Explorer Gothic review by Gibson

Gibson: Explorer Gothic

Purchased from: Near Heathrow Airport

If your playing metal or hard rock this guitar is for you. I use a Peavy Rage 158 Practice amp with this guitar. And a Korg AX1500G effects pedal. This config works well with this guitar. Very loud as in powerful. No sound from pickups when plugged in. No buzzing, very well built. Heavy Sound but not as good with clean sounds unless you have an effects pedal or it just couldbe my amplifier its not a professional amp. Very powerful screams and when tunned to drop C very heavy sound. Excellent for Metallica. Loveing the fact it sounds so heavy and evil. Don't like that the clean sounds arent as good.

I play mainly Metal Music with this guitar and this guitar is well suited to it. I have been playing 6 years nearly. I own a Squier Fat Stratocaster Custom and Korg AX1500G, Danelectro Milkshake Chorus Pedal, Peavey Rage 158 Amplification. Not much more I would have asked but I think I would have tried out the ESP version of the Explorer before buying due to the price being cheaper. If this guitar was stolen I would be lost without it. I love this guitar it has style and great sound. I would have to get another one but they are limited editions and are no longer being made. I love 9/10 things of it. the 1/10 I hate about the guitar is the clean sounds arent as good as i expected from a Gibson. My favourite Feature on the guitar is the heavy sustain it has. Great guitar for metallica fans! I wish it had a diamond plate as a scratch plate instead of the shiney black one. Thats all though. Only that this guitar kicks serious ass!

Yes this guitar will withstand live playing. I've gigged with it a few times and it sounds great everytime. The hardware will definantly last. DUe to it being black it not only looks cool but is very rugged. The finish is good to look at but I think I would look after it all the time and never neglect it because I wouldn't trust it to be that thick on the body. ALthough it looks nice I don't think it is that strong. The strap buttons arent all that really and you would need to put strap locks on because the guitar can just fall off the straps easily when standing up. Yes I would. On a previous gig I did have a backup guitar just incase strings broke but I knew that the guitar was reliable enough. ANd for the money that it was it should be reliable.

Very good, I had to do nothing to it. The pickups were just right great sound from both of them. Only thing that was bad I thought from the Explorer was the finish. I didn't realise that the finish has to be treated correctly to avoid the finish from being damaged. The finish has to be cleaned everytime you play. Good thing is Gibson inlcude a little leaflet to let you know that the finish needs to be looked after.

- Made in USA. - 22 FRETS - 2 volume controls 1 tone, 3 way pickup selector - Twin humbuckers - 496R ceramic magnet humbucker - 500T ceramic magnet humbucker - Passive electronics - Mahogany neck - Ebony fingerboard

Mul
    Becaus there are people who play only one style, idiot
    pantallica95
    i got mine about a year ago and the clean is amazing, the dirty is amazing, and the balls to the wall distorted is a deity on its own.
    EpiExplorer
    warrenguitar wrote: Explorer, probably my favourite Gibson shape, wouldn't mind it at all! Anyone know if there is an explorer shape with 23 or 24 frets?
    You can try the Epiphone Legacy series, it has the Futura which has 24 frets and EMGs, might not like the shape though.
    bagmanbac
    I wrote the review that gave the overall score of 7.4 and just wanted to say that I meant to put a 9 under impression rather than a 5, I must've forgotten to hit that dropdown box prior to submitting. Just wanted to clarify. The guitar definitely deserves higher than a 7.4.
    pantallica95
    not gibson. maybe an ESP copy from the 80's might, or you could get something close, like a kelly. even the shred-x's only have 22, which is retarded. i think gibson is trying to stay "classic" by only having 22 frets, even though there are absolutely no disadvantages to having more frets.
    warrenguitar
    pantallica95
    HELLSHREDD wrote: & no i think the ESP kelly that sleepwalker says looks better is totally wrong , hold both guitars up next to each other & see whick 1 looks better , the explorer looks way more mean & vintage
    kellys are jacksons.
    HELLSHREDD
    HC-Deathroll
    pics? dude, one word: Gothic. how can you even expect any clean tone? i've only seen the epi version of this and it seemed kinda lame, much like the les paul one. but still looks pretty sick with the matte black finish..i likey just cuz of that.
    HELLSHREDD
    Ive just purchased a 2007 gibson explorer gothic with EMG's , only 400 made & when i first played this it was like fricken sick .If ya like metal this is the guitar for you .For me its like the sound couldnt be better , im running a line6 spidervalve with fbv shortboard & i can seem to get any sound i like , from clean to as sick as i want , the drive on my setup is fricken nuts & i just love it .The matte blackout looks wicked the tone on this axe is wild & i personally think that no other guitar can come close to this beast other than my other guitar (Jackson RR24), so again if ya like metal get an explorer or jackson & get ready 2 shoot for the stars.....
    JHKH
    'GOTHIC' thats why it is designed for one type of music
    rickybrant
    man thats not all cool...i have a 58' korina explorer and its way better than the gothic
    Skunk_Whisperer
    I bought this guitar used. The neck is kind of crappy, and the pickups aren't very hot. ESP Vipers kick the shit out of this guitar.