Faded V review by Gibson

Gibson: Faded V

Purchased from: N/A

This guitar is great for what I play which is rock and blues. I am using this through a Marshall TSL122 100 watt combo without effects as I play mostly rythmn. This guitar has a good range which varies from very hot rock using the 500T at the bridge to nice warm mellow bluesy tones using the 496R at the neck.

I play rock and blues so this is a great match. I also own an Epiphone Explorer with Korina finish this is another nice guitar but have recently added Gibson 500T and 496R to this guitar as this is a great combination of pick ups. I think the V is a great guitar I chose it for price (but I should have bought it from the USA even with import duty I still could have saved money), secondly for the sound the pick ups are fantastic, there is nothing I don't like about it, also it is very light compared to my Explorer so it is comfortable to use over long periods. If it were stolen I would buy another (I may even trade my Explorer and get another V anyway). If you want a cool looking Gibson for a great price you wont go far wrong to buy this guitar.

This guitar will withstand playing live, the combination of this with my amp is awesome. The hardware seems fine only time will tell. Strap buttons are solid but add sraploks. I would depend on this guitar but would never gig without a backup. The finish is good and it looks cool faded but already it is starting to Shine where it rubs and where my hand rests but that is not an issue. But, as this has no laquer take extra care as this will not take any knocks I already have a few small dings on it.

The guitar was set up nicely but I have had it set up by a tech which has made a bigger improvement. Pickups were adjusted ok but again more tweaking has made it better. The only flaw I could find was on the bottom of the fretboard where some stain was missing but other than that it was fine.

This guitar was made in 2004 in USA it is stock (refer to Gibson site for spec) apart from adding pick up surrounds as it looked a little cheap the way the pick ups come through the scratchplate, this has improved the look a lot. I may change the tuners at a later date. Gig bag (replaced with hardshell case) good accessory pack, strap, excellent quality lead, polish, cleaning cloth, stringwinder and picks.