L6-S review by Gibson

Gibson: L6-S

You can get w.e sound you desire out of it. it's a bit bassier than a les paul and I like that. IT has a bright sound, but like I said you can change everything about it's sound. It fit's my jazz, blues, folk, grunge, rock styles and everything else. It can play deep bass, or biting tones and everything in between. It sounds amazing clean and great with dist. I haven't tried heavy distortion and I don't personally care and I haven't tried over Drive yet which I definatly need to do. The overdrive will probably sound great.

This is a great guitar for anything. If it were lost or stolen I'd f--king run after hte mother f--ker who took it and beat the shit out of him. I love how there's only about so many, and how old it is and how great it looks and plays and feels. I love it's features and I love how much I love it compared to lespauls and Sgs or any other Gibson model. it's selector is definately it's defining feature and it's sound.

This guitar is light and feels almost like a SG but has the look of a les paul. It is dependable except hte straps buttons are kinda small. I haven't tried a strap on it yet. Since it's almost 40 years old now and it's been played for ever, I'm gonna say this is good to last. The frets are worn down to hell worse than I've ever seen though and I can tell they've been replaced 1-3 times before and I'm going to replace them again.

It's action is low, but it can be changed like a les paul or a SG. Nothings wrong with it. it's 30 going on 40 years old and hardly anythings wrong with it at all. it's just natural wood finish though with a black pick guard, but it would just look like a SG if it was any other color.

Features are great. Unlike any other guitar it has a selector. Not sure exactly what it does, but it does change the sound. It has a volume knob and a mid range knob, cuase I'm pretty sure it's not a tone knob. Other than that it's similar to a lespaul. Mine might have mafia humbuckers, but w.e they are the selector changes the sound of the neck pick up not sure about the bridge one since it has no sound change.

londonsteve
    a mate of mine has one of these,that switch is a phase switcher,just like on my fender lead.Also i think it was made in the early 70s as it has the same bridge as my old SG which i bought in 1973.
    JayLacelle
    Outlaw131294 wrote: I love the gibson les paul, I reckon they are the world's best guitar
    might be your fave that doesn't make it the "worlds best guitar". the only genres its really good for is pop and rock.
    livewire76
    Josola wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_L6-S it explains all that this review deosn't
    LOL, thanks. I've given up on reviews on UG. I've just finished reading a few and they either have 10/10 for everything and are "the best" or the reviews are written by people with zero playing experience including calling a guitar with 2 humbuckers a guitar with 4(?!) pickups (LMAO) or worse write outright lies.
    paul.cruz.98837
    es genial esta guitarra suena mejor que muchas que he probado el sonido es limpio y reluciente si ven una no duden en comprarla, no se como llego a mis manos saludos desde tula mexico
    Catdaddywow
    I grew up in Humboldt County and when I was just a mere 17 years old a friend of mine handed me one of these L6-5. At the time I was skeptical because I had a Les Paul Custom and an SG. I couldn't play the L6-5 like I could my Paul or SG ;however, that's only because it was not my guitar. My bud whaled on it like a wand that is destined for a specific wizard. This guitar called to him. Now a million and 17 years later I would love to find one of these guitars-not a reissue though as Gibson took too many liberties modifying the reissues so that they are not even the same guitar. BOOOOO! Keep it real. I heard the new one is chambered if that could even be possible. The guitar was a perfect hybrid between a Les Paul and a SG. No improvement was necessary.