Flying V review by Gibson

Gibson: Flying V

Purchased from: Lauzon Music

I play a wide variety of music, but I generally play funk, blues, classic rock, progressive rock, heavy metal and progressive metal. I feel that the V fits my style of music. It is versatile enough to play softer, cleaner funk and blues, but sound just as good with Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Rush or Led Zeppelin. I use a Roland JC-120 and a Marshall MG with Boss and Dunlop pedals. Compared to my Les Paul, the guitar is brighter than my Les Paul, but still has a nice full tone with the neck pickup.

As I stated earlier, this guitar is musically compatible with me. I have used Gibson products in the past, and I am still satisfied with their craftsmanship. Had I tried it out more before I bought it, I would have asked about the action and the fret buzz to see if I could get this improved before I bought it. If stolen, I would buy it again if I was limited to the amount I paid for it, but if I had more, I might go with a Thunderbird or another Les Paul, or possibly a PRS. I love its easy playability, its tone, its feel, and how it looks so damn good. I'm not terribly pleased with the action, and having the toggle Switch at the tone knobs is a problem if you need to Switch quickly. My favorite feature is it's appearance, and the presence that it has. Whilst shopping for it, I was choosing between this and an Explorer. I picked the Flying V just because the Explorer was too difficult to play standing up. I find the V very easy to play sitting down, as long as you rest the "crotch" of the guitar on your right thigh, or off to the side. I wish that the guitar had a tremolo like the Jimi Hendrix signature Flying V, but alas, I shall make do.

I am certain that this guitar would be fine Live and touring. The case is durable, and the guitar is built solid. I am somewhat concerned about the tuners though, since the guitar has as difficult time staying in tune. I need to retune every 2 or 3 songs. I would never do a gig without a backup as a matter of course, but put into that situation, I would rely on this guitar. I have not really had the guitar long enough to see how the finish will turn out, but judging by how well my Les Paul has held up in the time I have had it, I think I will be fine.

On the whole, I did not have to make many adjustments to the instrument when I brought it home. The action is good, but I did get some fret buzz. The neck, pickups, bridge were all fine, and I did not see any major problems. The low action was irritating though.