Les Paul Axcess Standard review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Axcess Standard

Purchased from: The music station

I play for the most part various rock types(metal, heavy rock). And this really does suit them down to the ground. The sound is very pure and unadulterated. I play through a few different amps(depending on what gig I'm playing or practise). I play through 100 watt Mesa Boogie mark 5 head into a mustaine signature 4X12 cabinet for smaller shows, and a 200 watt Marshall head through Mesa Boogie rectifier stack for a bigger show and at home I use a Fender Twin vibraverb amp. And it sounds lovely, it is a very berstile instrument it is very resonant(due to the tone chambers). At high gain it copes extremely well notes don't mush together, when clean notes are rich and full bodied.

I play through various effects I own about about 40 but I only have about 10 on stage with at a time. The best thing about this guitar is its sound and the versatility of it sound the coil-splitter offers a massive range of tonal options the pickups are very good and offer alot in bass, middle and treble. This les paul was ment to be different and it is but I would have put 24 frets on it instead of a Standard 22. I would definatly reccommend it to every guitar player regardless of their style of play.

I am using using this as my main instrument for my live shows. I play about 6 maybe 7 show a month and so far it has stood to the challenge I also play it at home quite alot. My other instruuments are a Les Paul Studio, a origenal Fender 62 Strat, a 72 reissue tele, a PRS sunburst 22 and a Firebird v. This is the guitar I play the most the locking strap buttons are great, the finish has slightly faded and it looks just lovely.

When I recieved the guitar there were no particular problems, except for the fact the the Floyd Rose was floating of the body abit to much but I fixed that. The pickups were to close to the string for my liking but Gibson made it very easy to lower them. Other than hat it was perfect.

Mine was made 2009, It has 22 frets the it is very fast mahogany neck with rosewood frets. There is a slight contour on the maple capped body. The les paul as always has a very nice sunburst finish. The Floyd Rose is very stable and is great for dive bombs and trill etc. The action is lower than on the Les Paul Standard but ridiculosy low. It features two sets volume and tone controls, and on the bridge tone there is a push pull coil-splitter. The tone controls are well suited to the PAF style burstbuckers, at no point does the sound become wooly. Mine came with a hard case.

jetwash69
    You have to replace those frets every couple of months. Hard to find luthiers qualified to install wooden frets...Ebony frets last longer, I hear.
    rastamon
    livewire76 wrote: The reviewer never mentioned the countoured heel. Its almost non-existant! Strange review as well. Loads of spelling mistakes. I dunno but ive been through a few reviews lately and more than a couple seem suspect. Glaring mistakes like wrong number of frets or leaving out features which makes me wonder if the reviewer actually owns the guitar or just wants one! Anyhoo, nice axe. Good twist on the LP.
    At first I thought that you theory about the reviewer not having this guitar was spot on, but after reading it twice I think we are dealing with a rich 14 year old. He has all of the cliche gear: old tele and strat + prs + firebird + mesa/boogie mark 5 + mustaine cab + rectifier stack. He has all of the bases covered. Any real player who has been playing long enough would most likely develop a taste for a certain combination of gear. I think this is just a kid looking for a place to brag about his over priced gear.
    guusw
    Lil Macker wrote: 200w Marshall head? I can only think of a Marshall Major here, but I think those are really rare :S
    Yeah, I think there are only still a few hundreds of them left. John Frusciante has one.
    livewire76
    Chimpwn
    Beautiful guitar, My eyes still have to adjust to seeing floyd rose on a Les Paul though lol.
    DingoDance
    mmm_watcha_say wrote: It has 22 frets the it is very fast mahogany neck with rosewood frets. Wat
    I laughed SOOO hard hahahahahaha
    bananahammock
    *facepalm* its a floating bridge. the double locking beasty looking ones with tremolo, had u not noticed a trem bar on a lp?
    dementiacaptain
    ive got to say that after playing this guitar it just doesnt feel like its worth all the extra dough to get a floyd.
    Individual1972
    Mad Ell
    lol i never knew they were called floyd roses lol i just called it a whammy bar
    OzPsychoMagnet
    Awesome guitar, I have the same one as in the picture. I swapped out the pickups for a couple of Bill Lawrences L500XL and L500R pickups and it is now the official Gibson From Hell!! Only other thing I would love to do is route out the area just behind the Floyd Rose so I can pull back a bit further. Other than that I love it. Feels like a natural, has wicked action and just makes you want to pick it up and play it!!!
    Symmetre
    Really expensive guitar, but it sounds absolutely wonderful. And yes, Alex Lifeson from Rush has several of these. Gibson recently introduced an Alex Lifeson signature model LP Axcess with some additional features.
    oOJonnyLOo
    LiamPodmore
    oOJonnyLOo wrote: Individual1972 wrote: Anyone happen to know if the Kluson tuners are the locking ones? Individual1972 wrote: Also.. Anyone happen to know if the Tuno O Matic bridge is the same one used on the 2008 standard? *facepalm* ... the guitar has a locking nut, not tuners. This is because it comes with a FLOYD ROSE ... not a tune o matic... read the damn review -.-
    Gibson do 4 Axcess Models Axcess Standard (With Floyd) Axcess Standard (Without Floyd) Alex Lifeson (With Floyd) Alex Lifeson (Without Floyd) The ones without tremolos have the TOM bridge. Liam
    KSE69
    GS LEAD 5 wrote: izzizz wrote: wow, seems like a great guitar. and one thing, whats a Floyd Rose? Its the silver thing with a stick AKA the bridge. If you have never played around with a Floyd, your education is incomplete....
    Yeah its a bridge that is a bitch to restring! it takes a while but its definitely worth it
    Shabalaba
    Floating tremolo, if your a whammy ***** the perk if it has a locking system you won't/ shouldn't lose tuning.
    Footallica?
    I am using using this as my main instrument for my live shows. I'd like to use use it for my live shows too.
    Lil Macker
    Gryphon999
    whahaha :haha: there are a lot of spelling mistakes in here, i think the reviewer didnt take the time for it. Nice guitar nonthelsess, saw someone in a rock band playing it (Led covers etc.).
    juniorlbj
    It's a nice guitar, but the floyd rose in a les paul body is something that my brain can't accept
    GS LEAD 5
    izzizz
    wow, seems like a great guitar. and one thing, whats a Floyd Rose?
    Guitarfailwin
    Oosh. wrote: Does the Rush guiarist use one of these?
    According to an old article on Gibson.com, Alex recently began using them. You can see it on one of their latest DVDs.
    frozen_bollics
    im lookin 4 a nevv guitar and this suits everything i need im just vvaiting 2 see hovv much it in in my coutry
    Pedalist
    I love this guitar! I just wish I could buy one... I think this is the one the guy from Journey has..
    stevecamasso
    This site is for "Kids"! If you want to read better and more professional reviews, go to "Harmony Central"