Flying V review by Gibson

Gibson: Flying V

Well, I play mostly prog/death metal so this guitar is a good instrument of destruction. I would prefer better pickups but the 500T on the bridge does well, I play through a 6505+ head, so the pickups are ok but I will get some SDs later. It has a tight puncy sound, it is a rock/metal guitar and not a bad one.

Metal and rock are well suited for this axe. The tight punchy sound is perfect for metal, the light weight is nice for playing long sets with no fatigue. I would buy another if the wife would let me, I compared this to a Jackson RR24 and the Gibson was better for me, plus it is made in the USA and was less expensive and lighter than the Jackson.

As I mentioned, this is my third Gibson and they have proven to be good reliable instruments, the tune o-matic bridges are rock solid, but the Gibson deluxe tuners need a little improvement as they tend to loose their tune with heavy bending but not bad. The finish is layered very well and should last many years with proper care.

Factory set up? Well there is a problem, I do not know who set it up but the intonation was crap, the bridge p/u was set so high it was rubbing on the strings if hit too hard. The frets are good no ugly spots on them, just the usual dirty fingers all over the guitar from siting on the show room. No flaws, this is my third Gibson in 2 years and I am very happy with the quality.

All mahogany necktrough, 22 nickel/slver frets on a rosewood fretboard. I got the black with white pickguard to match my Explorer. 2 Gibson humbuckers, 496R and 500T with 2 volume, 1 tone and 3 position selector switch. Tune o-matic bridge and Gibson deluxe tuners. Of course, it came with a hardshell case, ah the new smell.