Les Paul BFG review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul BFG

Price paid: € 1099

Purchased from: Mupo Music (NL)

I mostly play hardcore punk (pennywise, Rise Against, Bad Religion) but sometimes pop-punk (Green Day) and sometimes some Metallica, Antrhax, or classic rock (Led Zeppelin -not stairway to heaven-, Deep Purple -not smoke on the water-, Eric Clapton etc). It suits all those styles, the burstbucker is great for the rawer punk sounds, and with some distortion it's very suitable for the more metal stuff. The P-90 sounds great both distorted and clean. Clean it's great for classic rock, and I've even played some bluessy riffs on it. I needed to lower the P-90 a little, because when I played my high e string on the 12th fret or above, it would touch the P-90, thus ruining the sound. I used the screw driver that came with the guitar, and it didn't take a minute.

I love this guitar, I own a Squier Strat, which I strongly recommend if you've only got 20 cents to spend on a guitar, but otherwise I wouldn't really recommend it. I also own an Ibanez AFS75T Artcore, wich is a hollow body, and I like that for the more bluesy, jazzy stuff. Otherwise I prefer the Les Paul BFG over my other gear. I play it through a Kustom HV100 amp, wich is Marshall-like quality, for an average-joe-affordable price, so the Les Paul sounds great through it. The only flaw in this guitar, is that the kill switch is not 100% silent, but you only notice this if you play the guitar, while killing the sound. In normal use you'll never notice this. There is, of course, one rule that applies to all new-bought guitars: test them at the store before buying! The sound on this les paul is rawer than on other les pauls, so it's a matter of personal taste wheter you are going to like this guitar or not. Also it is well known that Gibson doesn't control guitars like they used to, so make sure you, or your store, checks the guitar before buying it. That said, I love this guitar, and I recommend it to anyone with good taste.

I own this guitar for a week now, even though I bought it new. It looks solid enough, and it doesn't feel flimsy, like other guitars I've played. I have replaced the strapbuttons with proper locking straplocks, but this is my own preference, the strapbuttons that it came with looked solid, and were hard to unscrew. I would defenitely use this guitar without a backup, although I recommend brining new strings. I've never had any issues with the strings on this guitar, but you never know. The Grover tuners stay in tune wonderfully, as I said, I own this guitar for about a week, and I've played it for several hours a day, but only had to retune it today for the first time, and even that was a miminal adjustement. The BFG in the name means Barely Finished Guitar, so the finish was kept down to basics, you can see the wood, the top is unsanded, the controls are made of wood, and it doesn't have a truss rod cover. I love the looks of this guitar, but some people prefer the shiny finish of a Les Paul Studio or standard, that's a matter of taste. The finish that was put on this guitar seems very strong, I have seen no scratches whatsoever, even though I play pretty hard.

As abovementioned, I had to lower the P-90, but everything else was fine. The action is low, as I like it, but not too low, so it doesn't ring at the frets, even when played hard. My local guitar store only puts guitars in the store when they're in top condition, so all the bad guitars get send back, so I don't know how often other Gibsons have flaws, even though I've heard the stories. Still, on a guitar this expensive, I shouldn't have to adjust the pickup heigt myself...

This was made in 2007, I think, in the USA. It has 22 medium frets. Being a Les Paul, it is a solid body, although I think there has been some weight reduction on this guitar. Not as much as on normal Les Pauls though. The body is maple, and the top is mahogany, the neck is mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard. I has a tune-o-matic black bridge, and a stop tail piece, also black. It has a P-90 neck pickup, and a zebra burstbucker bridge pickup. It has 2 volume and one master tone control, as well as a pickup selector, and a kill switch. It has Grover tuners, and it came with a case.