Les Paul Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Classic

Purchased from: Music123

Pretty much everything you'd expect from a Les Paul Classic, except the exposed humbuckers give it the ability to get "hot" much like an SG. I've also found that it's not too noisy, especially on rythym. I use it mostly with my Marshall MG15CDR but it works best with my uncle's Marshall '73 Super Lead and Hiwatt 4*12 combo.

I play a wide variety of music, but my main style is heavy blues rock. For that type of music I can't say I've found a better guitar. The weight has not been an issue for me or any of my friends who have played them. I've been playing for about two years and I also own a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Strat, but my favorite is my Les Paul Classic. If it were lost or stolen I would definately buy another, as soon as I was brought back to conciousness. And as for the previous reviewer, who said that no one will care about Les Pauls in five years...this has been the number one rock and roll guitar since the fifties... how's it feel to be stupid?

I've played this guitar at several different gigs since I've owned it and it has more than met the challenge. I would feel safe playing without a back-up, but I bring my Telecaster anyway because I use it for a few songs. The pick-up selector button is a little flimsy and it has a slight crack in it, but overall it is a highly reliable guitar.

I usually have to adjust the action right out of the box, but that was not the case with this guitar. I did put in strap-locks and as one of the previos reviewers said it did come out crooked at first but after fooling around with it for a while I fixed the problem. Otherwise I have had no problems and the finish of course is typically beautiful.

I got my Les Paul Classic new last October. It is in Honey Burst, a truely beautiful color, and it has a rosewood fretboard. It came with a 496R Humbucker in the neck position and a 500T Humbucker in the bridge position. It has a much more playable neck than the fifties models which are far too thick for your average player. It also came with a case, which is a given for a guitar of this price range.