Explorer '76 review by Gibson

Gibson: Explorer '76

Price paid: € 850

Purchased from: An Italian online shop

The Explorer suits my style perfectly. I play hard rock and metal (mainly power metal) and this guitar is perfect. Very rich, powerful and full sound, no noise at all, pinch harmonics are easy to do and feedbacks comes only when you want. I use it on a Roland Cube 60 and it sounds good on all settings, even on the clean channel. Some people say that the Explorer pickups have a bad clean sound, but it's not true. I actually like it a lot. You can play everything with this guitar. I'd give 10, but I don't like so much the sound of the neck pickup. The bridge one is amazing though, I'll never change it.

I play mainly metal (Edguy, Avantasia, Sentenced, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall) and a bit of hard rock. I have been playing for 3 years and I have a Jackson RR3 plus two cheap guitars I never use. The Jackson is good, but not good as the Explorer. I'd definitely buy it again if stolen or lost. It's a perfect guitar, except for the neck pickup and the very last frets that are hard to reach, but they are not a problem for me: I always use the bridge one and I'm a rhythm player and don't need the 22th fret.

This guitar is rock solid, including the strap buttons, and will lasts for years. The hardware is very well made, it's Gibson afterall. I have a Jackson RR3 too but I'd definitely play live with the Explorer without the Jackson as backup. I'm looking forward to start a band and I'm sure the Explorer will be my main guitar for years, even if I become famous.

The guitar was setup perfectly. The action was a bit high, but still comfortable. The strings were a lot better than I expected, and very easy to bend. One of the pickups was moving a little, but it's an easy thing to fix. Other than this, all stuffs were setup properly: looks like a luthier did his best before shipping.

The Gibson Explorer '76 was made in 1976 (of course!) in the US. It has the famous shape used by many rock and metal guitarists (Jackson used that shape for their Kelly models too). Here there are the features: Body: Mahogany Neck/Profile: Mahogany/Rounded Fingerboard/Inlay: Rosewood/Dot Scale/Nut Width: 243/4"/111/16" Bridge: Tune-o-matic Hardware: chrome Pickups: 496R and 500T, both humbucker Controls: two volume, one tone, three-way Switch Strings: Brite Wires .009-.042 It also came with a very good hard case. The features are amazing, the only thing I don't like is the fact that the highest frets (from 19 to 22) are hard to reach.

CrusaderTrivium
    !-twisty-!
    your review says you bought it from
    An Italian online shop
    ...theres not that many streets full of music shops online
    subshadow
    rofl that made me laugh: "The Gibson Explorer '76 was made in 1976 (of course!)" for 850
    Makoos
    JH's eet fuk guitar was the first ESP he used. Watch the for whom the bell tolls video and check the headstock. Clearly says "GIBSON"
    olpaj
    James replaced the stock pickups in his Gibson with EMGs...
    nickdude
    well, this entire thing is a wealth of misinformation, het recorded mop with EETFUK, a white ESP Explorer, which is shitload better than a gibson. and even before this, all tallica guys used EMG pickups, so zero similarity in sound. fail to whoever said 96 was mop, n00b, that was load. twould be ideal if most people would know their facts before saying stupid shit. alright review for a beginner though dude
    Poglia
    !-twisty-! wrote: your review says you bought it from An Italian online shop ...theres not that many streets full of music shops online
    I have bought it ONLINE from a music shop. That shop have a physical location too, and it's located in a street full of other music stores.
    jannick wrote: Not a good review. Not all too bad either. But lots of grammer misspells.
    English is not my first language, and it seems I know grammar better than you. By the way, serial number is 000690373.
    thomson125
    Okay, to make the Hetfield stuff clear... On MoP he used a 1984 Gibson Explorer and his Flying v copy. On ...Justice he started to use ESP and his 84 Gibby Explorer. His ESPs where three different MX220. One was EET FUK, another was the white Moore Beer-guitar and then there was a black 220. During the recording of The Black Album he started to use ESP MX-250. Study up! http://www.montyjay.com/jamesguitars.htm...
    Poglia
    Vitooch
    maaan people need to know there metallica a little more haha yea novandrie ur right
    Herrjames
    I own a 2005 US '76 reissue and it's an absolutely perfect guitar for hard rock. I play mostly Megadeth style metal using the bridge, but I can also pull of Marty Friedman leads with it using the neck pickup. I also use it for some sweet low gain blues. The action is a little higher than I'd like it to be, but I got used to it and I can play quite smoothly on it. Heat'll make it go out of tune quickly, but nothing bad. Overall this is an excellent guitar. 9.5/10
    Herz
    its not made in 76, only the body-shape is from 1976. an original 76 explorer is much more expensive than this one...
    privatejones
    I've owned a 1976 Gibson Explorer since 1976. It was my first guitar I bought with my own hard earned money. The serial number begins with 00. All 76 Explorers begin with that followed by 6 more #'s. Explorers built in 77 begin with 06. My beloved Explorer is all original except for an added TP6 gibson fine tuner, and a Bill Lawrence pickup in the Bridge position. I plan on replacing that asap.
    tristan_deity
    MOP was made in 1996 AJFA was made in 1988 so JH could of been using a gibson.
    Novandrie
    tristan_deity wrote: tristan_deity wrote: CrusaderTrivium wrote: .LukkaJovicVp wrote: Master of puppets which in my opinion has the best rythm guitar sound, was recorded with this guitar ! No, Master of puppets was not made with a gibson my boy. Metallica used ESP guitars, since and Justice for all, if not earlier. ESP at the time would copy any guitar you liked and stick whatever you wanted on, and Metallica used EMGs MOP was made in 1996 AJFA was made in 1988 so JH could of been using a gibson.
    atually dude, MOP was made BEFORE AJFA,while MOP was made around '86, AJFA was made around '89 if i'm not mistaken
    Makoos
    This is 1985 and James Hetfield is playing a white GIBSON explorer!
    EpiExplorer
    N00b guitarist, obviously. More money than sense it seems? but, the guitar is amazing, o' course.
    JakoSnako
    The Jackson is good, but not good as the Explorer.
    these two guitars are made for COMPLETELY different styles, they really are on two different levels
    !-twisty-! wrote: Poglia wrote: I have paid it 850 (around $1200) because the shop where I bought it it's on a road full of music shops (there are like 50) and therefore the prices are incredibly low. your review says you bought it from An Italian online shop ...theres not that many streets full of music shops online
    +1 awesome
    SeanX3187
    maybe a serial number will settle this? but i have to agree with all who said that it is not from 1976. and also, when using a number like 22, the proper ending is nd. not th. ie 22nd. just thought i'd mention that. other than that, the review seems to be pretty good.
    DealeR
    I saw this guitar with a broken headstrock in a store yesterday Some kid thought it would be cool to throw it through the pub after his gig.... what a moron... seems like a lovely guitar
    jannick
    Moron? Dude it's just rock'n'roll. Not a good review. Not all too bad either. But lots of grammer misspells.
    tristan_deity
    Tyler Durden
    leftinflinflon
    The reviewer said he only had 3 years playing experience, so cut a lttle slack here, the shitty thing about this guitar is its uncomfortable to play sitting down, but if you want to stand to practise for a couple hours a day...knock yourself out.
    EyeHatePunks
    Look at the first number of your serial code on the back of the headstock, it indicates the decade the guitar was built in; if it starts with a 7 then it's from the 70's...
    espplayer400
    Tyler Durden wrote: CrusaderTrivium wrote: .LukkaJovicVp wrote: Master of puppets which in my opinion has the best rythm guitar sound, was recorded with this guitar ! No, Master of puppets was not made with a gibson my boy. Metallica used ESP guitars, since and Justice for all, if not earlier. ESP at the time would copy any guitar you liked and stick whatever you wanted on, and Metallica used EMGs you better check your facts before trying to call someone out "boy"....JH used a Gibby Explorer on MOP
    no.... he actually did use an ESP, they look identical, but take a closer look at the headstock, they all say ESP. hence the JH sig explorer that came out in the very early 90s i think..
    SeanX3187
    from what i understand, hetfield only uses ESP guitars live and even that's not very often. most of the time he plays them for more public events instead of random concerts.
    LukkaJovicVp