Explorer Gothic review by Gibson

Gibson: Explorer Gothic

Purchased from: Private seller

I play several styles of music including Jazz, Metal, Progressive Metal, Progressive Rock, Country (kinda), but mostly Progressive in general. This guitar is well suited for most of those styles (except Country). The neck is fast for fast playing and i have had 3 different gages strings in 4 different tunings and have only adjusted the neck once (when I put 10-56 on it and tuned to C# std). I play it through a Line 6 Vetta II and if you know anything about the Vetta you know it is well suited for ALL styles. When I bought it the neck pickup didn't work so i put a Seymour Duncan Jazz Bridge and Neck Pickup set in it. It was amazing but I wanted more gain. I got a Crunchlab for the Bridge and a Liquifire for the neck (I am not the biggest Petrucci fan but I had played on a JP6 and could only imagine those pickups on a big slab of solid mahogany). It turned out to be the best pickup choice I could have made. It is definitely a Metal or Heavy Rock guitar but with the coil-tap on the neck it works well for Jazz/Metal fusion. All in All pretty much a one trick pony but I love how well it does the trick.

I have been playing for 13 years. I am a gear-head and a "professional" musician... I know my sh-t. If this guitar were stolen I would hunt it down and beat the hell out of whoever stole it. I love the shape. I love the tone of solid pieces of mahogany.

I have played the shit out of this guitar and not had any problem or even broken a string. I changed the hardware for cosmetic reasons (chrome looks awesome on it) but I had no issues with the original hardware. When I got it it already had Schaller straplocks. I relied on it for the first 3 gigs I played with my last band with no backup. The satin finish will eventually wear off to the way that I play. I have no intention of selling it ever so I can't wait till the finish shows my playing habits.

When I got the guitar there were no strings on it.I strung it and set it up myself and have had no problem with it since. As I said the neck pickup did not work so I went through a Seymour Duncan Jazz set and ended up with a Crunchlab and Liquifire set that is amazing.

- Made in America in 2001. - 22 frets Thin neck. - Mahogany body (at least two pices but probably three judging by the size) - Mahogany neck with an ebony board. - Satin black finish. - Tune-O-Matic bridge. - Passive Humbuckers. - One volume one tone one coil-tap switch (I rewired it myself) - Two Humbuckers (Crunchlab Bridge Liquifire Neck) - Locking Sperzel tuners. - Original Hardshell Case.