Epoch LP

Purchased from: Big Lots

I currently do not have an amp, but I ran it through my friends Fender Super Champ amp and the sound blew me away. For $75, it gives you a rich, warm tone on the rhythm setting. he has a Gibson SG and he said it sounded great great, for the price of course. There was a little bit of buzzing, but when you started playing it went away. When I switched it to Treble, there was a lot of distortion, even on the clean channel. It is perfect for what I play, a bit of Metallica, and even the Outlaws sounded close on this guitar. It suitsmy style, but that's only because I don't have one. I am just a beginner, but I've toyed with Fenders and Gibsons so I know stuff about what it is supposed to be like. Full sound, again for the price, and not as bad as some other guitars out there.

If it was lost or stolen I'd kill the guy Who stole it then go buy an Epiphone or something. I hate the treble feature, there is WAY too much distortion, although this is an advantage whenever I play Master of Puppets, but that's about it. My favorite thing about it is the way it looks. If it doesn't sound good, you could use it as wall decoration. I wish it came with an amp. This is my first guitar, other than my 5 guitar hero controllers. It plays whatever I want because I don't have an amp. But overall it is a good buy.

This has withstood Live playing when my friend and I played Iron Man at our School Battle of the Bands. We used the theater's amps though, so they were set up already. We ended up winning $100 but the judges complained that there was too much feedback when I wasn't playing, and during open notes there was a lot of buzzing. Again though, you get what you pay for.

Out of the box, the finish was flawless. The action needed a little bit of adjusting, but with the wrap-around tail piece this was fixed in seconds. Perfect for playing out of the box, you just need to tune it.

Made in 2005, in China. First off, this guitar is very, very good looking. If the hardware doesn't impress you, the looks will. It has the Gibson Standard for 22 frets, and the back of the neck is finished like the body. It has two knobs, one tone and one volume. A 3-way Treble/Rhythm selector Switch. The finish is a very glossy black, with a cream stripe around the front. It has a rosewood fingerboard and a maple neck. It has two "classic" humbuckers that mimick the real '57 Gibson humbuckers. It has a wrap around tailpiece that is like that of earlier Les Pauls. Overall a very heavy, solid, and good-looking guitar. It includes gig bag, tuner, 10 ft. cord, picks, replacement strings, and an instructional DVD.

PCharles61
    For the $70 I paid for my Gibson Epoch Les Paul-style guitar, I would say this is a great beginner/entry-level instrument. Prove your commitment and potential on this, and then move up to the $600/$700 price range. But defintely have the action lowered, gently smooth down the frets with some light sandpaper, and replace the tuning pegs. Hey, it's like a poor man's Les Paul with training wheels!
    TiltedJukeBox
    I bought the Epoch for $20. For my son to learn on with his acoustic Oscar Schmidt Dreadnought style ,Spalted Maple Top, Mahogany sides and back, High gloss finish Rosewood fingerboard & bridge this guitar is beautiful. Now the Gibson Baldwin I change the tunning knobs , light strings, pickup covers and knobs along with the removel of 20 or more stickers that have become somewhat permanent. The Gibson Epoch looks and sounds great. It's a bit heavy , but it's a dinasaur meant for the abuse of the young ones! I have to say this is well made considering . The guitars out of China these days are crap and not worth the slave labor and lead paint. However I give this Black Magic Sledge hammer a 7 for the test of time and a 8 for the sound it's putting out very clear with a super tone. Adjusting the pickups a bit does it !! Jam on
    Gristlepig
    The reviews on this site should be moderated. This is almost useless information.