ES-335 Reissue review by Gibson

Gibson: ES-335 Reissue

Purchased from: Guitar Village

I am into blues, classic rocks and punk well sometimes metal as well. This guitar does have a killer tone, compare to the LP, it's softer, smoother, lots of bottom ends but also shimming high. Acoustically, this is very loud and encouraging. Go through the AC 30 clean with a bit reverb, just sound superb. Not as crunchy as the LP but more articulating and definition. Excellent for blues or even jazz. The pickups are not particular powerful but Vintage is never about power, that's metal, I have other guitar to cover that. Put it into the top boost + normal (mixed) in the AC 30, be ready to blast away, the tone, again not as aggressive as a Les Paul but the harmonic is very excellent, and still have a lot of attacks. The sustain is even longer than the LP, about the same as the EMG active fake (-ish) long sustain, but this is more natural, decay slowly and nicely. Roll back the vol and tone a bit, great blue lead (with the Tone in AC 30 roll up as well) really really fat sound, but not muddy at all, sound way better than a LP in this section. Pity don't have a Marshall tube, tried it with my friend's JCM 800 it sounds classic (both LP and 335) classic rock n roll you know what I mean. The only problem with the sound is, as many of you can guess, feedback, this is a little in my case as well, the general pros of semi solid. but experience will tell you where to stand to avoid this!

This is a fantastic guitar, versitle and looks cool. Not playing for long but I have had a few guitars in and out (Fender Tele, Gibson LP Studio, Custom, Epi Xplora). This is a close call with the LP Custom, they both sound extreme organic and loaded with feels. But if I will buy this again? No, this is too bloody expensive, more expensive than 345, LP Supreme and Custom. I have had it once and I rather trying other model (PRS Custom, 355 or Rickenbecker) if anything bad happened to this (hopefully not). Will put in a tracking device just in case it got stolen (joking obviously). But will definitely have my eyes on it!

I can depend on this baby for sure, its solid like LP. But there are a little concern about the Strap button, it's quite small so I say I will get a strap lock for it, just in case you know. Beside, I have heard that the head of the guitar is really dedicated, well I suppose I am not going to smash it, it will be a bit insane to do that. So I give it a 10 (come on strap button, who cares).

The action is abit higher than what I used to (I am fans of extrmem low action). But this feels different, I am quite comfortable with the hight, which is weird. The finish, this is not normal Gibson, this is from real custom shop. So it doesn't suffer from the recent poor quality. Nitro finish is nice and every bit is solid.

This is the ultimate reissue of the origin ES-335 that save Gibson's ass back in '50s and '60s (Dot and Block Reissue). Semi-solid design, with maple top, bottom and central block, 22 frets rosewood borad with block inlay. Unlike the 335 now, the Reissue is 1/2" narrower. My is Vintage sunburst with a sweet Bigsby tremolo. Stunning looking. Helped by the Gibson Delux machine head to keep the guitar in tune. Cream binding top, bottom and on the fretboard for Vintage feel. Compare to my Les Paul Custom, this is way lighter (or just the LP is too bloody heavy), but it feels natural to hold and the balance is nice. It does come with a case, but the colour is (brown outside and pink inside).

YYZX
    stradivari310 wrote: artcores are nice too
    yeah, too bad this is a review for an es-335, take your ibanez elseware please
    tristan_deity
    bluesman89
    stradivari310 wrote: artcores are nice too
    clawhammer13
    Theres a reason this model has been considered one of the greatest guitars in the world for six decades, it's truly a beautiful instrument.
    SG69
    i didnt know what life was until i got my custom shop 335
    Cannibal Koala
    Considering that happened in 2008, don't count on it.
    kennedys1
    shoule79
    Cannibal Koala wrote: kennedys1 wrote: tristan_deity wrote on 10/07/2008 - 10:50 pm / quote | bluesman89 wrote: stradivari310 wrote: artcores are nice too artcores are cheap imitations of beautiful instruments...ibanez will never match gibson for quality of sound, build or looks! I beg to differ. But yeah Artcores suck but still Ibanez make the smoothest, fastest fret board in the world, so pay some respect god dam it! Fight fight fight fight! Considering that happened in 2008, don't count on it.
    Lol on the long time coming fight. Not really an Ibanez fan for anything made past 85, but in the late 70's early 80's they were making Gibson-like instruments that were as good or in some cases better than Gibson. Destroyers, Icemans, Rock nRoll Juniors, all really solid guitars.
    lefthandman9876
    SOADriff wrote: isnt that the guitar the kings of leon guitarist uses?
    thejazzman
    I used this and a gibson hollow body at a jazz concer (both were borrowed) this sounded great through my marshall, even for smooth jazz like Pat Metheny etc.
    Skynyrdman1958
    I have my dad's original 335 and I was playing this reissue in the store while it looks great and has a appropriate price tag the action on the neck seemed clumsy almost like they changed the neck at the last minute before it made it to the store. The guitars look exactly the same it's just my original seems better and easier to play.
    ECwomantoneman
    captain faggot wrote: say i dont have $1700 but i still want a 335. would i be better off with maybe a dot or possibly a sheraton if i could get the money? or are those just shitholes?
    They're both really good, not as good as a ES335, but nothing is really Just try out the Epi you're gonna buy before you buy it, so you can judge the build and sound quality.
    captain faggot
    Lil Macker
    lefthandman9876 wrote: SOADriff wrote: isnt that the guitar the kings of leon guitarist uses? caleb uses an es330, the earlier model matthew plays an eppiphone elitest sheraton
    I thought he used a normal Sheraton II? Anyways, anyone who says a Gibson is overpriced needs to play one of these, you're not paying for the logo, you're paying for that feel you don't get on any other guitar. And this is coming from a Strat lover.