ES-345 Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: ES-345 Classic

I mostly play blues, but also some jazz and classic rock. This guitar is absolutely perfect for blues, and very nice for playing jazz too. But you can play a nice bit of rock on this baby as well. With the Vari-tone Switch turned of, this guitar has a really nice full rich and deep sound, but the further you set the Switch the brighter and the more funky the sound gets. I played it with a lot of amps, I personally use a Mesa Boogie, but on all the amps this guitar sounded great. You can get a very nice distortion out of the guitar as well.

This guitar is perfect for blues, but you can get a great lot of styles out of it. I have been playing for about 10 years now, and this is the best buy I ever made. If this guitar was ever stolen from me, I would certainly buy it again, no doubt in my mind about that.

I bought the guitar from a shop, and there they had set it up perfectly. So I don't know if it came like this from the factory. But the action is very sweet, this neck beats all my solid body guitars in speed. The guitar didn't have any flaws. The pickups were adjusted perfectly. I know that this is case sensitive, but I can say that mine came to me in perfect state, with no flaws whatsoever.

Some things never change. The demand for the ES-345 is still there. Features include Vari-tone electronics, double-parallelogram inlay, Maple/Poplar body, gold plated hardware and more.

- Back and sides: Maple/poplar/maple Laminate
- Binding: multi-ply top, single-ply back
- Bridge/tremolo: Tune-O-Matic
- Scale: 24 3/4"
- Top wood: maple/poplar/maple laminate
- Pickups: two '57 Classic humbuckers
- Hardware: gold plated
- Knobs: black tophat with gold insert and nickel pointers
- Inlays: pearloid split parallelogram on fretboard, holly inlay on headstock.

Chuck Berry
    How exactly does the Varitone switch thing work on this thing? Not that I have it or anything, just curious, that's all.
    It cuts off some frequencies...each position cuts off different frequencies...position 1 is bypasscheers
    N7Crazy
    The future is now. Instead of giant screen-phones, we've got smartphones (and Skype) Instead of Jaws XVI, we got Star Wars VII Instead of instant pizza's, we've got internet to find any pizza joint in the world and order Instead of flying cars, we've got normal cars because people still drive like shit. Also, gravity is still an ass. Instead of self-cleaning/fitting clothes, we've got... I dunno, snuggies? Instead of hoverboards, we've got nothing of the like since we have all the entertainment we'll ever need due to reasons above, and therefore don't need to leave our houses to enjoy ourselves. However, while lawyers still exist, at least Chuck Berry is still alive, which means he has lived through the entire plotline of all three movies. Now if y'all excuse me, I feel like doing a play-through of Johnny B. Good.
    Chuck Berry
    By turning the Varitone to higher numbers, one cuts out more and more of the low end frequencies. Position # 1 of the Varitone is a simple bypass that does not effect the sound of the guitar. However, the higher you turn the Varitone, the more specific fundamental low frequencies are effected. Position # 2 is reported to have been B.B. Kings favorite when he played an ES-345. Position # 3 and # 4 can make the ES-345 sound somewhat like a guitar with single coil pickups. Position # 5 and Position # 6 are a bit thin to my ear for playing most leads or for soloing. However, these positions are good for laying down overdubs or backing tracks because they can cut through the mix without muddying up or conflicting with the other tracks. The following are the frequencies that are effected by use of the Varitone on the ES-345: Position # 1: Bypass, no effect. Position # 2: -8.5dB at 1875 Hz. Position # 3: -12dB at 1090 Hz. Position # 4: -15dB at 650 Hz. Position # 5: -16dB at 350 Hz. Position # 6: -20db at 130 Hz.
    Aceroxx02
    Thing is, this guitar was not available until 1958, and the scene takes place in 1955. Way to go props department.
    -Matu-
    ECwomantoneman
    -Matu-
    How does the Varitone switch work on this thing? Not that I have it or anything, just curious.
    ECwomantoneman
    Irenic Retral
    Very nice looking. I have a Casino, I'm picking up a Gibson 336 or maybe B. B. King's sig'.