Flying V review by Gibson

Gibson: Flying V

This Guitar packs an excellent punch to many worlds of music. Whether it be blues, rock, punk, metal. Anything. I use this wonderful Guitar with a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab. As goes for any other effects, I have 4 Effects Pedals: (All "Boss") Metal Zone, Flanger, Turbo Distortion, and a Wah-Pedal. The only time I am givin feedback is just when I use my Turbo Distortion pedal. But certainly all of the other sounding is great.

As I said above blues, rock, punk, and metal are all the varietys I play. Including sub-genres between those main ones. If this guitar were stolen, I would go find the prick who did so and beat his ass raw and get my guitar back. It would be worth the time. And if were broken? Not thinking of happening soon unless dropped off of a 20 Story Building. Anybody out there looking for a new reliable, excellent guitar? Pull out the Piggy Bank and go buy this baby.

The Gibson V-Factor is built like a tank. I am in a band myself and is used plenty on times live, I am so sure that it wont have any problems, I dont bring a spare, and I havent needed to yet, or maybe never will need to. Strap buttons are sealed down like a vault door.

This Guitar itself is flaw-less factory wise. Pickups are in perfect place, knobs are not loose, and with some locking tuners, this guitar is surely not to come out of tune. My V-Factor is a White on White finish (Colorwise). Thats the coolest looking pair of colors, 80's style.

- 22 frets - Mahogany neck - Rosewood fingerboard - Chrome plating/hardware - Tune-o-matic bridge - 496R ceramic magnet humbucker on the neck - 500T ceramic magnet humbucker on the bridge - Two tone, one volume knob - 3-way voice Switch

Zamboni
    drenteri
    Not really just stick the bottom fin inbetween your legs and play away but seriouly why would you sit down unless your leg is broken...
    Striketalonx
    you play it classical style, it actually improves your form, and becomes very comfortable if you get used to it. i even play my Jackson Soloist like that now
    zeppelin5005
    my cousin has this guitar and it is such an unreal guitar. i just wish i could afford it.
    iamtheguitarpro
    im buying this in like a week... i can already see myself with a leather vest on, like, on my knees, playing a mad solo.
    Hammett5
    Ya you play the Flying V in between your legs it improves your form tremendously and helps alot when playing faster songs.. It's more of a guitar to play standing up anyways.. but it is an excellent guitar.. I love mine! =D
    Lord_Doku
    Both the Flying V and the SG are awesome. What you people forget is that guitars are just means to make music. Its all about the music mmmmmaaaaannnnn *gets high*
    Damaged Roses
    yes this this is a pain to play and sit down it slides down and then your thy is resting on the fret board, i put the bottom between my thys when sitting or put the strap so high to it wont rest on your thys.
    Thats why you have to put a wing of the guitar between your legs, like Michael Amott did whit his ESP Ninja, lol
    AaROn!
    Zamboni m : I've heard it's a bitch to play sitting down, does anyone have any comments on this? i have one and there not to bad once you get used to it but they are totally awesome!!!!!
    mr. blobby
    alexilaihocob wrote: g-unitie wrote: flying v Good Job! Flying v! you can read
    you asswipe, he was correcting his previous comment:
    g-unitie wrote: definatly the sg.....i almost had the flying but im an idiot
    please read stuff properly before you take the piss like that
    HELLSHREDD
    Sg is made for ladies ya fools , les paul made it for his wife to be lighter & easier for her to play , & 2 me they look fricken ugly & retarded like angus young that goon,,,,,lmao
    Way Cool JR.
    Forgot to add they also had a string thru body instead of the stop tail like this one. The 58 also has a different shape/profile at the body where the neck joins, making it have better fret access pretty much like an SG. So I guess the 58 and 68 are quite different all together now that I think about it.
    T00DEEPBLUE
    Way Cool JR.
    Robbin Crosby of RATT used 58 Flying V's not 68's. They had a different pick guard and a different control layout. Cool guitar tho. Yesterday was Robbin's 10th year anniversary of his passing away of a heroin overdose. R.I.P King Crosby you are greatly missed! RATT & ROLL!
    Gortorek
    Zamboni wrote: I've heard it's a bitch to play sitting down, does anyone have any comments on this?
    It's totally impossibe to play sitting down. Just get used to playing it the classical way if you have to sit down with it.
    Zosochild wrote: What would be good pick ups to replace the current pick ups in a Flying V?
    I suppose that depends on what you play and what grade of V you've got. The one that I bought came with a pair of Gibson 500T's, which even as passive pickups manage to keep up the EMG 81/85 set on my main guitar. Personally, I wouldn't change the 500T's for anything else.
    Zosochild
    What would be good pick ups to replace the current pick ups in a Flying V?
    Explorer939
    This is better or a Jackson Phil Demmel King V ?
    This, definitely. Appearance-wise and playability-wise
    Metallon
    Alwaysa gibson before an epiphone. Always. And IMO the Explorer only looks sexy in white. Natural Korina or some other wooded/faded wooded color woks too, but a black explorer doesn't look right in my eyes. I'm personally contemplating if I should buy this, or the Gibson Faded Flying V, or the Epiphone Flying V. The Epi is much cheaper, and I suppose I dig the gold hardware. But that gold hardware is gonna wear out (fast?) and if it breaks strings easily and go out of tune, a Gibby would be the way to go.
    CptRevell
    I have a Jackson RR, which is a similar design. Playing classical style sitting down is pretty easy. I can see it being hard if you try to hold the guitar sideways like one would normally do. I recall one Epiphone V I played, it had a strip so you could play it sideways without slipping, anyone else seen one of these?
    duzit89
    my rhythm guitarist has this in white.. sounds great. it isn't that bad playing sitting down tho.. i dont think anyway.
    willwelsh816
    I only got this because Albert King made it famous, and no one has mentioned him in the reviews yet
    BurnzyRock
    this guitar and the explorer are hard to play sitting down, because you have to stick your arm up
    Way Cool JR.
    T00DEEPBLUE wrote: Carlos Cavaso who used to be in Quiet Riot uses 68 V's a lot. He's in RATT these days.
    Forgot about Carvaso (Quiet Riot rocks!)I guess when I think RATT I see Robbin and Warren. But yeah Carvaso uses the 68.
    iup788
    Polish guy wrote: It's hard to play on this guitar in sittin' position..
    Not if you're doing it right. Put one of the ends of the V between your legs.
    Dominish
    i reckon the sg beats the v with looks but overall performance is way better!
    A-G-guitarist
    It's one of those guitars that spring into mind even when you mention the word 'guitar'. It takes alot of popularity to do that. For example, if you say "BC Rich Warlock" to any random person that hasn't got any concept of guitars, they'd have no clue what you're going on about. But "Gibson Flying V" would mean something to them. The man who designed this guitar and put it into production is a genius. Anyone like to say something to that?
    powerhalf
    *sorry for the double post* I just remembered, there's a video floating around somewhere of Kirk Hammet showing how to play some Metallica riffs. Aside from some soloing he does in the beginning of the video, he's sitting on a stool with a V. You might want to watch how he does it.
    powerhalf
    I play my old V with the bottom half of the lower "arm" of the body between my legs and kind of hooked in by my right calf. This is similar to how classical players play. The only real disadvantage to this is that it makes it even harder than the normal "casual" position to play in a chair that has arms - you kind of have to sit on the edge of the seat and turn youself away from the left arm.
    Hammett5
    pickingking wrote: Whats better an SG or a Flying V?
    Flying V all the way.. SG's suck
    Rivers
    Any of you seen Jimi's flying V at gibson's custom shop? Now that is a kickass guitar!
    Hammett5
    The Hellion wrote: SG is in my opinion better than V, but they're actually pretty similiar with same pickups. I have a Flying V, nice guitar, but needs some changes to be made... When it comes to neck, I prefer Fenders small neck and bolt on necks generally. Humbuckers are okay (and expensive, so if you don't like them, sell them and buy SD or DiMarzio or something), but not very versatile. I mean, neck pickup is very muddy (IMO) and quite weak, bridge pickup is vicious. But it doesn't give you the same versatility as HSS-setting. And yeah, it's pretty hard to play because of it's shape, but it's still a good guitar. I'll have Kahler to be installed to my V and then it's perfect.
    I hate the look of SG's and I just dont like them.. If someone handed me an SG for free I'd sell it in a heartbeat. I just put a 100 $ deposit on a gibson flying v. I can't wait for it eheh . Flying v's kick ass
    The Hellion
    vanhalen4life
    i own a V with the white one white and i love the look of it and its overall performance is awesome
    separanets
    I own an SG Standard, but I was told the Flying V beat the SG at all positions, so I think wether to buy the Flying V or just stay with my SG which is still Ok.