ES-137 Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: ES-137 Classic

Price paid: C$ 1900

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

I play a lot of ska/punk and rock and this guitar does it all and sound amazing doing it. I've been running it through a Traynor DynaGain 60, usually with the high gain boost on, and it sounds awesome. There is a lot of low end in this guitar but the highs and mids still come through sounding amazing. On the clean or bright settings it sounds absolutely beautiful as well.

This guitar is a perfect match for the style of music I play, sounds absolutely amazing for the upbeat ska/punk I play, but still has the balls to play some hard rock. Overall I can't really say anything bad about this guitar, it is my pride and joy. If it was ever stolen I would definitely buy another one after I got out of jail for murdering the person who stole it.

This guitar would have no problems performing live. The hardware seems to be very solid and reliable, the strap buttons have not moved at all, I've owned the guitar for 4 years now and I haven't needed to tighten them. The only problems I've had with finish is a small amount of veneer cracking, which is bound to happen as I live in Canada and in a basement that is always cold.

The action on this guitar is a little high, but I believe that is just how the person who owned it before me set it up, as I bought it used. But it's not high enough that I care to change it, I've gotten used to it, and nobody else who has played it has complained. The guitar contained no flaws when I got it, and the only flaws it has now are a couple small cosmetic marks due from being played a lot.

- Made in 2004, in the US - Semi-Hollow body - Cherry Sunburst finish on Flamed Maple - Gold Hardware - Tune-O-Matic Bridge and stopbar - 22 Fret scale neck w/ Rosewood fretboard - 2 Volume and 2 Tone control nobs, and three-way selector - Gibson 490 R and 498 T pickups