Firebird Studio review by Gibson

Gibson: Firebird Studio

Purchased from: Music123.com

This guitar does not appear to be noisy. It has a very rich sound, pleasently clean sound - punchy and full. It also has alot to do with the way you play guitar. The bridge and neck pickups sound very good but quite different. They aren't too different in their tonal characteristics though, they're suited for each other very well. The larger humbuckers suit this guitar better than traditional mini humbuckers. It doesn't get shrill but has a nice thick balanced tone. The guitar has a good variety of sounds for a 3 toggle.

This is a rocking guitar and it has a very good sound. This is a great starter for the Bird fans with further Switch to Firebird V or Firebird VII. Its cost is very attractive to anyone looking for a Gibson guitar on a budget.

This guitar is built well and feels solid. Both hardware and finish seems to last a lifetime or more. The strap buttons are solid. This guitar will hold to any live playing situations unless you use it for a surfboard or something. You could gig with this guitar without a backup, but it's not a very good freak.

It was set up pretty good from the factory. Two piece body joined beautifully right down the middle. The guitar looks really cool. It seems when it was put together, there was a lot of care involved. The pickups are set at a good height, they are not too close to the strings but still get a great pickup.

The Firebird Studio combines the "reverse-body" style of the original series with Gibson's traditional set-neck design. Full-size humbucking pickups and optional gold- or chrome-plated hardware enhance the Studio's unique place in the Firebird family. It also has the but with a conventional set neck, mini-Grover tuners on the side of the headstock, a tapered body, and the traditional Gibson dual-humbucker sound. The solidbody Firebird guitars were originally developed in 1963, and the original reverse-body Firebird has been in regular production since 1990. Gibson USA has not offered any fundamental changes to the body in the last 30 years, and the Firebird Studio maintains a fresh look and feel. - Body: mahogany - Bridge/tremolo: Tune-O-Matic - Controls Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch - Fingerboard: rosewood - Frets: 22 - Inlays: pearloid dot - Machine heads: mini-Grovers - Neck joint: 19th fret - Neck material: mahogany - Nut width: 1.68" - Pickups: 490R & 498T Alnico magnet humbuckers - Knobs: black Top Hat with insert - Tailpiece: stopbar - Hardware: chrome or gold.

lightningjoe88
    feathers632 wrote: pantallica89 wrote: A guitar is just as much about it looks and sounds. And this may sound good But IT IS THE UGLIEST BODY EVER MADE FOR GUITAR. Someone from hawthorne heights plays it that makes it ten times worse. Agree. It's like your great grandpa went out to his tool shed and made the ugliest guitar ever. Firstly I really hate fingerboards. Secondly I really hate white fingerboards. Thirdly the body shape is about as ugly as ugly can get. I'd rather have a dean flying V and I think those are ugly! The guitar is lop-sided and has no symmetry.
    ... You hate fingerboards? ...Especially white ones? Are you talking about the pickguard?
    millynell14
    Newo2
    I fell in love with this guitar the first time I eer saw one, and one day i hope that i will be lucky enough to own one.
    luke-bassist
    amazing guitar. i want this exact same studio version. my friend says that studio guitars hav a crappy sound and that the wood is pap as well. Is he just talking a load of trash?
    j-boy199
    From ZZ Top to AC/DC to The Spice Girls this guitar does it all.
    Haha it must be an awesome guitar then.
    liam2309
    lightningjoe88
    I bought mine Christmas eve and gave it to myself for Christmas. It's black with gold hardware and it rocks! It's my main guitar.
    stratomaster123
    I disagree. I played one of these at my local music shop and it just felt plain awkward and sounded quite average.
    soysaucedstrat
    i love this guitar. if it was my guitar (belongs to my dad) i would play it for hours and never get bored with it. although the strap buttons seem kinda small to me and playing it sitting down is a bit of a drag. its also pretty light compared to my strat so i wish i had my own :/
    itchyblackmore
    millynell14 wrote: this may be a hard question but can anyone describe the feel of these or compare it to sumthin?
    Yours is a good question that is seldom asked. I mucked around with one of these babies recently at a local music store and the impression of "feel" comes from comparisons to my old fast neck Kramer, and American 2008 Strat(a lovely guitar I might add). I can sum it up in one word; comfort! Though the neck is not small, it felt easy and natural. I was stunned actually. I played it sitting down only - no probs there, and the sound was spot on of course. Very clever these Americans. I hope this helps.
    blenk
    liam2309 wrote: dave grohl plays one in the pretender vid.....I PITTY THE FOO WHO DOESN'T LOVE IT!!!!! lol
    agreed. im getting the epiphone firebird studio as gibson seem to have droped this one and well the price differance
    the_trubz
    Listen I do realize that this a more softer kind of music guitar; however before I started playing guitar, I played bass. That's when I fell in love in with the thunderbird (bass version of the firebird). I play mostly harder rock and metal and some of the bands I play include Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold. Since I love the firebird shape, I was wondering if this would sound nice with some emg 81, 85's installed?
    frbrdman
    I have this guitar and holy crap it sounds so frikin awesome. im going to be honest with u the only guitar i have ever played and like more was a fender custom shop strat that cost 2800 dollars. this only cost me 1000. BUY ITTT!!!
    rebel rocker
    RetroGunslinger wrote: why do so many people play thousand pound gibsons through line 6 spiders, biggest waste of time ever
    The kid said later on that he didn't even own the thing, he only played it in a shop, and even admitted to dropping it. How the hell do you drop a $1000+ guitar sitting around testing it in a shop??? Clearly not someone who should be writing a review. The real sad part is its been up since 2006 and no one from UG has taken it down, it shouldn't have even gone up in the first place.
    ethansj1
    mp3stalin wrote: pantallica89 wrote: A guitar is just as much about it looks and sounds. And this may sound good But IT IS THE UGLIEST BODY EVER MADE FOR GUITAR. Someone from hawthorne heights plays it that makes it ten times worse. A. i think it looks awesome B. so does Dave Grohl... even if you hate foo fighters you agree dave has talent
    negative
    Philly080
    ethansj1
    Philly080 wrote: "Awesome assembly, I couldn't find one flaw about it". ..so why did you give the section a 9? o_O
    10's done exist stop trolling. this guitar is perfect. a true studio quality instrument.
    feathers632
    bass wizard
    It looks like crap!! the epiphone les paul custom is way better looking but as for sound i dont know as i have nver herd this guitar before!!
    zadzior
    Justice_Fish wrote: pantallica89 wrote: A guitar is just as much about it looks and sounds. And this may sound good But IT IS THE UGLIEST BODY EVER MADE FOR GUITAR. Someone from hawthorne heights plays it that makes it ten times worse. Hey, fat bitch!! We don't need your stupid comments.
    Right! This guitar is beautifull! Ant it's sound kicks ass! Im gonna buy one in July! Cant wait!
    Shread_6009
    who cares if someone that suked plays this guitar? if someone from a real shitty band like good charlotte or fallout boy used a les paul or sg, would everyone stop playing them? no u fat bastard!!
    Ali-b912
    non reverse are the old ones from when they first made them for anyone who doesnt know. they got sued by fender for resembling the jazzmaster i believe and then they "reversed" the body to become this style of firebird (sometimes known as the reverse body).
    Justice_Fish
    Hey, fat bitch!! We don't need your stupid comments.
    skinar
    looks are just a bonus. adn this is a beutifual and amazinging guitar but i would prefer the VII for the three humbuckers and trem. who ever says this guitar is shit cuz its ugly is a poop. this is probably my favourite gibson. i play blues and funk and it can be amazing with a big muff pi.
    mysteryguitar
    I LOVE THIS GUITAR!! seriously though, you know anything with the name studio in it is practically the best!!
    hoobariffer87
    For a couple hundred more, you can get the neck-through, triple mini-humbucker model with the cute banjo tuners. Unless you're after the full size humbuckers, I don't see the point
    tanner.
    The other one was nicer, and this one doesnt have the three lil humbuckers, so it doesnt sound as good. this guitar was made for people who record, so people hear it and dont have to look at.
    yongman
    this guitar looks soo sweet! but i never got an opportunity to even touch it. Dave Grohl is currently using it for the IYH tour. i want one...
    Johnny Blade
    [quote]pantallica89 wrote: A guitar is just as much about it looks and sounds. And this may sound good But IT IS THE UGLIEST BODY EVER MADE FOR GUITAR. Someone from hawthorne heights plays it that makes it ten times worse. I agree with this
    Supadude
    This guitar in white is more beautiful than any woman on earth...doh!
    Cpt.Jackass
    A guitar is for playing music, not looking good. Simple. SRV's guitar was ****ing knackered and beaten, but nobody cared because he could play the damn thing well. I can't wait until i get one, looking forward to it.
    Lightning Bolt
    I love that'll be my next guitar as it's has Nice pick- ups, Nice Tuning pegs as there on the head of the guitar and not attached to a Gadget so now with them being like that, they won't break as easily. Just check June 2007 guitar world magazine issue, it's got the info.
    kfong03
    lol i don't reli like this one..explorer and flying v certainly better
    mp3stalin
    CreamedExplorer
    I've never played the Studio but I have played the tri-pup one. It's a pretty sweet guitar but I think it's pretty awkward to play sitting down.
    Handparty
    Anyone who thinks this is an ugly axe has no design or aesthetic sensibility... this is a truly subtle and unique shape, very unpretentious and cool indeed. With full rockin Gibson sound, without the somewhat image/mystique pumped-up price of the Standard
    Ali-b912
    how is this ugly? i always think of hendrix playing one of these for some reason. i know he didnt but thats what always comes to mind.
    pantallica89
    A guitar is just as much about it looks and sounds. And this may sound good But IT IS THE UGLIEST BODY EVER MADE FOR GUITAR . Someone from hawthorne heights plays it that makes it ten times worse.