Firebird V review by Gibson

• Reviewer's score: 4.2 Poor
Gibson: Firebird V

Purchased from: online store not saying which

for some reason it developed a bad buzz on low e and a strings after changing the already worn strings.. sent back to the shop to have it setup at no extra cost.... came back from setup and it still buzzed!! got told the buzz sound would not come through the amps and that firebirds, cos they are such a big long guitar are prone to a little buzz.... Erm no thank you.

GUTTED!!! Guitar of my dreams turned into a nightmare!! Blown away by its fantastic looks. Sent away due to horrid buzz!! Fair play to the store which i purchased from.. they were very helpful and have done a good deal on a replacement Gibson ES137 Classic.... but i think there was definately something a miss with this particular bird.

Dont know... owned the guitar for 4 weeks where 3 and a half of them it was away being sorted out..... but im sure it was built to last, i thought the banjo tuners felt a bit loose and not very high quality, but all other fittings seemed ok. 3 way selector was loose too, needed tightening up a bit.

finish looked great apart from small blemish in the varnish on head stock, possibly from being hung up in shop. when delivered the strings had lost some of the coating from where it would seem it had been played a few times already... where the strings attached to the tuning pegs looked really sloppy... i would like to think it never came out of nashville like that! I very much doubt this was the original setup from new.

2009 Firebird V All the usual, through neck, banjo style tuners, mahogany wings Fantastic looker in Vintage sunburst Thing that shocked me was the fact that it is sooo big, quite heavy and the jumbo frets looked like a railway track!!! Very nice white fluffy hard case. But what an awsome looking guitar!

bebe17
    mallen i am
    CapnKickass wrote: rhcpfan118 wrote: the ant farm flying v is a reference to Metalocalypse... i'm surprised no one has caught that. it's a joke, it doesn't really exist. ...yet
    I'll be needing 1000 and an ant hill !
    Harrisfun
    This is one of the top instruments in my collection, the only thing topping it would be a Transparent Gibson Flying V with an ant farm inside it. METALACOLYPSE!!!!!
    feanarosurion
    I'm assuming this guy was saying that some "famous local Finnish guitarist took great care of it." Either way though, great review, it's good to see somebody not going the fanboy rout.
    BlisteringDDj
    Vitooch wrote: i think these guitars are one of the ugliest damn things ever. but they probly sound like sex
    I think they're hot! It reeeeeks rock!
    toasticles
    nice swiskgar reference at the end, but personally i dont like the firebirds, i say if your going to get a gibson like that just get a firebird, i own a custom tele and a LP prophecy ex, i think that sometimes they kinda let the firebird slip through the cracks
    asfastasdark
    Good review. And Firebirds are quite teh sex. And an Antfarm Firebird is what I'm going to build. Oh and Firebirds do indeed have neck-through construction, which is why they have the raised middle section.
    onemessyguitari
    cobracarg wrote: les pauls might be owned by a lot of people and many les paul haters will say they are over rated but they are a wonderful guitars...
    Totally agree to that. People say I'M overrated because I play Les Paul, and they don't know a thing about guitars,so...right. -_-'
    shortypop123
    bebe17 wrote: les pauls might be owned by a lot of people and many les paul haters will say they are over rated but they are a wonderful guitars... Les Pauls really are great guitars. But so arr Strats and Teles. Why can't people like both of them? I own a Les Paul and a Strat and I love them both.
    I agree. I have a Telecaster and it sounds GREAT! I like both of them. I'm planning on either getting a Gibson SG or a Firebird. I can't decide. Other news....the review was very helpful.
    bluesbitch
    ibanez_freq_777 wrote: Firebirds don't have neck-thru construction. Pretty much all Gibsons have set-necks except for the cheaper ones, which are bolted on. Get it right dude.
    try learning about something before you make a stupid comment like that. yes they are neck thru. the wings are glued on
    Footallica?
    r0ckth3d34n wrote: I'm just gonna put it out there, but if anyone wants to, they can make a hollowed out acrylic guitar shaped like a V. Fill it with sand and put ants in it... There you go. But I'm sure they'd probably die from the vibrations and br00t4lz volume. Great review, and ibanez_freq, no. most Gibsons are set neck. Other ones are neck-thru like some SG's, V's and Firebirds. Epiphone necks are bolted on. Get it right dude.
    I've never seen an SG with a neck-thru. Sounds interesting. But most Epi necks aren't bolted on. Only on some models. They're mostly set neck.
    Vitooch
    Vabolo
    Finally, a Gibson review not made by a Gibson worshipper, nor a Fender crusader on his way to slay the reputation of an instrument and/or the company, armed with nothing more than their adamance and fanboy-ish arguments. I tip my hat to you, my good sir! Although the antfarm V part took me off guard. I want one now! XD
    Gibsonbender
    Not a huge fan of the mini-humbuckers. I used to own a '99 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (traded it in for a fender) and it had 2 mini-humbuckers. They're great pickups, but you're screwed if you want to put something else in that slot unless it's a P-90
    allfooie
    this i must see..wanna post it on my profile or put it on ur page so i can take a look lol
    rhcpfan118
    Zanary
    I've been wanting one of those forever. I've been really happy with my 'Pauls and my modded G&L, but I've really enjoyed every Firebird I've played.
    cobracarg
    GIBSONroks6167
    actually firebirds DO have neck through construction. how bout you get it right dude?
    CapnKickass
    ...yet
    livewire76
    I think the guitar is ok - the review is spot on there, vote wise - but mini-humbuckers? I don't like them. Perhaps because of the style of music i play. Im sure they have their place but i just read an article with Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy) and he didn't exactly praise the LP Deluxe he had with mini's he used. So if you play rock/metal beware.
    stratomaster123
    wow one of the best reviews I have read witnessed on this site. Most I have attempted to read lately were illegible for the most part.
    cal1
    Haha, Skwiskgaar's guitar. The Swiss Army one looked cool though, if it was real
    ibanez_freq_777
    r0ckth3d34n
    diamondking117
    The firebird is an awesome guitar. The body is really nice, and is comfortable when you play it.