Les Paul Classic review by Gibson

Gibson: Les Paul Classic

I mostly play Surf Rock, which is mostly dominated by Fender guitars, so this guitar is not really suited for that style of music. I also love classic southern rock, and this guitar suits that style perfectly. I have always wanted a Gibson Les Paul though. So I got one, and I do love this guitar. I use Fender, Marshall, Randall, and Peavey amps, I do have a DigiTech multi-effect unit, and various pedals (wah, overdrive and so on) so I can get a wide range of tones. The pickups are pretty hot, so you gotta use a noise gate when you crank the distortion up. This guitar has a real deep, ballsy tone to it, which I really dig. It's an awesome guitar.

I like to play a lot of styles of music, mostly Surf Rock, but I do enjoy playing Southern rock, hard rock, rockabilly, classic rock, heavy metal, and anything else that rocks. This guitar is a good match for most of the music I play. I play a Fender '62 reissue Jaguar for the Surf stuff, and I use my Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson SG, and my Dean ML for everything else. I wish I would have asked what year it was made, but I guess I can just look that up in the internet. I love the way this guitar feels, I love the way it sounds, and I don't like how the hard case would have cost me almost $200. I spent about 4 hours in Guitar Center trying out guitars, and I was about to give up and go home. Then I saw the Les Paul Classic and asked if I could play it, and I played it for about 5 mins and then I told them I would take it. If it were lost or stolen, I would Like to get another one, but they are just too expensive. I would have to sell a few things to get a new one. I kinda wish it had a highly figured flame top, but that would have added $1,000's to the price tag.

This guitar would withstand Live playing, it is a professional guitar. The hardware seems to be really good, and reliable. The strap buttons are a little small, but they usually are small on Gibson's, so I will be putting in some Dunlop strap locks. I can depend on it, you should never gig without a backup. No matter how good your main guitar is. You never know if you will break a string. It is a lot easier to change guitars in the middle of a show, than it is to change a string.

I bought it at Guitar Center, so it was set-up pretty good, real smooth playing. The bridge pickup was set a little hight, but GC set it up that way, and I lowered it a little when I got it home. The top is a plain top, but it looks to be very slightly figured, kinda like Jimmy Page's old Les Paul. It appears to have been built with really good quality wood. The bridge and tail-piece are perfect, and of real high quality. The finish on this guitar is not perfect, it is kinda bumpy a little, and there are a lot of little bubbles around the neck joint, and the binding is not flush with the body all around. They got a little laquer on the fretboard too. The 3-way Switch pops when you use it.

This Les Paul was made in the USA, not sure of the year because the classic series Les Paul's serial numbers don't read the same as most of the other models. Like most Les Pauls it has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with pearloid trapezoid inlays. It has a true 60's slim-tapered bound mahogany neck set into a chambered mahogany body with a bound carved plain maple top. This is the lightest Les Paul I have ever played, due to the chambered body. It has a 496R ceramic humbucker in the neck position, and a 500T at the bridge position. Mine came in a Vintage sunburst finish. It has the Standard Les Paul control set-up, 2 volume, 2 tone, and a 3-way Switch. I got the last one they had in stock. It has the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with the stop tail-piece, and the classic green Gibson Deluxe tuning keys. I did not get the hard case with it because my wife would only let me spend $1, 700, so I saved about $200. I bought a gigbag to get it home in, and ordered a less expensive case online.

5_Years_Dead
    I prefer my Gibsons to be made in China by experienced 13-year old luthiers. Not that crap that comes from Nashville made by 18-year old mexicans.