Les Paul Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Classic

Purchased from: Ebay

I play many different styles of music such as punk, ska, reggae, jazz, metal, modern rock, classic rock, metal, hardcore, metalcore, and etc. and it fits every single style. The pickups are very versatile. I use a Vox AD30VT 30 watt combo and DigiTech 300A. I never get a hiss or hum unless I have my amp pushed to its limits and I'm standing less then a foot away. With different combinations of the pickups you can get a very rich and hot sound with the bridge, an airey sound with both pickups on, and a smooth sound with the neck. I use the bridge for metal, punk, and other genres that use high gain. The bridge could also be used for a british invasion sound. Combined the pickups give you a full sound that works great with modern rock or you could tweak the tone and get Clapton's woman tone. The neck sounds great for jazz and blues, really smooth.

I play basically every genre and this guitar can. I don't think there is a better match for me. I have been playing for 4 years and I would have probably quit if I was stuck with my unplayablely bad squire. If lost or stolen I would buy again. I would consider a Les Paul Custom though. I love the fast neck and hot pickups. This will be my "Lucielle" or "Blackie", I will never get rid of this.

This guitar has withstand its previous owner Who played at bars, my gigs, and school shows. My shows were never rough just me with my guitar playing solos but I imagine it got roudy at the bars for the previous owner. The hardware does seem like it will last except for the knobs are getting loose but they can be replaced for cheap. The straps buttons are solid but you will need a locking strap for shows. I definitely can depend on this guitar and I do not have a backup because this guitar was expensive and it can taken a beating. I would probably think twice about bringing it to a show with aggressive music. The finish has stayed on for 7 years so I have Faith in it for another 7.

When I got the guitar used the action was perfect, not too high or too low. The pickups were also adjusted to perfection. Overall the guitar had no flaws except for being heavy you might need a locking strap. The one tone knob got loose after a year of playing.

The year this guitar was made was 1999. The guitar was manufactured in the USA. The fretboard is made out of rosewood and I'm not sure about the fret size. The scale is 24 3/4". The top is carved maple. The body is made out of Mahogany and so is the neck. The finish is copper natural. The body is similar to the original Les Paul design with the single cutaway. The bridge style is Tune-O-Matic. The electronics are passive. The controls are a 3-way switch with volume and tone for both pickups. The pickup configuration is two open coil humbuckers. The models of the humbuckers are 500T ceramic in the bridge and 496R ceramic in the neck. The tuners are locking and I've changed them to Grover. I bought it used so I'm not sure what came with it originally but it did come with a case.