Faded V review by Gibson

Gibson: Faded V

Purchased from: Music 123

Haven't come accross a style of music this guitar can't cope very well with. I play lots of classic and progressive rock with some metal. The pickups can be tweaked to deliver huge drives or very clean tones according to your style. I use a Peavy Rage Practise amp, usually through a Boss distortion pedal but have used it in others as well and it sounds great. Pickups can be noisy when selecting the bridge pickup on clean tone but I'm sure that's as much down to the amp as the guitar.

When I began playing guitar a few years ago, I always dreamed of being able to own a Gibson Flying V but was worried about the high price, and wasn't prepared to settle for an imitation or a Korean made Epiphone V. When I found this guitar I was understandably very exited and bought it very quickly. I'd read some pretty average reviews but had played cheaper Epiphone models and was more than happy with sound and construction of them. Compared to Epiphone Vs, this has much better pick ups and a much nicer finish, also has the added bonus of haveing Gibson on the amazing headstock, however it isn't as respected as other models mainly as it is from the faded series and after the musicmaker, is the second cheapest Gibson. Don't buy one if you only intend to practise on it as playing sitting down can be very awkward, however if you want great sound and presence on stage, on a budget, than I've played no better guitar.

This guitar has withstood some live outings, which is a relief as it is kind of the whole point of it! Hardware seems solid as do the strap buttons, however I wasn't too impressed with the positioning of the neck strap button as I found it resticted access to the upper frets when a strap was fitted. I have been able to depend on it for almost a year now and it should hopefully last a good deal longer yet. Finish seems good enough to last, not that it's important with this finish.

Only tested factory action briefly as I prefer to send all my guitars for set up very soon after buying them, but can't remember experiencing any major problems with it. I was suprise with how low the action was allowed to go before fret buzz came into play, it makes the neck a lot faster. Neck is really fat which is great for improved sustain and chords. Found access to higher frets a little resticting compared to a thru-neck but no more so than any other set necks I have played. As for fit and finish, I've heard some real horror stories, as with all Gibson's these days, which made me think very carefully about parting with my money, but when it arrived the fit and finish were pretty flawless, watch out for dodgy fret work. finish is really nice and can't think why it's so much cheaper than some of the other finishes this guitar is available in. Control knobs are a little cheap and I found they can sometimes come off without much persuasion.

Made at Gibson's Factory in Tennesse, this guitar features a fat 22 fret mahogany neck set into a mahogany body. Has faded satin finish which looks great and makes it look more expensive than it actually is. Grain of wood shows through really nicely which was much different to pictures I had seen on the internet. Comes with a fixed Tune-O-Matic Bridge which I found great for re-stringing, and cleaning up. Has 2 volume controls (1 for each Humbucker) and a tone conrol. On previous guitars I have found volume controls can sometimes create fuzz but none of that here, tuners are Gibson Green Key which are really solid and hold their tuning well enough for me.