Les Paul Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Classic

My band plays an Indie-pop-emo-rock style and this thing can do it all! I'm running a Mesa Single Rectifier Solo 50 head through an Orange 2X12" cab and it sounds wonderful. No effects or any of that ish at all! The tone is really sharp and to the point. Not bright like a Fender single coil but a tad bit brighter than most Pauls you'd hear. The hot ceramic humbuckers are louder than your average pups so expect some feedback through a high gain amp! This guitar is really versatile. The sustain is solid (although switching to a Tone Pros bridge would be beneficial in that area! ) and the pickups are really quite versatile. I can get a bluesey, ballsy tone outta my neck but switch to the lead bridge and you have some rocking tone. Not too shrill.

This guitar is perfect for the kind of music I play. I was formerly a Tele guy but a Les Paul Classic really gives me that extra oomph that I need to give us a signature sound! I've played for 2 years now (Bass for 4+! ) and I've owned Fender USA Teles, Highway 1 Teles, 69 Thinline reissues, 72 Tele Deluxe reissues and a Gibson Les Paul Special Faded, and this by far takes the cake! I only want to put a Tone Pros bridge on the guitar to finally take it to the next level! If it were stolen I'd most definately try and get another! I love the finish, the sound, the feel and overall durabillity of this guitar! I shopped long and hard to find my perfect Les Paul (see the countless Epi Elitists (nice), Les Paul Standards, Les Paul Studios, etc that I tried out) and this was the best one I could find! A worthy investment. I can't stress it enough! As a beginning/intermediate player, having a solid guitar goes a long ways in your progression/learning process. Amps are less important in that sense! Having a better guitar has really been a help because it feels better to play, sounds consistently better which is a mental plus and it really just boosts morale! It can't hurt, just watch your wallet!

This thing is a tank, a beautiful tank! I've taken it out on the road on tour with no backup, and I feel fine with that! Unlike a flimsy SG, this Paul is built to last and to rock! The hardware seems great, the pickups superb and the strap buttons sturdy. I use Dunlop strap locks (the cheapy plastic ones! $1.50 each and they are really reliable and they don't require any mods to the axe! I wouldn't go anywhere without em!

My guitar was used, so I can really comment on that! As you should always do when buying a guitar, I took it to my luthier Who setup my guitar with fresh strings, had HIM adjust my tad to sweeten the tone and just give it a good check up. All the wiring was excellent upon inspection, the finish is great (apparently the 1990-93 classics were superior than the newer ones as far as finish goes) and everything worked great! I am planning on putting a Tone Pros bridge on the guitar though so that when changing my strings, my setup wont be affected and the sustain/tone is even more consistent/superior!

My Les Paul Classic is a 1991 model (the second year these were produced) and is a made in Nashville, model in Vintage Sunburst. The axe is just perfect in weight and is mahogany with a bookmatched top. Standard like all the others in features, 496 and 500T hot pickups. Standard Tune-O-Matic bridgesetup, '60s slim neck, 3 position selector, Standard Gibson green key tuners, hardcase included. A quintisential Les Paul. Let's leave it at that!