Les Paul Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Classic

Price paid: $ 1999

I play mostly rock, with a little bit of blues. I'm running this through a Fender FM65, and it sounds amazing! When I tried it through the tube amp at the store, it sounded even better. It sounds as good as it looks on a clean channel. The bridge pickup can sound almost as sharp as a single coil turned all the way up to 10 on tone and volume, but can be made as fat as the neck pickup. The sounds are endless with the tone and volume knobs. It sounds just as good distorted, a really mean growl that has no feedback. The only feedback is coming from my amp naturally. I turned up the volume to 10 the other day and it sounded just as good and crisp that high up.

I play rock and blues like I said before. This guitar can be played with anything, and I stand by that. I've been playing for about 5 years now. I also have this cheap Strat copy, a little Boss practice amp, a Fender FM 65, and a few pedals. I made no mistake in buying this. If it were stolen, I would be so upset you wouldn't believe it. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon is because I wouldn't be able to afford it. I also tried a Standard and a double cut, I liked this one the best for the price and the features. I just wish it had pickup covers.

This guitar will last forever. All of the hardware is amazingly sturdy. My strap buttons aren't stock, the guy replaced them with strap locks before I even take them home, and I recommend you do so if you buy this because this guitar is really heavy and it would be heartbreaking to ruin this finish. This is a Gibson, it will last. Nothing else said.

There are no flaws with this guitar at all. The action is perfect, I've never played a guitar with it better. It's just high enough not to hit the frets, but not too high to be unplayable. The pickups are fine, they just look a little sloppy without covers, but I really don't care, I'm swapping them soon enough. The top is bookmatched fine, it looks like one piece of wood. There are no flaws that I have noticed in the time I have had this guitar.

I'm guessing this was made recently, I don't know how to read the serial number. It has 22 frets on rosewood. The 60s neck is amazing, not too thin or too wide. The body and neck are both mahogany with a maple top. I have this in the cherry sunburst and it is beautifully done. There is a 500T pickup at the neck and a 496R at the bridge. I plan on swapping the neck one for a fatter pickup in the future, preferably one with a cover. The tuners hold suprisingly well for not locking. Everything else is normal, tune-o-matic, passive electronics, tone and volume for each pickup, and a HardTail stopbar. A nice locking case with a white faux fur kinda thing on the inside came with this.