Flying V review by Gibson

Gibson: Flying V

I purchased my 2006 Gibson Flying V just before Christmas 2016. I am not sure if it is a faded V or not but I do know it kicks serious ass! It has a Rosewood Fretboard with 23 jumbo frets, Grover vintage green tuning keys, 496R and 500T Humbuckers, beautiful worn cherry finish, tune-o-matic bridge, 3 way toggle, 2 volume, and 1 tone knob. I did not come with pickup rings but I added cream ones to make it look even more kickass. Now I know this isn't the most expensive made Gibson V, but it is still a mean, firebreathing metal machine!

For what I play, which is METAL (just metal, that's it) it has a beautiful rich, and nicely rounded sound. You can get that deep dark yet lush dark sound if you would like, distorted or heavy. Or it is perfect for a classic rock guitar as well. It can get a feedback heavy but I'm playing through a B52 AT 100 triple rec, and this thing has a HUGE amount of sick saturated gain and heavy lows, so yeah that is to be expected. There is no hum at all out of the humbuckers, however If you are using a high gain amp as well, a decimator works just great. I use the noise gate on my POD.

The action was perfect from the get go, I bought it used but it was setup very well. I made some very minor intonation adjustments but that was all. Normally these guitars come with a gig bag, mine came with a Epi hardshell case, which I highly recommend especially if your gonna gig it out The only thing that kinda sucks is that I get a little after ringing from the strings above the nut, it isn't much but if your going to record, it has to be silenced! So I am still looking for a way to remedy that besides taking some duct tape across the strings which just looks awful lol.

I have had no problems at all out of this guitar, it is always hot and ready to jam. I replaced the original buttons with Dunlop strap locks. It seems an awesomely sturdy guitar, I don't ever worry about something not working. I know a lot of folks don't like the shape because you can't sit down, but I always just put the V between my leg and rock out. I just love it! I would never gig without another guitar in backup if I didn't have too because you never know if your gonna break a string, or a strap lock can break and so on, but if you can only afford that one guitar, this is it baby!

So in closing if you are doing heavy heavy music then it is just what you need, it is very affordable, and IT'S A GIBSON! This guitar is very versatile in my opinion. From metal to classic rock, it just works. If your looking for a affordable guitar that you can always depend on, and has awesome action and sound, here ya go. I would rate it a 9 out of 10 overall, but that is just me, I have always loved and trusted Gibson guitars. Thanks for reading and remember, "Put it on, turn it up, and kick its ass!"